laggy UI in ASIO mode

bethoman

Question

Anyone experiencing extreme laggy UI when installing the latest Cakewalk version on the latest Windows 10 build? (only in ASIO mode)

windows 10 (21h1), cakewalk is up to date. (27.06.0.057)

The audio interface is rme ucx of the latest driver.

ryzen 3600 system, 32g ram, micron ssd

This issue only happens when in asio mode and doesn't seem to happen in older builds of windows and cakewalk. Only when using Cakewalk as an asio driver, UI response is very slow. (No problem at all in Cubase or vegas. (Of course, Cubase is using the asio driver.)

I tried almost all... (replace RAM, cpu, ssd, video card), but it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. The problem I mentioned also happens on a system that has only the audio interface installed on a clean Windows install (no 3rd party apps installed).

On a 4600h gaming laptop (windows 10 20h2) it works fine without any special settings. I removed the ssd from this laptop, installed it in the system, tested it, and the problem occurs again, so I guess that there is something wrong with the specific hardware.

Below is a thread from people experiencing the same symptoms as me.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/7870-extreme-ui-latency/

This symptom only disappears when you change the driver to wasapi mode. (Of course, the onboard sound is turned off and the amd hdmi audio driver is also turned off) so I think it's a problem in the process of cakewalk recognizing the asio driver.

I tried booting the problematic main system (using windows to go) using another desktop OS using Cakewalk. In previous builds of Windows 10 and previous builds of cakewalk, cakewalk worked fine without any problems. (Tested with the same audio interface, with same driver ( Cakewalk version is 2021.01 build098 , Windows version is 2004 os build 1904.928)

I'm almost certain the laggy UI issue is caused by the new windows build and a problem with cakewalk.

Perhaps the new windows update is not compatible with the process related to cakewalk's asio driver only on special hardware? I don't really know, However, in the case of other users, it seems to happen regardless of Intel chip or amd chip.

Many users have already talked about laggy UI related issues. No matter how hard I searched, I couldn't find a definitive cause or solution.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/5282-cakewalk-running-slow-in-a-powerful-computer/

https://www.reddit.com/.../comments/d0owsa/laggy_interface/

I've been using this daw for over 20 years, but this is the first time I've had this happen. I'm very upset that the most Windows-friendly DAWs don't seem to work well with Windows. I hope someone can solve this problem soon.

ps. I've already talked to bandlab, but they haven't sent any specific solutions yet.

Edited by bethoman

8 answers to this question

All the other threads on this seem to conclude it's due to unexpected response from the ASIO driver. Everyone acknowledges RME drivers are generally among the best so that suggests some 3rd party software/driver component is interfering. You might look into uninstalling whatever driver components the onboard audio was using if it's disabled.

Or do the opposite, which I usually recommend: Enable the onboard audio and set it as the default audio device for use by Windows, browsers and generic multimedia apps, reserving the RME driver for use by Cakewalk and other applications that you specifically configure to use it.

As I wrote above, the same problem occurs in a completely new operating environment with a fresh Windows install and only the audio interface driver installed.

I didn't install any 3rd party programs/drivers!

As for the graphics card, I tested the HD 6850, 7850, 7870.

I'm suspecting that an older graphics driver is causing the problem or a compatibility issue with the Ryzen system. (cakewalk or new windows build.)

The strange thing is that on older builds of windows 10 and older versions of cakewalk (bandlab) it works without problems in the same system.

Furthermore, I tested old sonar platinum version in the same system. It doesn't have laggy UI problem at all. 

On 8/5/2021 at 11:26 AM, bethoman said:

As I wrote above, the same problem occurs in a completely new operating environment with a fresh Windows install and only the audio interface driver installed.

I'm suspecting that an older graphics driver is causing the problem or a compatibility issue with the Ryzen system. (cakewalk or new windows build.)

The strange thing is that on older builds of windows 10 and older versions of cakewalk (bandlab) it works without problems in the same system.

Furthermore, I tested old sonar platinum version in the same system. It doesn't have laggy UI problem at all. 

If it works fine on older builds of Windows10 - then your issue is the new Win10 update. Do you have the latest Netframe 5 installed? If not: get it from microsoft website. 

In general theres lots of issues with Ryzen 5 3600 and the 5000 series in general.

You can look this up. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 11:26 AM, bethoman said:

Hi Bethoman!. I just found this and I am having the very same problem: total laggy in asio mode with my RME Babyface, which has excellent drivers and excellent performance. I tried my Babyface in an old Windows 7 with old CbB and everything worked fine. Did you manage finally to solve the problem??

I'm also using AMD (Ryzen 5 2400G, with integrated VEGA 11 graphics). I hope you can give light to this hell!

I cannot consider changing my workflow to new DAWs since I've been using SONAR and CbB for 15 years.