Differences in sound and waveform when recording

Hello Everyone!

I'm having an issue that I have no Idea where it is coming from.

I started recording a song in june. Everything was working fine, sounding excellent. Even mixed some takes.

I stopped for a while, then I was going to continue recording last week. Nothing changed in my computer or in my setup. To my surprise, the sound of the guitar is presenting very low gain. Even the sound with the effects is different. It is not that clear. It is as if it is muffled. And it shows in the waveform.

I'm sending a print from both the waveforms: The first part is the recording from june, the other one I've recorded just now. There is a big difference in waveform :/

413639240_Capturadetela2021-08-03230151.png.e21a7fb011aeec33e4fb7cfa050e4342.png

Can anyone please help me with this?

I'm using Rocksmith Realtone Cable with Asio4all driver.

Thanks in advance!

22 minutes ago, Henrique Hespanhol Tozzi said:

I can't do that right now :/ 

And why not?

That thing isn't even intended for recording; it's a game controller. And a really crappy one at that. Read the Amazon reviews. Over and over about how they work for a short time and then quit working.

22 minutes ago, Henrique Hespanhol Tozzi said:

And it was working...

Was is the operative word here. 

The way to fix this is to save up your pennies and buy a decent audio interface.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth; you're gonna have to spend some money.

• Like 1

High probability that what changed is that his substandard game controller cable crapped out like so many reviewers on Amazon noted.

FWIW, there seems to be quite a number of videos on YouTube about how to fix one. Not so many about fixing a Presonus or Focusrite 2 channel audio interface though....

Record levels are determined by hardware input gain/sensitivity on the analog side of the interface. This 'cable' interface may have a physical control for that, or possibly is controlled by the Windows mixer or a separate 'console' app provided by the cable interface vendor. And, of course, you need to ensure the level out of the guitar is the same as previously.

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the inputs. Indeed, it is a crappy way to record. Unfortunatelly, I cannot invest that much, since it is a hobby and not my main activity, which is kinda sad hahahaha.

I've reviewed volumes and whatnot... I'll try checking everything again. But in the future I'll be mindful about new gear... I know I need it...

I'll be back with news, if I have any...

On 8/4/2021 at 6:31 AM, bdickens said:

Ditch that garbage and get a real audio interface with a real ASIO driver.

On 8/4/2021 at 5:18 PM, bdickens said:

And why not?

That thing isn't even intended for recording; it's a game controller. And a really crappy one at that. Read the Amazon reviews. Over and over about how they work for a short time and then quit working.

Was is the operative word here. 

The way to fix this is to save up your pennies and buy a decent audio interface.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth; you're gonna have to spend some money.

On 8/4/2021 at 5:57 PM, bdickens said:

High probability that what changed is that his substandard game controller cable crapped out like so many reviewers on Amazon noted.

FWIW, there seems to be quite a number of videos on YouTube about how to fix one. Not so many about fixing a Presonus or Focusrite 2 channel audio interface though....

3 hours ago, bdickens said:

A decent interface can be had for around $100.

Let's focus on answers to solve the issue at hand with what the member have at his disposal, by being neutral. ☺ 

@Henrique Hespanhol Tozzi

If you can. Dowload the "demo" version of FL Studio and use the "FL ASIO Drivers" within for better performance | OR | switch to the WASAPI EXCLUSIVE drivers within CbB for when you do your recordings. This should give you a constant decent recordings with your laptop or desktop hardware. ☺ 

The question that was asked is not always the question that needs to be answered.

"Took preventative measures to ensure reliability."

" I have bought at least 7 of these in the last four years and, they are still hard to find in most cases and never last very long."

"...this product is very cheaply made, and very prone to degradation, just look at all the other reviews pointing this out."

"The cable is not worth getting. Had it for several months now, properly maintained, and put away, and it's already breaking."

"works with repairs"

That's from only the first 5 Amazon reviews. Hardly a ringing endorsement of the Rocksmith Realtone Cable.

