received mono stems rendered as stereo -question

It actually wasn't a Client, It was the other way around I think as he called him "The Hired Gun" so in that case you do have the right to dictate the way you want things. I do believe Michael has payed a drummer to do these tracks. It is different if a client brings tracks to you and askes you to add stuff or mix them.  

true enough, but if i'm doing a mix for someone and they've sent me stereo (dual mono) files, i will strip off one side so i'm working with a mono source (the original files are kept intact) because they're paying me to mix, not worry over silly export mistakes or technical clean up details. pretty sure i've never heard a client mention they wanted loud lip smacks or breath noises on the final ready to master output 😉 of course if there is an odd note out of place which needs moving, i'll prep a short segment so they can hear the before and after and decide... i always keep in mind what "You Are So Beautiful" would have been if the engineer hadn't fought to keep the dry mouth recording of Joe Cocker on the end, versus the "perfect" second take the producer wanted...

• Like 1

ha. Nothing new here, but thanks. Yes, 10 songs LOL! -not 80 tracks of drums for one song. And yes, my clients all know to send mono files. In this case, I hired a drummer on fiverr because I needed a quick job done, specifically wrote a note stating what I wanted but I didn't get what I asked for. This was not a "client" whose songs I am mixing. I was seeking a drum track from a drummer for a project I am/was working on.

As for the import as mono function, it imports as left and right. Hence, my original question - what would be the difference in loading the files into SF or just importing them. Anyway, this was fun. Thanks everyone. I just left them as is and confirmed that the OH were indeed stereo but the rest mono.

12 hours ago, Michael Fogarty said:

ha. Nothing new here, but thanks. Yes, 10 songs LOL! -not 80 tracks of drums for one song. And yes, my clients all know to send mono files. In this case, I hired a drummer on fiverr because I needed a quick job done, specifically wrote a note stating what I wanted but I didn't get what I asked for. This was not a "client" whose songs I am mixing. I was seeking a drum track from a drummer for a project I am/was working on.

As for the import as mono function, it imports as left and right. Hence, my original question - what would be the difference in loading the files into SF or just importing them. Anyway, this was fun. Thanks everyone. I just left them as is and confirmed that the OH were indeed stereo but the rest mono.

Michael not sure you saw my post about using Gold Wave to batch convert the files. Takes seconds. Gold Wave is free to use with a Nag. 

On 8/10/2021 at 4:45 AM, John Vere said:

It actually wasn't a Client, It was the other way around I think as he called him "The Hired Gun" so in that case you do have the right to dictate the way you want things. I do believe Michael has payed a drummer to do these tracks. It is different if a client brings tracks to you and askes you to add stuff or mix them.  

agreed - thanks John.