Bandlab crashing

Larry Novik

Just now, Larry Novik said:

So, Abacab: are you saying that you don't think 4 sticks of 4 RAM each would not work as well as 2 sticks of 8. I'm asking since I think my contact might have already ordered 4 sticks of 4 RAM each.  I do have 4 slots.

LNovik

You should check the manual for your motherboard. You should be able to download it somewhere.

It normally recommends what configurations work the best, and what slots to use if you're using 2 sticks vs 4.

As long as the motherboard supports the memory configuration you are installing, you will be fine.

Larry, I just got your email, and I successfully downloaded the Project bundle file.

I opened it in Cakewalk, and while you had thought you had no plugins in the project, it complained about Perfect Space and VC-64 (they were in the Bus 1 FX Bin).  I do not have either installed, apparently.  I have had them in the past, on prior computers, and I had not noticed they had been left out of some prior Sonar.  (I do have Platinum installed, so they must have gone away in a version prior to that).

Anyways, I am able to open up the project, so If you have anything you want me to try doing, to see if it crashes on MY system, please let me know.

Bob Bone

1 hour ago, Larry Novik said:

So, Abacab: are you saying that you don't think 4 sticks of 4 RAM each would not work as well as 2 sticks of 8. I'm asking since I think my contact might have already ordered 4 sticks of 4 RAM each.  I do have 4 slots.

LNovik

No that's not what I was saying. I would avoid unmatched pairs, or unmatched pairs of pairs. Keeping it all the same was my point.

So 4 sticks of 4 would match, in the form of 2 pairs of identical modules. That would be functionally equivalent to 2 sticks of 8. Same total, and dual channels with 8GB on each channel, for a system total of 16GB.

You probably could run 2 sticks of 4, plus 2 sticks of 8, or some other combination. But since this is DAW performance we are talking about here, I wouldn't take the chance with mis-matched modules. DAWs push the hardware to the edge with real-time demands, so memory timing needs to be very stable. That's one reason for the recommendation to never overclock a DAW system. Overclocking can lead to memory timing issues.

Here is a handy free utility that will show you how your memory is currently configured, and what type of modules are installed:  https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Edited by abacab

31 minutes ago, StarTekh said:

Larry : Crucial memory adviser

Slots: 4 (2 banks of 2)

Maximum Memory: 8GB

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/inspiron-580#MEMORYFilters

Yikes! In that case, it may be time for a new PC!

In the OP Larry stated that it was a Dell i5, about 5-7 years old. So I was expecting something with a bit more modern hardware specs... ;)

I had no idea we were talking about a vintage machine. I wouldn't put any more money into that PC, besides maybe a new SSD that could be migrated to a new PC eventually.

Here are the Dell Inspiron 580 manual and documents. The comprehensive specs pdf lists the Inspiron 580 with max memory configuration of 8GB,  using a max  1066MHz or 1333MHz DDR3 DIMM, with a max module size of 1, 2, or 4GB only. https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-580/manuals

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I too experience this, with SampleTank 3. Both VST2 and VST3 versions lock up after a certain amount of time.

Different issue with Oscar. He was referring to SampleTank 4. A lot of folks had that issue affecting more DAWs than just CbB after the initial release, including me. But that was fixed in the v4.0.4 update. The program needed some memory optimizations. Seems to be much more all around stable now.

On the other hand, I have heard a few folks mention instability with SampleTank 3 around here, even going back to the Sonar Platinum days. 

A lot of finger pointing at the VST3 version in this thread: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sampletank-3-crashing-Sonar-m3682989.aspx

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

Thanks, abacab, about the RAM max suggestion. On the other hand, I have heard someone say he is running 16 Kb's of RAM on this computer. Does anyone out there know if anything (BAD) happens if you put in more RAM memory than is suggested--other than wasting some moolah?

LNovik

55 minutes ago, Larry Novik said:

Thanks, abacab, about the RAM max suggestion. On the other hand, I have heard someone say he is running 16 Kb's of RAM on this computer. Does anyone out there know if anything (BAD) happens if you put in more RAM memory than is suggested--other than wasting some moolah?

