CPU Overload Noise when playback is stopped

Cint MMedia

Question

Came back from holidays on July 30 inst. and found two sets of updates waiting: a. Windows 10 feature update v.21H1 and quality update KB5004237, b. Cakewalk by Bandlab 2021.06 build 057 #1 and #2. OK, installed the Windows updates first. Restarts a few times. No problem. Next, started Cakewalk and I was notified that the two updates (b.) were available. OK, downloaded and installed. Again some restarts - our habit here after updates are installed.
Loaded a project (.cwb) with abt. 8 VSTi's but only two audio tracks I was working on before I went on holiday.  Playback crashed immediately with the generator-like sound of CPU overload, quite loudly. Allright, closed the project,  closed Windows, switched all devices off. Turned everything back on, started Windows, loaded the project again in Cakewalk and 'hurray': no crash. But when I stopped the project somewhere in the middle, same loud overload noise sounded a second or so (though Cakewalk did not crash). Restaring, reloading and so on: same result.
There were no such problems before I went on holidays. So I guess that either the Windows updates or Cakewalk updates cause the problem, as nothing in the configuration and hardware setup was changed. And believe me, quite awfull such repeated noises when working on a project.

I am a long-time Cakewalk user (since the eighties of the past century) and 'survived' various updates since, whether or not with tricks or hints or by simply adjusting the usual things like buffers and so on. But this time the magic of the digital en electronic world wins: I haven't got a clue.

Any ideas?

3 answers to this question

You should be using CWP files not CWB. CWB have random issues. 
There are many reports of real tech ASIO drivers being installed during windows update and causing issues check your sync and caching dialogue and make sure your audio interface is in the box at the bottom. 
Other thing comes to mind is VST plug ins that get screwed up by updates. 

Edited by John Vere

What is your set up, OS, Audio interface?  Latest drivers? (Visually check using manufacturer's websites rather than Windows updates).

if you have installed Windows update - maybe they borked your drivers.

Note: I have configured Windows 10 quality updates not to touch any hardware drivers.

Experience is pointing directly to a Plugin. I have the issue from time-to-time on occasional updates - can't pin point to why this happens. 

If it does it again: Leave it with the noise -  remove and re-insert the plugins (with undo) until you find the culprit. Then save the project without the plugin AS COPY - "2" when the noise disappear. Re-open the project and insert the same plugin again.  This should work - well, at least for me it does.