Those using image files - beware of Breverb problems!

gmp

Watch out for the new Breverb (Nov 2018) it can cause a lot of headaches. Here's why:

If you revert to an old image file before the time you installed 2018.11 or later and try to play a new song that had the new Breverb, CbB will crash, unless you use the new Breverb. You can't just copy the new Breverb to the VST folder. That will work, but after a while you'll start noticing this very loud clicking sound. 

The problem is you have to register the DLL, like we used to do a decade ago with other plugins. Yet don't bother manually registering it. Whenever you install any newer CbB from 2018.11 on CbB installs the new Breverb and registers the DLL. 

If you don't do this, Breverb is, I suppose, in the demo mode and the clicking is it trying to alert you to upgrade Breverb. I wish an error screen would have come up instead. There's no reason to use the paid Breverb version, the one CbB installs is fine

If you want to retain old versions of CbB, you have to copy the Cakewalk Core folder and rename it. Then when you install the new version that has the new Breverb, you can still use the old CbB version.

The loud clicking sound is very steady + fast like a digital metronome. It took me over a week of testing to track down this problem. I thought it must be a hardware problem, since it affected all my older image files. I even tried a different audio interface. 

I hope my post helps others out there who run into this and saves them the big headaches I had tracking this one down.