Set a minimum and a maximum to automation or CC

hadada

I wanna create Portamento effect, So I automated the Tune option of the Plugin(Some plugins does not support bend wheel), it show me -36 to 36st, I just wanna adjust 2 semitones, and when I drag the node it only show me the percentage instead of semitone, it's very inconvenient. Could it be possible to set a range to it.

and sometimes I perfer to draw parameters in CC controller, but the cc values range from 0 to 16383, it is hard to tell where the semitones are.

Edited by hadada

Which synth plugin are you using?  Which CC are you Using? 

You could use a mathematical formula for work out the mapping from CC values to the tuning and then use Articulation Maps to do the conversion.

In the example you provided, you could map -36 --> 36st  to  0 --> 16383.

In that example, if -36 is 0 and 36 is 16383, then the range of -2 to 2 is between 7736 to 8647

To change from 0 to 16383 to -36 to 36, the formula for the conversion is CC = (227.5417 x ST) - 8191.5.  You would need to remove the mantissa.

(I think that's right)

38 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Which synth plugin are you using?  Which CC are you Using? 

You could use a mathematical formula for work out the mapping from CC values to the tuning and then use Articulation Maps to do the conversion.

In the example you provided, you could map -36 --> 36st  to  0 --> 16383.

In that example, if -36 is 0 and 36 is 16383, then the range of -2 to 2 is between 7736 to 8647

To change from 0 to 16383 to -36 to 36, the formula for the conversion is CC = (227.5417 x ST) - 8191.5.  You would need to remove the mantissa.

(I think that's right)

Instruments in Labs and BBC symphony orchestra It seems that they did not support pitch bend wheel and cc65, so I use the global tune in NRPN which is the Tune in these plugins. I think these two are very famous, I don't know if it's my problem.

6 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

You can use an articulation map to clamp or scale the values ( using a MIDI transform articulation )

He would have to use CC6, CC38, CC98 and CC99 events to do this (as LABs uses NRPN 14 for Global Tune). 

Do you have plans to add NRPNs and RPN for the Transforms in the articulation maps?  (I think I’ve already put a FR for this)

2 minutes ago, Promidi said:

He would have to use CC6, CC38, CC98 and CC99 events to do this (as LABs uses NRPN 14 for Global Tune). 

Do you have plans to add NRPNs and RPN for the Transforms in the articulation maps?  (I think I’ve already put a FR for this)

At some point probably, however on 2nd thoughts I'm not sure if this would work in any case with automation envelopes...   he might have to convert them to MIDI CC's first.

10 minutes ago, Promidi said:

No, I tried articulation, I only know how to add keyswitch, have no idea how to add CC.

2 hours ago, hadada said:

image.png.2efc3000c9786db14a9dab2ed551a5ca.png 

It didn't work, Did I do something wrong. 

Use CC, not CC14b

I experimented with an articulation map too and did manage to get the articulation map working - albeit a bit clumsy.

I used generate CC99 > 0 , CC98 > 14  and CC6 > 64 and CC38 > 0 , then transform Wheel -8192 <> 8181 to CC6 61 <> 68

Of course you could use LABS MIDI learn to map a CC to Global Tune in LABS....  but then you’re back to working out the CC values that generate the -2 to 2 semitone range.  Because the tuning range of LABS it so great, there would only be very few usable discreet values anyway.

Any all this fluffing around, it might actually be easier to try and find a VST that actually responds to pitch bends with an actual  -2 to 2 semitone range.

Edited by Promidi

29 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Use CC, not CC14b

I experimented with an articulation map too and did manage to get the articulation map working - albeit a bit clumsy.

I used generate CC99 > 0 , CC98 > 14  and CC6 > 64 and CC38 > 0 , then transform Wheel -8192 <> 8181 to CC6 61 <> 68

Of course you could use LABS MIDI learn to map a CC to Global Tune in LABS....  but then you’re back to working out the CC values that generate the -2 to 2 semitone range.  Because the tuning range of LABS it so great, there would only be very few usable discreet values anyway.

Any all this fluffing around, it might actually be easier to try and find a VST that actually responds to pitch bends with an actual  -2 to 2 semitone range.

image.png.e857d6f0271cfe9f19dc12edcb35e024.png

Doesn't work😭

20 minutes ago, hadada said:

Doesn't work😭

I don't know what to say.  It works here.  

I am assuming you have added the articulation map in the PRV.

Personally, if I wanted a VST that gives accurate pitch bend control, then Spitfire LABS is not it.