Help Using Waves Tune

DallasSteve

7 hours ago, DallasSteve said:

Michael

Are you saying you will process it further with Assistant to show me what it will do?  That's a generous offer, if I understood correctly.  Did you have to pay full price or do they offer discounts sometimes?  Should I get on their mailing list?

hi there. Yes, I said that. Sorry we are in different time zones (I live in Tokyo) so I couldn’t answer sooner. Good to hear you found the results you wanted. I suggest you send me the following:

1. A SMF (standard midi file) or .bun file of your project. As I am not offering to mix this, best is an .mp3 of the track rendered from 0 timeline, and a separate track of the vocal rendered from 0 timeline. The vocal should have no fx. (compression, eq., etc.)

2. A mix of the final song with the voice in it. That way I can see what we are aiming to improve.

You have a demo of Studio? Interesting. I think Assistant is the sweet spot for pricing unless you are planning on tuning separate strings on a guitar or piano then you need to go up.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 7:41 PM, DallasSteve said:

bdickens

That's good advice, especially for musicians on the South side of 60.  And while I'm sure it could help me, too, it wouldn't bring me up to semi-professional level.  My voice is somewhere between Paul McCartney and Clint Eastwood now.  I'm just looking for something that will take my demos out of the "cringe zone".  If there's ever any real future for them I will need to look for a good singer to re-do the vocals.

If you believe that, then it's true. If you believe you can do it, well then that's true too. And if you've decided that you're going to do it, well then nothing on this Earth can stop you.

There's nothing magical about some imaginary number on a calendar that marks a boundary past which you can never learn to do something well. The barrier is in your head.

One of the biggest barriers, too, in our culture is this notion that in order to do anything you have to do it at "professional level" (whatever that is) or you're "no good" and you shouldn't do it at all.

You think you have a terrible voice? So what! I got two words for you: Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan is in the Rock and roll Hall of fame. Bob Dylan won a Nobel prize for literature. Bob Dylan is proof that if the song is good enough, nobody cares what you sound like.

Look, I'm not saying don't ever use pitch correction. What I'm saying is that there is no such thing as" I can't sing."

Even Amy Lee misses the odd note now and again. If you practice so that you can sing in time and in tune then that's so much less correcting that you have to do. Which ultimately makes it easier and ultimately makes for a better end product.

There's also no such thing as "I'm too old." I was in my late 40s before I started learning to play drums. I'll be staring my mid-50s in the face in the not too distant future and I'm fixing to start learning how to play keyboards for real. As a matter of fact, after all this I just might start working on my singing too. Because I can. And I'm the only thing that can stop me.

Edited by bdickens
  • Like 2

bdickens

That's good advice, to a point.  I can believe in myself all I want, and love something from the depths of my soul, but if my dream is to win the 100 meter dash in the Olympics, no amount of belief is going to get me there.  Not today, and probably not even 50 years ago.  I'll mention Clint Eastwood one more time: "A man's got to know his limitations."  But, yeah, Bob Dylan is an awful singer.  Was an awful singer.  He died in 1966 in a motorcycle crash and was replaced with a double who also is a terrible singer.  If you don't believe me, listen to anything he produced after that.  Paul McCartney, on the other hand, is still alive.  Egypt Station proved it.

Edited by DallasSteve

Yeah, well if you paid attention to what these guys were  saying, it's "can you learn to sing? In tune? Of course! Will you be Mariah Carey? Of course not!"

1 hour ago, DallasSteve said:

if my dream is to win the 100 meter dash in the Olympics, no amount of belief is going to get me there. 

But that wouldn't prevent you from being able to complete at some level....

That's a totally invalid comparison and doing so dooms you to failure. Because the fact is that only a scant handful of even the best ( there's that word) runners in the world even get to try out for the Olympic team, let alone actually compete at the games.

See, that's the problem. So many people think that they have to be "the best" (whatever that is) or "professional level" (whatever that is) or they shouldn't do it. 

When you demand all or nothing, nothing is what you usually end up with.

Some years ago, my wife decided she wanted to run a Marathon. So she did.  The short version of the story is that in 6 months she went from not being able to make one lap around the track to completing a Marathon. A real Marathon, not a half one.

Did she win? She didn't even place. In fact, she was the absolute last person across the finish line. Some people see that as failure. People who don't even have the guts to try.

But she ran 26.2 miles.

So what I'm getting at is if you apply yourself you can learn to sing. In tune. Will you ever be singing the lead roles at the Metropolitan Opera? In all honesty, probably not. But STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED. Hell, most opera singers never get to sing at the Met.

But with enough work and determination you might get to sing with a local community production. Or at least well enough for your own demos. And think how much more satisfying it would be (not to mention faster and easier) if you could go knock out two or three takes, pick the best one and only have to use your pitch correction plugin to  nudge just a few not-quite-there notes into place.