Does anyone know where I can get Sonar 8.5?

rev

There is no legal way to get 8.5. It’s not for sale by the original vendor anymore. They are long gone.
I doubt if there is a legal unopened box sitting around. There will be lots of ripped off copies on eBay. But what sort of fool pays for an old version of free software? 

If you liked it that much you should have backed it up. I have mine as an ISO file. But it’s registered to me and it’s illegal to resell or copy for any one but me. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 6:24 PM, John Vere said:

But it’s registered to me and it’s illegal to resell or copy for any one but me.

Maybe...

Technically, I think it is illegal (violates the license terms) to transfer your license to the software. Presumably, the OP has a valid license for his own copy, but just lost the installation discs. I expect that he could install the software from any distribution medium, but to activate and use it legally he would need his own activation key. Not all jurisdictions even support that license provision, so if two people are in such a jurisdiction, they could "legally" transfer the software.

Edited by slartabartfast
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, slartabartfast said:

Maybe...

Technically, I think it is illegal (violates the license terms) to transfer your license to the software. Presumably, the OP has a valid license for his own copy, but just lost the installation discs. I expect that he could install the software from any distribution medium, but to activate and use it legally he would need his own activation key. Not all jurisdictions even support that license provision, so if two people are in such a jurisdiction, they could "legally" transfer the software.

Actually I never thought of that. So any one of us could give the OP our copy of Sonar 8.5 as an ISO image and if they have a serial number and activation code they would be good to go.   But I have a feeling this OP might not have safely stored that information. They have wandered off anyways so I guess we need more info from them first.  

@User 905133  I don't see Sonar 8 on my Products page I think it was not part of that system. But then again I might not of bothered to register it. In those days I just would install, use the serial numbers and use it. X1 LE was the first version of Sonar I registered. I still have the original disk for Guitar Studio 6. I got that free with a piece of Roland gear. 

On 8/12/2021 at 6:06 PM, John Vere said:
On 8/12/2021 at 3:13 PM, slartabartfast said:

Maybe...

Actually I never thought of that. So any one of us could give the OP our copy of Sonar 8.5 as an ISO image and if they have a serial number and activation code they would be good to go.   But I have a feeling this OP might not have safely stored that information. They have wandered off anyways so I guess we need more info from them first.  

@User 905133  I don't see Sonar 8 on my Products page I think it was not part of that system. But then again I might not of bothered to register it. In those days I just would install, use the serial numbers and use it. X1 LE was the first version of Sonar I registered. I still have the original disk for Guitar Studio 6. I got that free with a piece of Roland gear. 

Re: slartabartfast's comment and your reply: 

(1) I thought of the same thing as slartafast yesterday because it was consistent with what I remembered from reading the old SONAR license agreements and things that I have read in the forum. 

(2) Historically I made hard copies (and sometimes screen shots) of my Serial Numbers and Registration Codes. I have no idea if I am the only one who did things like that.

Re: Your not seeing Sonar 8 (and serial numbers / registration codes) via the help links:

(1) I cannot make any guesses why not. Maybe I was lucky, because:

(2) here's part of my list (without the numbers and the dates which I will not give to anyone--except maybe my children as part of my estate)

image.png.c9dd887c89d6ce7ecdaf9e6128aa03ad.png 

(3) Per the background/explanation on the Bandlab help page I linked, I do remember learning about the opportunity to sign up for the online system and I remember thinking at the time it was a good idea (that is, it made sense to me to sign up for the account).  I have no idea how many people opted for those accounts, how many didn't, or even how I was notified of the option.  I know I was on the TTS/Cakewalk mailing list, so maybe it was in a periodic mailer.

(4) If I recall correctly (in my case, not sure about others), X1 Producer was posted to my account before others that I purchased earlier (5, 6, 8.5, etc.). On my personal list, those have a date later than X1; however, 3 was backdated to 2003.  I don't think any of my purchases before 3 were entered into my online account.

(5) I have no explanations for the whys; just saying that at least in my case pre-X1 products were added and are still there.  (I checked before posting the link.)

@rev You might want to check the Bandlab help link I gave above.  If you created the type of account that will give you your list of early SONAR products, perhaps that will help. **

UPDATE:  **This path won't help since you don't have copies of the disks.

Edited by User 905133
edited the last sentence to make it more accurate

Having an old Cakewalk SSO account does not help with the search for SONAR 8.5 software unless one has SONAR 8 disks.

SONAR 8.5 was the first downloadable upgrade, however; the download is not a complete version of the DAW.

The download contains only the files needed to upgrade an existing SONAR 8 install.

The installer will not run if SONAR 8 is not installed.

The upgrade on disk like all previous upgrades was a complete version.

The first complete downloadable upgrade was SONAR X1.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I will not give to anyone--except maybe my children as part of my estate

Actually, the non-transferrable licenses are just that--non-transferrable. You cannot sell, give away, bequeath. share, use as a settlement for a lawsuit or otherwise effectively allow another user to ever use them. When you die, the license dies. 

One way to look at this is that it has never been your software, or your license, you are just the licensee for a product that Cakewalk retained the rights to. Any use of Cakewalk's software outside the terms of the license are just plain not licensed uses. This is  just one of the more egregious aspects of the licensed-not-sold model for software, but so far it has withstood legal challenges in the US at least. 

Edited by slartabartfast

10 hours ago, John Vere said:

one of us could give the OP our copy of Sonar 8.5 as an ISO image and if they have a serial number and activation code they would be good to go.

I asked the OP the question re serial numbers when I made my first post. No response so far.

11 hours ago, User 905133 said:

(2) here's part of my list (without the numbers and the dates which I will not give to anyone--except maybe my children as part of my estate)

1 hour ago, slartabartfast said:

Actually, the non-transferrable licenses are just that--non-transferrable. You cannot sell, give away, bequeath. share, use as a settlement for a lawsuit or otherwise effectively allow another user to ever use them. When you die, the license dies. 

Not a big deal to me; I don't think they would be interested in the ancient software.  And I certainly wouldn't want the copyright/license enforcement police coming after me.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, slartabartfast said:

as a note: only if you install the software and agree to the license. the purchase and resale of un-opened (or un-installed) software has no binding on the purchaser (or resellers wouldn't be able to resell the products even if authorized by the vendor) because of the non-transfer agreed only when clicking the accept button or checking the accept box. the exception would be if you signed up for a constraint solely on the purchase.

with modern digital online software, they circumvent the problem by assigning the license to an individual account versus having it attached to the CD (or DVD) case. so without advocating any copyright violation, the old hard license versions, if unused and not bound by a purchase license restriction, could be resold (we know because resellers do it all the time) but modern software, especially subscriptions, are now controller by user accounts (imho a much better approach since it also makes it possible for software to be portable across systems if that is an option).

Edited by Glenn Stanton

My understanding (which could very well be wrong) is that Gibson sold certain intellectual property to BandLab. I wonder if that included older versions of Sonar. It probably did, but if not, maybe no one owns the "rights," in the sense of being able or willing to enforce those rights.