IK 25th Anniversary Group Buy!

cclarry

There is a fair amount of probability that IK tuned their software to their mic and it is the best one for it. On the other hand, if like me you already have a less than perfect studio inside a child that left the house's bedroom, it may already a good enough improvment using just about any reference mic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

There is a fair amount of probability that IK tuned their software to their mic and it is the best one for it. On the other hand, if like me you already have a less than perfect studio inside a child that left the house's bedroom, it may already a good enough improvment using just about any reference mic.

The calibration for the IK mic is baked into ARC, but if you have an individually calibrated mic, I wouldn’t expect there to be a difference.

• Thanks 1

Another option may be the iMM6 for $23.25.

Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone for iPhone, iPad Tablet and Android,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ADR2B84/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_SXRBDNH19F75B3JN69MG

Some people have gotten this with an extension cable to be able connect it to a desktop or laptop computer.

There are some compromises going this route (I think it was an issue with measuring the high frequencies) but it’s at such a lower cost of entry.

Edited by ALC

3 hours ago, abacab said:
3 hours ago, Jacques Boileau said:

I would got for the Dayton over Behringer. IIRC the Dayton comes withe a correction file, not the Behringer.

Would there be any advantage with choosing the IK ARC mic?

ARC mic is MEMS tech, both Dayton and Behringer are electret so probably better s/n ratio than MEMS but don't hold the performance consistency with time or due to environmental conditions like the MEMS do. ARC software is tuned best for MEMS, also the Mic Room plugin can take the MEMS sound and tune it to sound like a different mic and with great results. Dayton has the calibration file so that shouldn't be a problem for measuring. Behringer is good and cheap but doesn't have calibration file, you can get a general calibration for it from the web. MEMS for consistency, Dayton for better s/n, Behringer for pennies. Each has it's own plus :).

Edited by chris.r
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Nick Blanc said:

I'm looking around but the ARC mic seems a good option. Not that more expensive and saves some hassle. Would it count towards the GB?

Only the mic? I don't see that option. Pick the ARC3 bundle as your entry (can't pick hardware as freeware in their group buys unfortunately) or get just the software as one of your freeware and then just buy the mic alone separately. That's what I did.

Edited by chris.r
  • Great Idea 1

7 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Only the mic? I don't see that option. Pick the ARC3 bundle as your entry (can't pick hardware as freeware in their group buys) or get just the software as one of your freeware and then just buy the mic alone separately. That's what I did.

Yeah I'm leaning towards that last option. Have you tried the software yet? Any thoughts on CPU usage?

1 minute ago, Jacques Boileau said:

On the subject of mics for ARC3. Isn't ARC3 based on Audissey? If so, would a mic from a Denon Home Theatre receiver that uses Audissey be suitable in any way? I just happen to have one.

Sure, if you can find a calibration file for it.

16 minutes ago, Nick Blanc said:

Have you tried the software yet? Any thoughts on CPU usage?

That's exactly what I wanted to know as well :D I did download and install the software and all seems well but it won't run without the calibration file (I mean a measurement file). And I don't have the mic yet.

Edited by chris.r

4 minutes ago, chris.r said:

That's exactly what I wanted to know as well :D I did download and install the software and all seems well but it won't run without the calibration file. And I don't have the mic yet.

What? ARC won't run without a calibration file? Then mic like the Behringer that do not come with a calibration file would not work with it?

Edited by Jacques Boileau

32 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

What? ARC won't run without a calibration file? Then mic like the Behringer that do not come with a calibration file would not work with it?

Sorry I mean a measurement file.🤦‍♂️ I've corrected my post. Behringer is still fine, don't worry :D 

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Okay GAS got a hold of me and I'm in with Amplitube5. I know these four are for sure items.

Mixbox
ARC System 3 - Software only
Lurssen Mastering Console for Mac/PC
SampleTron 2

You jumped the gun, we are not at 6 freebies yet! 😱

But glad you made it!

Nice set of freebie choices you got there. 👍