Can only hear metronome...help?

Dynamity

Hello friends!

I'm just barely starting to dip my toes into the vast world of music production and I've downloaded this DAW to start off with since it's free.

So, I've installed Cakewalk, I've gotten some instrument plugins, and I'm ready to start experimenting. I turn on the metronome, curiously throw in one of the sample tracks that Cakewalk provides, press play, and... somehow, I only hear the metronome. No synths. No drums. Despite the meter clearly showing the green to represent that the audio is being received, the only thing that plays in my headset is the metronome.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a mixing issue that my ape-brain can't comprehend, but either way, any help would really be appreciated.

Thank you so much!

10 hours ago, Dynamity said:

I turn on the metronome, curiously throw in one of the sample tracks that Cakewalk provides, press play, and... somehow, I only hear the metronome.

Thank you so much!

Press play or press record?

You cannot expect to use Cakewalk for the first time and have it work the way you think it should. It’s complicated and you really need to watch the tutorials first just to get started   There is a sub forum here. So go spend a day or two watching videos and you’ll be up and running in no time. 

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/35-tutorials/

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1