Copying Events From Two Similar Tracks

Eamon McMullen

Question

This feels like one of those questions I should just be able to google and get the answer to quickly, but I'm having trouble with how to word it to get relevant results.

I have two tracks (a guitar amp and DI) that were both recorded a the same time, with lots and lots of multiple takes of each part. I spent a good amount of time splicing together the best takes of each part, making sure there were no hiccups using  the guitar amp track, and then realized I needed to do the same thing to the DI track. Is there a way to effectively copy the formatting of the amp track over to the DI track easily? 

In the future, is there a way to link them so that when I splice takes together on one track, the same thing happens to the other track automatically?

Thank you so much! If this is a thing, I'd also love what the proper terminology is!

4 answers to this question

No I understand what your saying. That's a tough one though. 

Only thing I could think of is to record all those takes as a stereo track with the DI in the left and the Amp on the right. Then once you have completed all the editing you could separate them into two mono tracks. 

There a way to link tracks but only if you clone the same track. 

scook has you covered on how to do it right next time. For fixing it after the fact you're going to have to fool Cakewalk into referencing the DI audio files to the edited clips in a copy of the Amp track. This might sound whacky, but it should work, and it's the only way:

- Right-click each take clip in the DI track and choose Associated Audio Files to confirm which file (especially Rec numbers) is referenced by each clip (make some notes if needed). 

- Save As a copy of the project with a new name to a new folder with Copy All Audio enabled, and close the project.

- Go into the audio folder of the new project, and delete the Amp track's audio files (it's an independent copy, no worries).

- Open the new project, and when Cakewalk complains that the Amp track's audio files are missing, select the option to Reference Files from the Current Location, select the corresponding DI audio file for that take, and confirm that the name change is okay. Do this for each of the missing files.

- Open the original Project, delete the unedited take clips from the DI track, and then copy-paste the edited clips from the Amp track in the new project into the DI track of the old project. The clips in that project should automatically reference the local copies of the DI files.

- Save the changes, and you should be good to go. If it turns out you need to make more edits, manually create the needed selection groups of corresponding clips across the two tracks before you edit.

• Like 1