Bandlab crashing

Larry Novik

Using Cakewalk by Bandlab, I keep getting thrown out of my song--and the whole program. This is very frustrating obviously, since I lose all my work. I realize I must start saving every few minutes, but, other than that, are there some settings I can tweak for my project/computer to be able to handle this load?  THis occurs when I start having more tracks than usual. I do realize that. But it's not like I'm setting up tracks for an orchestra. I did notice that I had some internal effects on, but since then, I turned them off.

I"m using a Dell, with i5 intel processor. It is about 5-7 years old.

Thanks.

LNovik

Is it crashing to the desktop? / completely disappear?

If so, there is a recent thread about a group of users experiencing this since possibly the last Cakewalk and or Windows 10 update. Not that this will help but there is safety in numbers and misery loves company.

I did go  to this thread, though I didn't see any fixes. I should also say that, like the last post in that thread, almost every time I disconnect from Bandlab--that is, after I've saved and when I'm intending to  close down my computer---I get a similar message that Bandlab has encountered some  problem and is turning off. I've  ignored it since it has, up til now, just occurred when I'm signing out. However, as  I've said, lately it's occurring during editing of the song I'm working on. I should say i'm just working in MIDI lately, mostly nudging something to the right or automating volume on specific tracks. I do have some audio tracks in my project, but most of them are muted for now (though I realize they are prob still demanding some memory or RAM.)

Again, I'm just wondering if there is some good suggestion out there re buffers and the like which would create less demand on my computer and might make the crashes come less often. Maybe I should archive those audio tracks that I'm not working on  right now. I assume that to get them back, I only have to click on that archive button again.

Thanks

LNovik

Sorry, when I enlarge your screen shot, it gets too blurry for me to read the message box text.

Have you tried opening the project in Cakewalk's Safe Mode?  (Hold down the shift key while opening the project, and you should be able to skip loading of all plugins, just to see if it opens.  If not, then it isn't the plugins.  If it DOES open in Safe Mode, close again, without saving (don't want to lose your plugins, closing without saving will keep the project intact by abandoning the elimination of the plugins).

SO - you can go through the process of opening the project in Safe Mode, and it should give you the option to say Yes or No on loading all the plugins.  You can try letting it add a single plugin, and if successful, then close again, without saving, and repeat the process, this time letting it load 2 plugins, then again do it to let 3 plugins load, etc...  Sooner or later, it will fail, IF one or more plugins are having trouble, and whichever plugin that is, you can then do some trouble  shooting  in a separate project, with that plugin, or do some internet research on any reported issues with that plugin, or ask here in the forums, etc.  

By the way, does this project have any 3rd-part plugins that are 32-bit?  If so, I would suggest those would be a common point of trouble for Cakewalk, (or any 64-bit VST Host or DAW.  Some 32-bit plugins just do not play well in a 64-bit project).

You can also look at the Windows Event Viewer, to see if there are any detected failures in its logs, at around the same time you see Cakewalk failing.

Lastly, can you please type out the text of that error message from your screen shot?  Maybe there is helpful info in there that one of us could use to help you figure out what is happening.

Bob Bone

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:06 PM, Robert Bone said:

and whichever plugin that is

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:06 PM, Robert Bone said:

Sorry, when I enlarge your screen shot, it gets too blurry for me to read the message box text.

Have you tried opening the project in Cakewalk's Safe Mode?  (Hold down the shift key while opening the project, and you should be able to skip loading of all plugins, just to see if it opens.  If not, then it isn't the plugins.  If it DOES open in Safe Mode, close again, without saving (don't want to lose your plugins, closing without saving will keep the project intact by abandoning the elimination of the plugins).