LNovik

Maybe digging around the Dell forums may give you some insight to that question. https://www.dell.com/community/Dell-Community/ct-p/English

A search for the Inspiron 580 turned this up:

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/RAM-DELL-Inspiron-580/m-p/4510935?advanced=false&collapse_discussion=true&filter=location&location=category:English&q=inspiron 580&search_type=thread

Edited by abacab

I now DO have an interesting finding re the whole reason I had started this thread, namely my frequent crashes. I have a bunch of USB's, which I'm sure, is not unusual. I do know that certain USB portals on a computer are faster than others. When I got my most recent crash error, it said: "A fatal error has occurred.

Module: c"\program files\scarlett\USB 2.0 audiodriver\scarlet_uac2asio_x64.dll A crash dump file has been created here:

First of all, I have never been able to find this appaData crash dump file, but the main reason I am writing this current note is: Since this crash note referenced my Scarlet audio interface, I took some time to look at the connections. I realized that the USB output of the Scarlet was going to my USB hub, which is, of course, a sort of channel strip where I plug in a  bunch of USB's, and then connect that hub to a USB port on my computer. I had a thought that perhaps this slowed the transmission from my Scarlett. I should say that after I removed the USB cable from the from USB hub and plugged it directly into a USB port in the front of the computer, I stopped getting any crashes for at least about 40 minutes. Unfortunately--or fortunately-my computer friend just last nite came with my new 500GB Samsung SSD and inc'ed my RAM to the max it can handle, which is 8 GB (it had been 6). He also updated to Windows 10, even though one of the participants, I realize, advised against this.

Will see what happens now.

LNovik

USB is a shared bandwidth bus. It would be recommended to plug high bandwidth USB devices directly into a dedicated USB port on the computer.

Hubs should be fine for low speed peripherals and controllers. Some folks my have good luck with hubs, but if there are any issues, that is one of the first things that should be ruled out.

Bandwidth Considerations

Much like a data network, a USB port has limited bandwidth that it can share between devices. Usage varies from device to device. In an independent USB port, virtually all bandwidth – a total of 480 Mbps for 2.0 ports, and as much as 5 Gbps for 3.0 ports – is available for a single device. USB standards devote 10 percent of all data bandwidth to control, and reserve the rest for device use. In a shared environment, that bandwidth is shared between all devices. High-bandwidth peripherals, such as Web cameras or audio recorders, may experience lower performance when connected to a shared USB port.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/difference-between-shared-independent-usb-ports-64634.html

15 hours ago, Larry Novik said:

I now DO have an interesting finding re the whole reason I had started this thread, namely my frequent crashes. I have a bunch of USB's, which I'm sure, is not unusual. I do know that certain USB portals on a computer are faster than others. When I got my most recent crash error, it said: "A fatal error has occurred.

Module: c"\program files\scarlett\USB 2.0 audiodriver\scarlet_uac2asio_x64.dll A crash dump file has been created here:

First of all, I have never been able to find this appaData crash dump file, but the main reason I am writing this current note is: Since this crash note referenced my Scarlet audio interface, I took some time to look at the connections. I realized that the USB output of the Scarlet was going to my USB hub, which is, of course, a sort of channel strip where I plug in a  bunch of USB's, and then connect that hub to a USB port on my computer. I had a thought that perhaps this slowed the transmission from my Scarlett. I should say that after I removed the USB cable from the from USB hub and plugged it directly into a USB port in the front of the computer, I stopped getting any crashes for at least about 40 minutes. Unfortunately--or fortunately-my computer friend just last nite came with my new 500GB Samsung SSD and inc'ed my RAM to the max it can handle, which is 8 GB (it had been 6). He also updated to Windows 10, even though one of the participants, I realize, advised against this.

Will see what happens now.

LNovik; 

Mini dumps - default location, but put your user name in where you see to the right.  The AppData folder is normally hidden by Windows, which is why maybe you didn't find the dumps in the past, but even with the folder hidden the path to the right will work, once you fix the username part of it: 

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\MiniDumps

If you have any dumps in that folder, please indicate so, and we can go from there.

Bob Bone

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\MiniDumps

Thanks Robert, that is very clear. However, as I've said, I am not able to find this file. I do go to C:\users\Larry Novik, but then cannot find any folder called "AppData." I then tried it with my original drive--since [ I just got the SSD a couple of days ago, which is now the C drive.] Thus, with my old drive, now called E:, I again go to users\owner, but again no AppData folder. I even went to the Program files folder, where I found a Cakewalk folder--but no appData. I've even searched "AppData" a few weeks ago when someone--perhaps you-mentioned it, but could not find that file. I do realize it should be somewhere, though it escapes me where. 

