Neil Peart Kit for Cakewalk Session Drummer

cclarry

13 minutes ago, abacab said:

And while the list of great drummers keeps growing, let's add Phil Collins (and Chester Thompson) of Genesis!

“I think Selling England By The Pound is an enduring masterpiece of drumming. Beautiful drumming, lovely sound, and the arrangements, I think they really nailed the best of what that band as an entity could have done with that album” – Neil Peart on Phil Collins

• Like 5
  • Great Idea 1

5 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

“I think Selling England By The Pound is an enduring masterpiece of drumming. Beautiful drumming, lovely sound, and the arrangements, I think they really nailed the best of what that band as an entity could have done with that album” – Neil Peart on Phil Collins

What a tribute!!! :)

Edited by abacab

1 minute ago, Grem said:

Mark is one of the best unsung rockers from the early days. 

A guitar player that I know well, Terry Liedel, also auditioned for Grand Funk...
He didn't make the cut...but Mark still hangs out in the group we all hang
out it at an annual event called "Barnfest" - a charity Weekend of concerts
held in a big Barn in Linden, MI.   A different Band every hour on the stage for 3 consecutive
nights.  Our band played it twice...

• Like 4

10 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Manu Katché

I saw him on a Peter Gabriel documentary recently telling the story of when he first worked with him on the album "So". PG was well known for doing take after take of absolutely everything and then obsessively spending hour upon hour poring over them all, which cost him a fortune in studio time and was the main reason he set up his own studio at his home. After recording his take on the first track, PG asked him to do it again. He asked what was the point as he'd already done it and was happy with his interpretation and refused to do it again. If looks could kill............ :)  

I don't know much about most of the other previously mentioned drummers TBH, but to throw another name into the mix I've always thought Jonathan Moffett is right up there. Steve Ferrone is no slouch either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulo said:

don't know much about most of the other previously mentioned drummers TBH, but to throw another name into the mix I've always thought Jonathan Moffett is right up there. Steve Ferrone is no slouch either.

Jeff Porcaro is of TOTO fame but also a well respected session drummer before he died ( aged 38 ). See the list of bands and artists he did session work with. A veritable whos who

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Porcaro#Career

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Jeff Porcaro is of TOTO fame but also a well respected session drummer before he died ( aged 38 ). See the list of bands and artists he did session work with. A veritable whos who

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Porcaro#Career

One of my favourite bands Jeff Porcaro did session work with is Scottish band LOVE AND MONEY. A most amazing album y'all should go listen to is called STRANGE KIND OF LOVE ( on spotify etc ). Here is the title track with JEFF, listen to the sound, that snare hit coming in after intro vox at 1.19

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, abacab said:

Then you are all set!

By the way, I've seen 2 live Rush concerts with Neil. He was probably the best rock drummer ever! 😎

Rush shows (and Neil's massive part in the spectacle) were amazing.  Started with Signals, personally, and they only got better.  I admit it wasn't possible to keep Geddy's voice to stay the course in the later years but if people skipped shows for that they only have themselves to blame for missing legendary performances.

• Like 4

Well. I am throwing in Jim Keltner into the thread. I saw him live with Little Village (Ry Cooder and Nick Lowe in the band) a long time ago and he totally blew me away by what he was doing live. It sounded like there were two drummers on stage. He usually doesn't over play on records, but one of the most mesmerizing drummers I ever saw live.

Cool interview withe guy

• Like 3

Love to see love for other drummers even while Neil is a legend.  Especially a lot of names that are not always on the tip of everybody's tongue like Jim Keltner, Manu Katché, and others.  There are also some more "hired guns" like Paul McCartney's current touring drummer Abe Laboriel Jr (also did a ton of tours with Sting, Seal, and others) who deserve more attention.

• Like 4