Neil Peart Kit for Cakewalk Session Drummer

cclarry

50 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

Well. I am throwing in Jim Keltner into the thread. I saw him live with Little Village (Ry Cooder and Nick Lowe in the band) a long time ago and he totally blew me away by what he was doing live. It sounded like there were two drummers on stage. He usually doesn't over play on records, but one of the most mesmerizing drummers I ever saw live.

Cool interview withe guy

JK sat in with The Fab Faux a few years back here in L.A. He hardly hit the skins. Good thing Rich Pagano was playing alongside of him. At least I could hear Rich. BTW I was in the 5th row so I was hearing the stage not the P.A.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Love to see love for other drummers even while Neil is a legend.  Especially a lot of names that are not always on the tip of everybody's tongue like Jim Keltner, Manu Katché, and others.  There are also some more "hired guns" like Paul McCartney's current touring drummer Abe Laboriel Jr (also did a ton of tours with Sting, Seal, and others) who deserve more attention.

Speaking of "hired guns", the "Wrecking Crew" is an awesome documentary film about the session musicians (unsung heroes) famed for having played on numerous hit recordings throughout the 1960s and early 1970s. https://www.imdb.com/video/vi801225241?playlistId=tt1185418&ref_=tt_ov_vi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrecking_Crew_(2008_film)

The-wrecking-crew.png

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, bdickens said:

I'm not sure where this came from; John Lennon never said anything of the sort and in fact had nothing but praise for Mr. Starkey's playing.

I always thought he was just having fun at Ringo's expense, similar to the story about the lyrics to "With A Little Help From My Friends" being a jibe at his singing.  Turns out that this was a joke from a comedian that got picked up by The London Times and got misattributed.

19 hours ago, bdickens said:

I'm not sure where this came from; John Lennon never said anything of the sort and in fact had nothing but praise for Mr. Starkey's playing.

actually one of the documentaries had the video clip of John saying "he isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles" after a reporter asks "are you the best drummer in the world"? and of course they're all joking around. Ringo himself in another documentary mentions how he was working with 3 frustrated drummers and his work was the result of trying to mediate them - again mainly in jest... what i found really cool is: he's a lefty who plays on a right hand kit. which is why most of his rolls are confusing to right hand drummers trying to emulate him... him being the greatest drummer after Rich and Peart 😉 

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, abacab said:

Speaking of "hired guns", the "Wrecking Crew" is an awesome documentary film about the session musicians (unsung heroes) famed for having played on numerous hit recordings throughout the 1960s and early 1970s.

That's a great documentary.  Hal Blaine, of course,  was their drummer,  and kingpin of the group.  But there was also Earl Palmer who was equally proficient.

For the Wrecking Crew film,  Tommy Tedesco has some great stories! And Carole Kaye is still a top bass player.

• Like 1

Talking about the Crew, you can’t discount the remarkable and bizarre story of Jim Gordon. In addition to doing thousands of sessions, also played with Traffic, Derek and the Dominoes, Zappa, Delaney and Bonnie, Alice Cooper, Plastic Ono, etc. Geez, he even co-authored (arguably) the coda to Layla. Amazingly versatile and distinctive drummer. Undone apparently by his then undiagnosed schizophrenia, and murder of his mother (for which he now serves a life sentence at Vacaville).

Other “character” drummers I dig are the inimitable Bernard Purdie, and yes Charlie Watts whose meanderings around the beat with Keef have always been an integral part of the Stones sound. Feel better Charlie!!

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1