I guess I'll try again to search each drive tomorrow nite. I remember when I did this previously, I was able to find some appdata folders or files, but known of them had any "Roaming" folders. 

Thanks again.

LNovik

I of course copied what you very clearly wrote. I then went to WE and pasted it in the long box on the right, since it said "search" there. I did it for my C drive, which is my new SSD and for my E drive, which is the drive I was using until a few days ago. Nothing came up on either.

I think I may just wait to see if I continue to get crashes with my added RAM and new SSD. 

THanks for your suggestions.

LNovik

1 hour ago, LNovik@aol.com said:

I of course copied what you very clearly wrote. I then went to WE and pasted it in the long box on the right, since it said "search" there. I did it for my C drive, which is my new SSD and for my E drive, which is the drive I was using until a few days ago. Nothing came up on either.

I think I may just wait to see if I continue to get crashes with my added RAM and new SSD. 

THanks for your suggestions.

LNovik

My earlier comment failed to explain it - paste the string that scook wrote (using the automatically-populated environment variable called %appdata%), so paste that string, which I will again repeat under this paragraph, into the ADDRESS BAR (caps for emphasis only, not anger), and it will be processed by Windows Explorer, and take you directly the contents of the MiniDumps folder.  Please note - the Address Bar is the white text box area at the top center of things like browser windows and Windows Explorer.  You can see it in the post from scook with the red box in his screen shot.  (by the way THANKS scook)

%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\MiniDumps

SO, please paste the above string into the Address Bar of a Windows Explorer window, and find the most recent mini dump file.  The dump files have a less than ideal format for their names, as they contain MMDDYYYY instead of YYYYMMDD (which sorts better for dates).  Anyways, here is the little blip from the documentation about the naming standard Cakewalk-generated mini dump files follow:

"The .dmp files all should contain a timestamp of the time of the crash. So if it is 2/1/2011 at 10:26 am, your file should contain a title similar to "02012011_102620.dmp". This can be useful for locating the correct .dmp file if there are multiple listed."

Please let me know when you are finally able to see your Cakewalk dumps, and we will go from there:

Bob Bone

• 10 months later...

I was getting crashes on a new installation of V2020.01(Build 28, 64 bit) on a Windows 10 system when I simply created a new midi project, added a few events and started and stopped it twice.  It was a hard crash that took 5 or so minutes to clear out of the Task Manager after doing an End Task but quite repeatable.  It only crashed after starting and stopping playback so I was able to try different changes to try to smoke out the problem.  It took me days and 20+ tests but I finally traced it to the Preferences - Project - MIDI - "Zero Controllers When Play Stops".  Once I disabled that on a project the crashes went away and everything worked fine.  

The project I was loading was from Sonar 8 so I initially figured it was an issue with one of the missing plugins but the problem persisted even with the new test project which seemed to rule out dangling assignments.  The computer has a generic USB-to-MIDI cable, a MidiMan Oxygen8 keyboard (USB) and a TASCAM US-1800 connected to it so there are several drivers it might be trying to zero out but the interfaces all seem to work fine otherwise.   

Now here's the rub. As I was writing this post I went back to confirm the bug and was surprised to find that the app no longer crashed with "Zero Controllers When Play Stops" enabled.  I even created a new project with some notes in it as I did before but no crash.  My hardware configuration hasn't changed (that I can think of) and I rebooted the computer at least once during my initial test to confirm that is wasn't some lingering driver issues but still got a crash.  Now its fine.  I had confirmed the crash with a new simple project but it's worth noting that in the course of working on the mix I came across midi tracks that were configured for the now-missing virtual synths.  They weren't producing sound but they also weren't crashing the app.  I don't know how that could affect a completely separate nearly empty project but I figured it was worth mentioning since it had something to do with midi.

Other than the initial crash problem I've really been enjoying the new version and found I could get back to my normal work-flow pretty quickly.  Though the last version of the app I used was Sonar 8, I've been using Cakewalk since before Microsoft had a GUI so I'm happy to see it live on with BandLab's help.   I posted my first song created with the new Cakewalk a couple of days ago on YouTube under the title "Bob Sellon - Better Than Me audio" if anyone wants to hear what I came up with.  Everything is stock (Sonitus) except for a Valhalla Plate for the verb.

• 1 year later...