To my mind, that tells me it is absolute confirmed junk.

Look, I well understand that money can be tight. Believe me, I have been there: having to decide which bill doesn't get paid this month. But I am also a realist; I can see nothing but disappointment in the OP's near future if he continues to fiddle-f*** with this garbage.

Maybe it seems harsh, but I come from a world where not facing the truth can't get you hurt really really badly. And a world where nobody will coddle you and if you don't have thick skin you're going to get your little feelings hurt really bad. The truth don't care about your feelings. I see no good reason to give the op false hope. Doing so isn't doing him any favors.

This Rocksmith cable is garbage. It belongs in the recycling bin. From the looks of the reviews it's not even good for its intended purpose, which is not multitrack recording.

The fact of the matter is that to have any chance of successful results in this endeavor, you need to invest in proper equipment. And that costs an amount of money greater than $0

It's great that BandLab has made such an incredible amazing tool available for free. Unfortunately it seems to have brought out of the woodwork a bunch of people who think that they will be able to become professional record producers with little other investment.

Edited by bdickens
  • Like 1

There's a lot more people struggling with this issue now that Cakewalk is free. Lets face it in the old days you had to fork over near to $500 for the same quality software. Even way back a 4 track cassette studio would put you back well over $1,000 and that's probably $3,000 in todays economy. So because it's free we find a different user base growing. 

The OP wasted $$ on a device that obviously is not going to do the job. I always say your better off to put that money aside and save up for something that will. You can get by just fine with using the FREE software and the FREE on board audio. I can thing of dozens of almost free ways to plug a guitar into a 1/8" jack. 

5 hours ago, Henrique Hespanhol Tozzi said:

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the inputs. Indeed, it is a crappy way to record. Unfortunatelly, I cannot invest that much, since it is a hobby and not my main activity, which is kinda sad hahahaha.

I've reviewed volumes and whatnot... I'll try checking everything again. But in the future I'll be mindful about new gear... I know I need it...

I'll be back with news, if I have any...

I hope you can iron out some of the problems you are having and I sincerely hope you don't give up. We don't always have the cash to get the gear we need. But hopefully you will continue recording your songs the best you can. Sometimes it's in the not so good situations that we learn the most from.

As for the Rocksmith cable, I have two of them and they have worked flawlessly since I bought Rocksmith 2014 when it came out. That would make them around 8 years old. Not bad for a crappy cable. I have played Rocksmith with my daughter quite a bit so they have gotten some mileage. But I do not use them for recording, so can't help you much with the problems you are having. They probably would work in a pintch, but an interface is certainly the way to go when it is possible for you. Have you tried using the cable with Rocksmith again to test it? I assume you have Rocksmith?

Remember that 'nothing as change' is only valid until you find what has changed! You may think that nothing has changed, but on a computer, sometimes things change unexpectedly.  You may want to try ejecting the Rocksmith cable, since it is usb, disconnect and reconnect it. Reboot your PC. Check the settings in asio4all, even deinstall and reinstall it. Its a pain, but if you make work again, you'll probably be able to do it if it happens again.

Good luck!

15 minutes ago, John Vere said:

The OP wasted $$ on a device that obviously is not going to do the job. I always say your better off to put that money aside and save up for something that will. You can get by just fine with using the FREE software and the FREE on board audio. I can thing of dozens of almost free ways to plug a guitar into a 1/8" jack. 

The OP never stated he bougth the Rocksmith cable for this. He may have had the Rocksmith game with a cable, learned and/or practice with it for a while and he is now moving up. He may have had the cable before trying out Cakewalk and it would be perfectly valid for him to think they could work together. It seems to me he is just learning like we all did before him.

@Henrique Hespanhol Tozzi Unfortunately you will never get particularly good results with that cable and ASIO4all as it is not really a real ASIO driver.

Have you tried WASAPI?  As has been suggest, however rudely when you cna afford it buy your self a simple 2x2 Audio Interface I would look on the previously owned pages see what you can pickup.