SO - you can go through the process of opening the project in Safe Mode, and it should give you the option to say Yes or No on loading all the plugins.  You can try letting it add a single plugin, and if successful, then close again, without saving, and repeat the process, this time letting it load 2 plugins, then again do it to let 3 plugins load, etc...  Sooner or later, it will fail, IF one or more plugins are having trouble, and whichever plugin that is, you can then do some trouble  shooting  in a separate project, with that plugin, or do some internet research on any reported issues with that plugin, or ask here in the forums, etc.  

By the way, does this project have any 3rd-part plugins that are 32-bit?  If so, I would suggest those would be a common point of trouble for Cakewalk, (or any 64-bit VST Host or DAW.  Some 32-bit plugins just do not play well in a 64-bit project).

You can also look at the Windows Event Viewer, to see if there are any detected failures in its logs, at around the same time you see Cakewalk failing.

Lastly, can you please type out the text of that error message from your screen shot?  Maybe there is helpful info in there that one of us could use to help you figure out what is happening.

Bob Bone

Hi Bob , Many thank you for your answer, in that project i have many VSTi plugins, until now with the first 5 i can open the project without crash,
i have to re-open the project until i find the bad one ! i'll let you know which is ;)
I think to have only 64-bit plugins but i check also that thing 

In the screenshot i've made you will find the error i attach here :
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah3m8-J4rpDFgZVnkB1aEVPytlPwwA

Thanks for that comprehensive reply, Mr Bone. First, I went back into my song holding the shift key as directed. I was easily able to have the plugins NOT load. However, it appears that there were just 2 of them. Even with this, the program again suddenly had this fatal flaw type of crash--and I was thrown out of the program. I'm even open to buying a new computer if I need, though I'd obviously rather not because of the time and expense which always follows such a move. I certainly don't want to do that if the problem is in the software, or the way that I have it on my computer. I must say that, other than these crashes, the program doesn't seem to move sluggishly at all. And again, I should say that I am not even able to update Bandlab, since I get some error message every time I try.

I DID copy the error message (that occurs when I crash), and will attempt to copy it here. I also wrote everything down from the error message, so if anyone needs to see the details more clearly, I could write it out.

Thanks again for your time.

LNovik

error message 4-19.doc

16 hours ago, Erik Di Vico said:

Hi Bob , Many thank you for your answer, in that project i have many VSTi plugins, until now with the first 5 i can open the project without crash,
i have to re-open the project until i find the bad one ! i'll let you know which is ;)
I think to have only 64-bit plugins but i check also that thing 

In the screenshot i've made you will find the error i attach here :
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah3m8-J4rpDFgZVnkB1aEVPytlPwwA

Is your Windows up to date with maintenance?

Also, when you say you can't update Bandlab, do you mean you cannot update Cakewalk by Bandlab?  What version of Cakewalk are you running? What version of Windows are you running?  What error do you get when you try to update by clicking on the Update icon?

Bob Bone

I too have been having many crashes with this last update an the previous one.

It happens at only old time. This last one just happened when the program and pc were sitting idle.

I've also noticed a problem with copying and pasting tracks, but I will try and reproduce it again and start a new post.

Screenshot 2019-04-22 17.44.55.png

Screenshot 2019-04-22 17.45.19.png

2 hours ago, dahjah said:

I too have been having many crashes with this last update an the previous one.

It happens at only old time. This last one just happened when the program and pc were sitting idle.

I've also noticed a problem with copying and pasting tracks, but I will try and reproduce it again and start a new post.

Screenshot 2019-04-22 17.44.55.png

Screenshot 2019-04-22 17.45.19.png

What is your computer's operating environment?  CPU? Desktop? Laptop? Windows version? Memory? Maintenance level on Windows?  Maintenance levels on drivers?  Any 32-bit plugins loaded into any project that fails?  What kind of audio interface?  Any firmware updates needed for audio interface?  Any software maintenance needed for audio interface drivers?  Is there any commonality between what plugins are present in multiple projects that fail?  Are you overclocking? 

Lastly - I cannot make out the text in the error messages you provided the screen shots for - even when I zoom.  Can you please detail those errors, or in some fashion make it so those messages are readable? 

