Time For New Computer? Or Can I Make This Work?

BradAllenMusic

I'm about ready to buy computer and start over. Why? In a nut shell many years ago I bought an old Dell Computer with Windows XP pro. Upgraded ram, installed new hard-drive to handle all the wave files, etc. Computer isn't connected to internet. Stripped down so it's a dedicated computer running nothing but Cakewalk.

Recently started recording my jazz trio in my basement. 6 mics going in plus one midi instrument.   It's using one soft Smyth - the piano that comes built-in with cakewalk. Not using any effects at all for recording. 

I have to keep restarting my computer after every take. Otherwise the file quickly becomes corrupt and ruins the take we just did. Starts making a horrible noise. 

Anyone have any solutions or do I need a new computer?  Btw I've never updated any drivers. Felt this might make things worse. 

Currently using XP Professional  5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 build 2600

Processor:  x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel 2394 Mhz

This is a Pentium 4 CPU 2.40Ghz,  2.39 gHz, 3.62 GB of RAM

Sonar Home Studio 9

Thanks

So you have to ask yourself, what does restarting a computer do that solves the problem? Buffer flushing comes to mind, which might suggest a problem with the way your hard drive is working. Given the paltry details about what "corruption" means, and how a "horrible sound" sounds, the best I can suggest is to run the manufacturer's drive testing software, or acquire an old but reputedly working pull hard drive from another old computer and run from that as a test. Prior to that, however, check to see that write caching is not active in your OS, and if so try not using it to see if it helps.

I would hesitate to buy a new computer (and certainly a used computer) until Microsoft comes up with final requirements for Windows 11. I have a half a dozen computers (some pretty recent builds) that look like they will not run Win11 without a kludge, if at all.

https://www.zubairalexander.com/blog/how-to-disable-write-caching-in-windows-xp/

• Like 2

Oh wow I didn't think anyone was still running V9

I had Pro Audio 9 back in the day but that was like 20 years ago ,  can't even remember what it was like now. Things have moved on so much I would just buy a new PC and get your free copy of CBB

As to what to buy depends on your budget and what you need it to do ? And whether you are happy to build your own or want off the shelf.

• Like 2

Thanks for your feedback. I will try the suggestions and see what happens. I'd like to just get it working properly if possible. I really have no need for all the new technology at the moment. I have tried the newest version of Cakewalk on my ASUS laptop and it runs fine, at least recording one track at a time. Would need to buy a new usb interface though to record the whole band. 

I do have access to another brand new laptop but the speed is only 1.2 ghz.  Would the new usb interfaces work with Cakewalk on a computer that slow if I was trying to record 6 tracks at once? 

Yes, at this point, you need to be using a new(er) computer. A Pentium 4 with 4G of RAM and a spinny hard drive is not adequate in this day and age. It's a museum piece. The only thing I can think of to do with such a system is install Lubuntu and use it for web browsing.

You don't mention what the full specs of your laptops are, but if they have at least 8G RAM and i5 processors, you should be able to record 6 tracks at once using Cakewalk by BandLab. Better still if they have SSD's.

However, you also need to drop a couple of hundy on an interface that can handle 6 inputs. Look for used on Craig's List or Reverb.com.

Your XP system has had a long, long life and you've saved a lot of money by keeping it running. It's time to invest that money in newer hardware.

• Like 3

As far as live recording of audio goes you don’t need much but the interface is the more critical part of the system. 
Example I can record a 1 hour set of 14 tracks with my Tascam us1641 into a 2008 Sony laptop. It does have a SSD drive and running W7.

You need the computer horsepower for processing with plug ins and what not. But live audio recording needs the fast hard drive and of course the interface to get the mikes hooked up. 

• Like 2

I know only one modern solution which can survive offline as long as your Pentium4+XP+Home studio:  RPi4/Intel i3+/AMD equivalent +SSD +Linux supported audio interface +REAPER 🙄

Otherwise any half way modern computer + SSD + Win10 + Cakewalk + any audio interface (with sufficient inputs) should do the trick. Just be prepared you have to go online periodically. Modern Windows and Cakewalk like be online, at least from time to time.

I was keeping XP as long as I could. But that time is over. The same for Pentium4 and HDDs (except for backup or huge data).