Life On Earth Medley by Jake Waidelich

Jake Waidelich

This is another earlier song of mine that I rerecorded a couple years ago using Music Creator 6 and CbB. I was in the middle of a large project when BandLab took over Cakewalk and it took me awhile to make the switch. This song has four different parts and features a blend of acoustic and electric guitars and bass. Often I avoid adding percussion with songs that are mostly acoustic guitar driven since I usually have trouble programming drums and they don't seem as necessary. 

21 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Jake , I thought the acoustic guitar was Very well recorded. The song sure had a Floydish feel to me. Some reverb from each guitar feeding the opposite side of the spectrum would be nice .   It felt too hard panned to me.   Still nice ..   mark

Thanks for your comments! It is easy for me to overdo reverb and stereo effects so I try not to have them overtake the song. Lately I've been working on multiple reverb buses that have different reverb to see if it is a better option for my songs. Did you listen with headphones or speakers? 

Jake , I listened on laptop with headphones. On monitors I'm sure there would be much better bleed over.  With only a couple of instruments , I think hard panning (or near it) sounds less than ideal with headphones especially if the tracks are pretty dry.  Just my opinion .    mark

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Jake 

I listened on Monitors and the panning didn't bother me too much - i did feel the bass could do with some work - was a little muddy/muffled sounding on my system

Otherwise enjoyed the track

Nigel

Thanks for comment and listening! I record my bass DI and have been working on getting best tone/EQ and using amp sims to give a fuller sound. For this song, I purposely tried to keep the bassline from overpowering the song by putting a piece of rubber foam under my strings at the bridge to give a muted bass sound. I probably should have compensated more with EQ to make sure it wasn't too muted. My reason for doing so was that I thought it was too busy the way I normally play/record bass.

On 8/20/2021 at 12:15 PM, DeeringAmps said:

I had to bail. I’m in the car and nothing really sounds “right”. 

Well that's unfortunate. Not sure why it sounds so muddy. I tested it on a few different listening devices at home but don't have a car stereo to try it on. Just to be clear, the first 15 seconds is the original recording from 1990 which is very muffled and one of the reasons I'm re-recording my songs. 

Jake the listening environment in the Van is a hot mess.
But I'm on the DT 990's now, much improved translation now.

5 hours ago, Jake Waidelich said:

first 15 seconds is the original recording from 1990 is very muffled

Yep!

t

Where did you find the video footage?
That was something...

• Like 1