Drawing in the Controller Pane: Controller measures are inaccurate

Dave G

Question

I'm trying to draw lines in to the controller pane (expression, velocity, pan, etc.). For example, let's say I draw a 1/16th-step line from -2180 to 0.

When I finish the controller, the final node ends up a few hundred steps off, like -2180 to -463. You can see the final level doesn't sit exactly at 0, and that final step in the Event list confirms this. This just started for me recently.

Has anyone had this happen? What's the fix for this and how can I get accurate controller measures like I used to?

Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

Controllers and velocities only have values between 0 and 127.  Can you explain how you are getting values -2180 to 0

My specific workaround is to use CAL scripts to generate lines. 

I have one CAL script that draws a straight line between two controllers values, using the values as the start and end values (any controller values between get replaced with the line)

One other CAL script generates a line that starts from 127 and ends in a value that I choose

I have another CAL script that generates a line that starts from a value that I choose and ends in 127.

I have written these scripts myself and are very specific to my workflow - they are not supplied with CbB

I think, for you, a workaround might be to use the “Insert Series of Controllers” command under the “Insert” menu to generate a line.  (make sure selection marker is set)

1 minute ago, Promidi said:

Controllers and velocities only have values between 0 and 127.  Can you explain how you are getting values -2180 to 0

I apologize for the confusion. In my scenario, I'm referring to the Pitch Wheel.

When I draw a line within the Controller Pane for the Pitch Wheel, the resulting measure will be a few hundred off from the intended value.

6 minutes ago, Dave G said:

I apologize for the confusion. In my scenario, I'm referring to the Pitch Wheel.

When I draw a line within the Controller Pane for the Pitch Wheel, the resulting measure will be a few hundred off from the intended value.

My initial reply still applies - just substitute Controller with Pitch Wheel  (the range changes from 0 to 127 to -8192 to 8191)

I have written those CAL scripts for Pitch wheel events as well.  I select two pitch bend events - the CAL scripts or generates (or replaces the events between) a straight line.  This gives me a perfect glide every time.

Another CAL script I have written for pitch bends is one that replaces the last of a group of selected pitch bend events with zero value.  I got tired of overshooting the zero line when mouse drawing a series of pitch bend events.  The CAL scripts just replaces the last pitch bend event with a zero value (preventing unintended slight detunes).

The “Insert Series of Controllers” command also allows you to select Pitch Wheel events as well.  The trick is, however, is getting the values right if they are not min  or max.

In my case, I just use my CAL scripts (with Studioware panels) - much easier for my workflow.

Edited by Promidi