Thanks,

Bob Bone

cakecrash11.jpg.e1401afff64a3b4538212254d356eb9e.jpg

I have a  rack-mount desktop, AMD 8 core processor 4ghz, 32gm ram, 64bit, windows 8, running the VS700 system rack and console. I do have a couple 32bit plugs, none were running at this time, I also run focusrite saffire56 which was off at the time of crash (only use it for recording) No overclocking on this, just running it normal as I always have. I put the screenshots in Photoshop to make them bigger.

cakecrash2.jpg

Edited by dahjah
images still not big enough

I'm the other person  who is responding in this thread. I'm the one with the original question. I now have some answers to your questions, though no solutions yet.

I believe you were telling me that you could not read my error message--the one that appeared in my note as a link.

Th error message I got, line by line, is

Cakewalk.exe--application error

The instruction at 0x403f76d6 referenced memory at 0xfffffff. The memory  could not be read.

Click OK to terminate the program

That is all of it. I should add that in Dahjah's example, he at least was offered the chance to save his material. As you can see, I am not being offered that option.

Regarding updating BandLab, I did just finally figure that part out. I would get an "update failed" message. " Please download and install Bandlab Asst manually." Though I did have BandLab asst already, I re-downloaded it, and was then able to  update BandLab Cakewalk.

My  setup , as requested, is a Dell inspiron 580, with an Intel i5 CPU. 3.2GHz, with 6GB RAM, 64 bit. Running Windows 7 Home premium, service pack1.

ANd yes, when I am talking about BandLab, I have been referring to Cakewalk by Bandlab. My audio interface is Focusrite Scarlet, 2i2. I'm not  sure if my maintenance is up to date with  windows, to be honest. I did update about a year ago.

Lastly, I think, since there are a few audio tracks in my project so far, that I will archive them to see if that makes a difference. Of course, later when I start to record tracks, I might run into the same problem. Perhaps I need more RAM?

Also, re-reading your questions, I wouldn't know if I was overclocking if it were hitting me in the head. Re 32 bit plug ins,, as I said, I have not added them to my project. In fact, I saved the song and realized afterward that I saved it without any plug-ins. SO, I definitely don't have plug-in's in this project anymore--at least none that show when I open the project in safe mode, as you had described.

Thanks for your patience.

LNovik

If bandlab assistant needs updating, sometimes it won't do this very well. It's best just to delete it and then get the latest one from Bandlabs website and install that one.

I've never been a fan of 32 bit bridges in 64 bit applications so I wont use 32 bit plugins in Cakewalk. I suspect that a lot of instability comes from DAW's that use bridges either natively or third party.

You say it happens when you load up tracks, how many are you using? 10, 100? could be ram, might not have enough for what you are using it for or have some dust in the computer, need to reseat ram if crashes are frequent and random but it could also be your hard drive set up. You might be experiencing the limitations of a single hard drive, you don't mention what hard drives you have or how many. When you start loading up tracks on a single hard drive, no DAW likes that.

It's best to get all your system specs first before looking at software as the cause of the problem, just need to know what hard drive(s) you have and whether you use a lot of VST's/samples/loops or it's all recorded audio and how many tracks.

Edited by Tezza

I must have 20-25 t racks, though mostly just MIDI tracks. About 3 or 4 audio tracks. I certainly don't have an  SSD, and I'll look to see (not on the computer I'm writing this note on) what  kind of  hard drive it is. As I had said, most of the audio tracks are on mute.

To ask everyone again: I do remember someone saying something on this forum about different setups for either recording or mixing a track. Something about buffers, etc. Perhaps I need to adjust  my buffers while adjusting my MIDI tracks. Lately, I had been doing a lot of automations with volume, so perhaps I didn't have the correct buffers set up. However, I do realize that perhaps if my computer were newer, or had more RAM, I might not have to  adjust to get the perfect settings.

