Humble bundle: Sound Forge Pro 13, core FX, Samplitude Music Studio, Wizard FX, Acid Music Studio 11

Michael Docy

8 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:
3 hours ago, tom said:

2 days left on this bundle, I have SF Pro 12 so not sure if worth. Anyone who's been using pro 13 notice any significant reason to upgrade apart from faster VST scanning? I have RX standard but do prefer the batch processing in Pro 12, only reason I keep it around along with more export options

If you are trying to purge 32 bit. For 25 it is worth it. 

SF12 is 64bit too but the scanner bundled with it is a little buggy.

The problems I had with the SF12 scanner are fixed in SF13. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 minute ago, scook said:

SF12 is 64bit too but the scanner bundled with it is a little buggy.

The problems I had with the SF12 scanner are fixed in SF13. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I skipped 12 and was under impression it was not truly 64 bit.  By the time 12 came around, I was not interested in upgrade at price Magix wanted

13 minutes ago, scook said:

IIRC, Sony had the same high upgrade pricing.

I have used Humble Bundle to upgrade SF a couple of times.

Best audio editor at their prices.

the last couple Sony upgrades were flash sale deals.  otherwise i would have skipped 2.  nice to have Sound Forge back

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 5:08 PM, scook said:

64bit SF12 Pro does support 64bit VST2/3 3rd party plug-ins. I was very happy to pick it up in a Humble Bundle a few years ago, if only to retire my 32bit plug-ins completely. The scanner has issues with a few plug-ins.

I'm sorry, my mistake, there was a problem with the plugin.

If I didn't have version 15, I would immediately buy version 13 - this is a great offer.

But I wouldn't go back from version 15 to version 13.
I work with a lot of voice files. I used the manual mode with Volume and the batch-converter with Wave Hammer (comp + volume maximizer) for a single volume earlier. But some files still required editing. Now it's easier for me and fewer clicks.

Loudness Normalize mode appeared in version 15. This makes it good to have a single volume of each file-23 LUFS without separate edits later. I only compress the peaks and raise the volume to -14 LUFS via Wave Hammer. All this at once in one process in batch-converter.

PS.

I will also add that version 12 is the latest version that can be installed on Windows XP (using NNN Changer). This may be important for those who still use the old, but necessary programs. Version 13 and higher require Windows 7.

Loudness Normalization.png

Edited by dasmode

I wonder why the plugin companies mostly launch nothing but compressors, saturation, distortion, equalizers and synthesizers! IMO they should better invest their manpower in such helpfull plugins like the one above (there are almost no competitors in this area)! Yes, all this editing stuff could also be done straight in the DAWs with plugins (if there were any, except iZotope/Acon Digital ones!), 'cos most DAWs allow also destructive changes with plugins on a selected area (like in an external editor).

9 hours ago, marled said:

I wonder why the plugin companies mostly launch nothing but compressors, saturation, distortion, equalizers and synthesizers! IMO they should better invest their manpower in such helpfull plugins like the one above (there are almost no competitors in this area)! Yes, all this editing stuff could also be done straight in the DAWs with plugins (if there were any, except iZotope/Acon Digital ones!), 'cos most DAWs allow also destructive changes with plugins on a selected area (like in an external editor).

the market for products like Soundforge got reduced by:

1)Free Alternatives like Audacity for basic editing. No audacity is not as good, but for a budget conscious musician who is mostly hobbyist, the expense on top of DAW became less and less appealing

2) Competition from specialized products strictly for mastering (ozone, t-racks, etc) and audio repair/processing (Izotope RX) that left people with choices that favored competition

3) The acquisition of Cool Edit Pro and subsequent change to bundled cloud model which left a lot of us with Audition whether we wanted it or not.  Until I dumped Adobe for good, a product like Sound Forge seemed redundant even though i preferred it to Audition.

4) Guess on my part, but  I think it is easier to market "miracle" compressors and other things that can be pitched as " instant gooderizers" than to make a wave editor sound anything but what it is . I couldn't tell you what the differences were between most of my versions of sound forge over the years because I often followed same workflow.

5) Attempts to do so have fallen flat and younger consumers are less apt to use them.  I remember every interface used to come bundled with either a lite version of wavelab or sound forge. Pretty sure my first versions of either were bundled. They don't bother even doing that anymore because This generation doesn't seem interested. They grew up with audacity and don't see much reason to go beyond that. I have never seen one kid in my studio even open a dedicated wave editing app outside of audacity (and even that is rare) or on their phones.

Unless some trendy gimmick comes along that can only be done in a product like this comes along, I don't see that changing. I missed Sound Forge, but a big chunk of that was nostalgia. I obviously go along fine without it, but i missed the more efficient workflow when editing single wave files. Maybe hit up the suggestion boxes of developers in places like KVR.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

3) The acquisition of Cool Edit Pro and subsequent change to bundled cloud model which left a lot of us with Audition whether we wanted it or not.  Until I dumped Adobe for good, a product like Sound Forge seemed redundant even though i preferred it to Audition.

This is a great summary of the situation.

I was using Cool Edit for batch jobs up until Windows 10. The only reason I got Sound Forge was to replace CE for these jobs. 

It's amazing how good Cool Edit was for it's time. Such a shame Adobe killed it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

This is a great summary of the situation.

I was using Cool Edit for batch jobs up until Windows 10. The only reason I got Sound Forge was to replace CE for these jobs. 

It's amazing how good Cool Edit was for it's time. Such a shame Adobe killed it.

They totally made the focus on video production.   I did love the integration with other adobe products but I loathed using it for music after Adobe got their hands on it.

Going way back with Cakewalk and Sound forge I have always done this:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013099/Adding-third-party-audio-editing-software-to-SONARs-Utilities-menu

It adds SF to the UTILITIES Menu via simple registry edit. After that you just select an audio tracks waveform ( along the track ) and click on UTILITIES/Soundforge ... That audio track wav you selected opens directly in Soundforge for you to edit and then save, live updates inside CW

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Great Idea 1

13 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Going way back with Cakewalk and Sound forge I have always done this:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013099/Adding-third-party-audio-editing-software-to-SONARs-Utilities-menu

It adds SF to the UTILITIES Menu via simple registry edit. After that you just select an audio tracks waveform ( along the track ) and click on UTILITIES/Soundforge ... That audio track wav you selected opens directly in Soundforge for you to edit and then save, live updates inside CW

I have not tried yet for this version. I was thrilled that the elastique timestretch still works in cakewalk.

• Like 1

If you prefer not to edit the registry directly, there is a program to maintain the Utility menu called Tools Editor.

It is part of a suite of utilities I wrote.

Practically anything may be added to the tools section of the Utility menu.

Here is discussion thread with links

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/5/2021 at 4:39 PM, aidan o driscoll said:

A tip for Samplitude Music Studio. In settings / VST it only has one user path you can enter. So same as ABLETON, if you have multiple VST paths  go create a folder called VST PATHS and inside that folder add SHORTCUTS to all your VST folders. Pop this folder in the USER VST FOLDER PATH field and Music Studio will scan the lot via the shortcuts

I know this is years down the line, but somehow, after 15 years using DAWs and other VST-friendly software, I've never known this. Fell across your comment from an unrelated Google search. Made my day. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dirtypants said:

I know this is years down the line, but somehow, after 15 years using DAWs and other VST-friendly software, I've never known this. Fell across your comment from an unrelated Google search. Made my day. Thank you so much!

FYI directory links is also a good alternative. Here are details on how to use them