Eventide Flashback Sale - Eventide H949 Multi-Effects Harmonizer with Deglitching Plugin

cclarry

Thanks for posting. All the audio nerds out there will revel in the accompanying blog that tells the deep history of the H949. 

This month we’re taking a look back at the first Intelligent Audio Processor, the H949 Harmonizer®. Introducing the terms "algorithm" and "micropitch" to the audio lexicon, the H949 represented a major advance in the very notion of an effects box. It was able to analyze audio in real-time and make decisions based on that analysis. It was used to create new sounds and to correct pitchy tracks. Among so much more.

Read all about the history of this device in our #50thFlashback blog.

• Thanks 1

The H949's algorithm is more defined than the H910 (hence all the hoopla around 'de-glitched') and is capable of multiple effects (delay, flange, pitch shift, reverse). You should try out the demo & play with it. The H910 has its own sound and is great for certain tasks and tricks just as the H949 is in it's own way, but the H949 came after so the technology was a bit more advanced for it's day. Read all about it in this blog: https://www.eventideaudio.com/blog/aagnello/flashback-7-h949-harmonizer

Edited by Orville
  • Thanks 1

Today we released part 2 of our H949 blog and I wanted to share it with any fellow gear-nerds out there. 

https://www.eventideaudio.com/blog/aagnello/flashback-72-h949-new-one

Flashback 7.1, “Ding Dong! The Glitch is Dead,” took a deep dive into the technology at the heart of de-glitching pitch change, an advance that made tuning pitchy voices and instruments practical for the first time. Now, let’s return from our ramble down Nerd Boulevard and learn some of the other reasons why so many H910 fans sprung for over $11,000 (in 2021 dollars) to buy an H949 as soon as it hit the market. The H949 greatly expanded the sonic horizon of the simpler H910. The rapid advance of technology made improvements impossible to resist and new features possible to imagine. Plus, we had the benefit of users’ suggestions and pleas.

rep_8%EF%80%A21979.jpeg

The H910’s designer, Tony Agnello, knew what he wanted and needed to do next. Some things were obvious, others less so. To accomplish some of the ideas he had in mind, his first step was to design a compute engine that could generate as many memory addresses as possible for each audio sample. By designing a primitive yet really fast address computation machine, the H949’s design made possible unprecedented digital muckery, as implied by the front panel control legends:

functions.png

So New, So Cool

In 1980, Suzanne Ciani demonstrated her “Voice Box, ” which featured an H949, to the amusement and bemusement of David Letterman and his national audience:

Read the whole part 2 of the blog here: https://www.eventideaudio.com/blog/aagnello/flashback-72-h949-new-one

• Like 3

@Orville

I have the plugin and it's great, highly recommend it....I have an original h949 (plus an instant flanger and instant phaser)  ;) - always scared to power it on as I think I'd struggle to repair it if it went bang.

just wanted to say I really enjoy all these flashback blogs...keep 'em up  👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 2:38 PM, simon said:

@Orville

I have the plugin and it's great, highly recommend it....I have an original h949 (plus an instant flanger and instant phaser)  ;) - always scared to power it on as I think I'd struggle to repair it if it went bang.

just wanted to say I really enjoy all these flashback blogs...keep 'em up  👍

Thanks so much! Here's FLASHBACK 7.3:

H949 Harmonizer® — Bending, Stretching, and Twisting Time

In the first two parts of the H949 Harmonizer tale, you learned how the H949 built upon the legacy of the H910, offering de-glitched pitch-change for improved accuracy and a bevy of new features. With expanded options like Random delay mode and MicroPitch, the H949 set the standard for faithful, fine-tuned double-tracking emulation and pitch correction, which saved a lot of time in the studio when re-recording was not an option. Even in live sound, a brave engineer could use it to perfect pitch on the spot, in front of a live audience! But beyond being an intelligent pitch-shifting tool, with options like Repeat, Delay, and Flange, artists and engineers could achieve huge, layered sounds that soared to harmonious—or cacophonous—new heights.

The H949 has been a go-to device for engineers on classic songs and albums by the likes of Prince, Frank Zappa, the Ramones, and artists of today like Ty Segall. We reached out to a few of the H949’s devoted users for their take on what has made this box so special, and integral, to their processes for over four decades: 

Joe%20Berger%20Quote%20(3).jpg

CHECK OUT ALL THE INTERVIEWS AND FULL BLOG HERE: https://www.eventideaudio.com/blog/aflink/flashback-73-h949-harmonizer-bending-stretching-and-twisting-time

• Like 1