I also guess, Tezza, you are saying that when I get a new computer, I  should get one with a good regular hard drive + a SSD.

LNovik

44 minutes ago, Larry Novik said:

My  setup , as requested, is a Dell inspiron 580, with an Intel i5 CPU. 3.2GHz, with 6GB RAM, 64 bit. Running Windows 7 Home premium, service pack1.

6GB RAM?  Did Dell supply sell it to you with 6GB RAM, or did you upgrade it?

If you've got more than one memory module  installed, they usually have to be exactly matched (e.g. 2 x 4GB, or 2 x 8GB). If not you can run into what seem like random crashes when the CPU accesses RAM across the two modules. Even if the specs match but are different makes/models, you could have issues.

You might not notice any issue with normal usage until it starts using up more RAM, forcing it to cross over the second memory module.

I'm not saying this is your issue (although it could be), but its something to be aware of - especially if you're considering upgrading your RAM.

47 minutes ago, Larry Novik said:

I also guess, Tezza, you are saying that when I get a new computer, I  should get one with a good regular hard drive + a SSD.

LNovik

Midi tracks require an instrument (or synth in sonar terms). Midi tracks themselves don't use much bandwidth but the VST instruments attached to them can. What VST's do you use?

It is most likely a ram issue since that is what Cakewalk is complaining about, however, given that you are running everything on a single HDD (no matter how big it is). This is not ideal for a DAW to run well on when you start upping the track count and adding sample based VST instruments.

It could be not enough ram for what you are doing or as Mcleod suggests a mismatch of ram or faulty ram or some other fault with the ram. If you do have different ram mixed together then you might need to upgrade to completely fresh single 8 gig stick to begin with or 2 new matched 4's if that is all your motherboard supports. Depending on your use of VST and samples, you probably won't need more than 8 gig of ram. But if you have the money then 16gig might be good.

It might be that you don't have a computer that can keep up with your new processing demands. More ram and another hard drive to put your recordings on might be a good start. Both of these things are cheap as these days.

If you can swap out ram and put another hard drive in your self, that is what I would be doing in your situation. If you are not computer inclined, then get a quote from your local computer tech store, they usually don't charge much.

I have an unimpressive older generation i5 and 8 gig ram and 3 hard drives, it all works well enough for my needs. I am looking to move to a 2 drive system with samples and OS/ applications on a single large SSD and then a standard large 7200rpm HDD for recording and move to 16gig ram.

You could try tweaking software settings to cure your problem, running with a larger ASIO buffer (1024) for mixing  and lower (64, 128 or 256) for recording but I don't think that will fix this problem.

Edited by Tezza

On 4/23/2019 at 2:20 AM, dahjah said:

cakecrash11.jpg.e1401afff64a3b4538212254d356eb9e.jpg

I have a  rack-mount desktop, AMD 8 core processor 4ghz, 32gm ram, 64bit, windows 8, running the VS700 system rack and console. I do have a couple 32bit plugs, none were running at this time, I also run focusrite saffire56 which was off at the time of crash (only use it for recording) No overclocking on this, just running it normal as I always have. I put the screenshots in Photoshop to make them bigger.

cakecrash2.jpg

first screenshot shows that it's the vs700 driver (Rdas1089.dll)

bandlab are usually happy to receive the minidumps generated

you may find a solution in one of the threads over at the old place

I recently retired my very old external midi modules and moved to sample vsts... Sample Tank 4 and Addictive Drums 2.  Both were working  relatively well, although Sample Tank would crash CbB on occasion.  So I upgraded my desktop computer.  But the main reason I upgraded wasn't really because of performance.  It was because both of these vsts took a huge chunk of space on my hard drives.

And so I put in a third HDD that I'm using exclusively for music software.  I also bumped up my ram from 8 to 16GB.  Since making these relatively cheap changes my system is handling everything I'm throwing at it smooth as silk.  And I have reclaimed a huge amount of space on my main hard drives.

/OM