So, Do You Want Me?

Barry Seymour

Barry . . . another great tune, from that big heart ! You're not just a storyteller, but an insightful storyteller . . . yes the lyrics and your vocal performance are top of the shelf (where grandma keeps the cookies, as they say here in Canada) 

Since you mention this is MIX 1 . . . I noticed the feel at the start, or maybe it's the drum fills, feels a little clumsy . . . though it certainly gets it's mojo after that. I was expecting the guitar solo earlier, but you've gone past that 4:00 min pop song limit in order to tell the full story, so it works out fine . . . may I say I never lost interest, it unfolds very well, and the ending is excellent. That background instrument, think it's horns ? . . . you've got it mixed louder in the end . . . and I thought it could be a bit louder when you use it earlier in the song. Looking forward to MIX 2, it's gonna be great if you keep working it, others here will have ideas too, I'm sure.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words.

I do struggle with playing to the drum part - it's so slow! Trying to find that groove.

As for the pad, it's the basic string pad, the free strings that come with Cakewalk. Still not thinking they're as natural-sounding as I'd like.  I'm trying to build them slowly to a crescendo at the end, but maybe I can start from a slightly louder place.

Thanks!

It does sound like some timing issues here and there. I think the vocal is too out front. The bass is pretty weak too. The reverb is kind of intense especially on the drums. It will be a good song when you're finished no doubt, nice guitar work as always.

• Like 1

Lyrics are a standout for me, and chordally those changes hold a lot of interest. Nice tune developing, and I prefer the vocal nice and out front on this, nice pipes!

For me the snare needs to have less reverb and a bit more snap/crack. It's mixed like it's in a parking garage and almost sounds like a high tom. Might be worth an experiment, drying it up?

nice one!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

As ever you tell a story Barry, regards the mix the drums sound a little over reverbed for todays market they also sound a little boxy here.  Something is missing in the bottom end too, I am not hearing much kick weight.

As ever I am sure the mix only needs a subtle tweak or three and you will have another of you good tunes to enjoy.

• Like 1

You pulled the bass up? Seems a little too upfront on the DT990's here.
(bear in mind I've been adding a caveat to all my posts about where my ears are at these days...)
You haven't worked on the drum track?, its seems to "lag" a bit at times.
The snare is late sometimes; maybe. And the snare rolls kind of remind me of John Densmore; seems like he's always a bit late coming out of a roll.
🙃 oh boy, I'll probably catch some crap for that...

I like the tune, but I've mentioned that before.

t

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

You pulled the bass up? Seems a little too upfront on the DT990's here.
(bear in mind I've been adding a caveat to all my posts about where my ears are at these days...)
You haven't worked on the drum track?, its seems to "lag" a bit at times.
The snare is late sometimes; maybe. And the snare rolls kind of remind me of John Densmore; seems like he's always a bit late coming out of a roll.
🙃 oh boy, I'll probably catch some crap for that...

I like the tune, but I've mentioned that before.

t

The drums are by MT PowerDrumKit 2; they're spot on. I suspect it's the playing that's off.  Ugh. Don't wanna go there, but I might have to.

Others have said it needed more bass. Maybe I should back it off a touch.

Thanks...

• Like 1