EastWest 60% off

Fleer

On 8/3/2021 at 6:38 AM, fret_man said:

Maybe I should start a new thread here, but Spitfire Audio is also having a sale right now. If I were to start getting serious about orchestration, which ecosystem would you recommend I invest in?

Or maybe 8DIO (also on sale)?

Or maybe Vienna Symphony (also on sale)?

8dio if you have full Kontakt.  That allows you to have the libraries on many systems

The others require to use a dongle. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

So you buy a lib and you get the new Opus player that works on all the old libs too?

If so - how does it rate Opus in comparison to Play?
Not finding a lot of info and what I do find is mixed.

Same here. I assume the old libraries would have to be updated for the new player.  8dio stoled my thunder from going for EW stuff.

From EW FAQ

Currently you must purchase Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition to get the OPUS software. People who purchase any product post-release will also get OPUS. All ComposerCloud members will automatically get OPUS. But we are going to wait a while before allowing previous PLAY product purchasers to upgrade in order to assist our support team during this major upgrade period. When we do provide that option, it will be a paid upgrade.

Although it seems that during this sale the first sentence is no longer valid. (and it's now free with any purchase)

http://media.soundsonline.com/manuals/EW-Opus-Software-Manual.pdf

and from the above linked doc: 

Opus and Play are two separate software products, anything you have saved in your projects will still load up inside the saved Play version of the plugins. You can update your current/existing projects to Opus if you so choose, or leave them saved within Play.

• Like 1

Diving in. First got Backup Singers (with Opus for my older libs) and now upgraded both Hollywood Orchestra Diamond and Gold to their Hollywood Orchestra Opus and Orchestrator versions. Ready for the deep end 😎

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Fleer said:

and now upgraded both Hollywood Orchestra Diamond and Gold to their Hollywood Orchestra Opus and Orchestrator versions. 

And that's a hefty upgrade price $495! Seems they could have dome better for Hollywood Orchestra Platinum owners.

• Like 2

But I guess the best deal is taking the Composer Cloud X sub. 
Though I have to say that some of their newer libs like Backup Singers are pretty, pretty good at 60% off. That’s the lowest ever. 

• Like 1

I recently signed up for the free 3 month trial of Composer Cloud and am really enjoying it.  I can't say much about the merits of Opus yet, but it feels much better to work in aesthetically.  I always thought Play seemed a bit archaic in its presentation.

It is mighty fun to try the many libraries I always had curiosity about. Not sure I'd pay the normal asking price, however.

Need to try those backup singers.

• Like 2

This is EastWest...  so at some point, when they've milked it enough, they will make Opus free.
This is EastWest - and historically (with Play) they've attached an update to new products, then sell it as an upgrade, then offer it free with any purchase, then give it away free.  Maybe they have or will skip a step but...
This is EastWest - this is the way.

• Like 1

Well, got to say that Hollywood Opus is quite something. Everything loads as quicksilver. Much better GUI. Sounds are almost perfect. Even the woodwinds are top shelf, as are the solo instruments. This is how orchestral emulation should work. And that Orchestrator is simply wonderful, as it allows for prompt creativity. Got the Hollywood Backup Singers as well, and they blend in smoothly. Pink Floyd quality, those ladies.

• Great Idea 1

I ended up upgrading my EWSO Gold to Platinum for $99...easily worth the money,
and Fleer is right...load times are way down with Opus, it has a preview feature in the
browser, and is far more intuitive and robust than Play!

When EWHOD upgrade to EWHODOE goes WAY down in price, then I'll upgrade
but not until....$495 is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY tooo much!

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

I ended up upgrading my EWSO Gold to Platinum for $99...easily worth the money,
and Fleer is right...load times are way down with Opus, it has a preview feature in the
browser, and is far more intuitive and robust than Play!

When EWHOD upgrade to EWHODOE goes WAY down in price, then I'll upgrade
but not until....$495 is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY tooo much!

I don't think that is available anymore.