Love Don't Have a Brain

noynekker

I read some song lyrics by a guy named Carroll Kiphen, who has written a ton of song lyrics . . . and immediately heard a song idea. I've just been inspired by folks here on the Cakewalk Forum to try different things, so this one was something different for me, since I usually write the lyrics. It's great when you have the road map of a song already, made the process smoother to complete it, maybe less personal attachment helps ? Who knows, just go with the flow . . . thanks Carroll.

As usual, I trust you'll let us know if anything jumps out ?

• Like 3

bass guitar up a little in the instrumental bridge section? maybe more "sustained" bass notes throughout the piece, as opposed to the more staccato bass notes? Maybe acoustic guitar down just a smidge when you are singing in the verses? Maybe a longer fade out at the end?

As you can see, it's difficult to find weaknesses here. Great mix and instrumentation, and a wonderful vocal. Melody is a hook factory. Brought to mind a bit of Christopher Cross. Fantastic guitar tones. And all feels quite original and inventive in a song subject that certainly has been written about before.

Plus, the grammatic incorrectness will cement its acceptance with a much wider audience!  :) Actually, not kidding there.

Great tune !!!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mark skinner said:

That was Awesome !  Very soothing and perfect vocals. I'm amazed at how well the vocals cut thru such a nice full mix. Everything is clear and I could hear all of the tasty quieter keyboard passages. Perfect collaboration .       mark

@mark skinner  Thanks for the great comments Mark . . . I had to really work this mix to keep the vocal clear, mostly by taming the bass guitar . . . appreciate your input.

10 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

bass guitar up a little in the instrumental bridge section? maybe more "sustained" bass notes throughout the piece, as opposed to the more staccato bass notes? Maybe acoustic guitar down just a smidge when you are singing in the verses? Maybe a longer fade out at the end?

As you can see, it's difficult to find weaknesses here. Great mix and instrumentation, and a wonderful vocal. Melody is a hook factory. Brought to mind a bit of Christopher Cross. Fantastic guitar tones. And all feels quite original and inventive in a song subject that certainly has been written about before.

Plus, the grammatic incorrectness will cement its acceptance with a much wider audience!  :) Actually, not kidding there.

Great tune !!!

cheers,

-Tom

@PhonoBrainer Thanks for your help Tom . . . yes I wrestled with your suggestions as I tried to put this together . . . decided to keep the Bass as just some root pitch pulsing with the kick drum, which I heard in another song, leaving more low room for the mute guitar panned right. I like your idea of Bass up and perhaps more sustained in the Bridge, think it would help build things more.

I'm glad to hear you found some "hookness" to it . . . because that's what I heard when I first read Carroll's lyrics.

Thanks again . . .

24 minutes ago, noynekker said:

@PhonoBrainer Thanks for your help Tom . . . yes I wrestled with your suggestions as I tried to put this together . . . decided to keep the Bass as just some root pitch pulsing with the kick drum, which I heard in another song, leaving more low room for the mute guitar panned right. I like your idea of Bass up and perhaps more sustained in the Bridge, think it would help build things more.

I'm glad to hear you found some "hookness" to it . . . because that's what I heard when I first read Carroll's lyrics.

Thanks again . . .

Yes the stacatto bass works as is, it leaves all kinds of room which is one reason the mix works so well! Very well done all around . . .

20 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Instruments, melody and singing made an appealing sound that put a nice positive spin on my mood. Hard to describe but there it is. Thumbs up!
-Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn, always a nice feeling to brighten someone's day . . . and I'll tell you, your stuff here on the forum has brightened many of mine.