Bit Depth, Sample Rate and ASIO drivers

Error message is "audio device not available" when opening existing projects created on prior versions of CW and with different ad converter and ASIO driver.

Traced this back to Bit Depth settings. I used to record at 16 bits for CD compatibility and file size. My current  config is CWbyBL connected to XR18 mixer. The bit depth setting is greyed out and can not be changed in CW but shows 24 . Sample rate is set to 48 on CW. When opening existing projects On the track control bar it shows 44.1/16. All this works if I use the MME drivers but there are quality of sound issues then and I prefer the ASIO drivers.

So whats the deal here? I suspect that the ASIO drivers for the XR18 are only capable of 24 bit depth and CW can not, or will not, change that. Is that the case? If I re-import the audio tracks they all work but still show the old 44.1/16 settings on the control bar. Problem with that is I lose all the automation which is extensive for some projects.

Anyone have a good handle on how this all interacts or a link to such an explanation. I'm not above RTFM, but there really is no manual that covers this stuff.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Eurika, now I understand. Two different bit depth settings. I found the Recording Bit Dept setting under Audio Data and that changes the Transport display.  Since you seem to know what you are talking about, any suggestions on what these should be set to for both compatibility and quality issues given that my driver only supports 24 bit?  Also what is Render Bit Depth and how does that fit in? If a previous project was recorded at 16 and I import the tracks with import audio set to 24, will it convert automatically during the import process?

Sorry to bother you but you solved a VERY perplexing problem for me. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, 

Usually record bit depth should be set to driver bit depth.

The default settings for render bit depth (32) and import bit depth (Original) are fine.

Projects can operate with clips at different bit depths.

Imported clips follow the import bit depth setting. Import bit depth set to "Original" means the clip bit depth is unchanged on import.

In short,

use the ASIO driver

set record bit depth to 24

leave render bit depth at 32

leave import bit depth at Original

These setting will work fine for your existing projects recorded at 16bit and going forward. The only difference is new clips will be recorded at 24bit.

2 hours ago, synkrotron said:

I guess that as I am happy with 24 bit I can't see a reason for rendering stuff to 32bit.

Am I misunderstanding something?

There is no reason. You can render to 24 bit 44.100 k/hz 'till the cows come home and sound GREAT if you now how to record, you can mix down to industry standard 16 bit. Rendering to 32 bit isn't going to change or prove your skill level. Quite the contrary. 

• Thanks 1