Dynameter Plugins like for free?

Marcello

The Dynameter does look like a great tool. It makes a complicated task a lot easier. I will pass on the $125 Can price tag as my music seems fine without it but I would defiantly think about it if it was more like $30-$40. I think that's what the You Lean meter was and it has more than paid for itself.  

I think the reason I don't have an issue is the way I use compression and limiting. I always set them so there is very little activity on the meter. Even my Multi band. If a certain frequency is showing too much compression I go back to the mix and seek out the offending instrument. This is were sub busses come in handy. Just mute a sub buss and if the issue goes away you have narrowed down your search.  I tend to push most instruments to the wall and then back them off a bit. The limiter/compressors are only used to catch peaks not to squash. I find -12 to -14 LUFS just fine. 

9 hours ago, John Vere said:

The Dynameter does look like a great tool. It makes a complicated task a lot easier. I will pass on the $125 Can price tag as my music seems fine without it but I would defiantly think about it if it was more like $30-$40. I think that's what the You Lean meter was and it has more than paid for itself.  

I think the reason I don't have an issue is the way I use compression and limiting. I always set them so there is very little activity on the meter. Even my Multi band. If a certain frequency is showing too much compression I go back to the mix and seek out the offending instrument. This is were sub busses come in handy. Just mute a sub buss and if the issue goes away you have narrowed down your search.  I tend to push most instruments to the wall and then back them off a bit. The limiter/compressors are only used to catch peaks not to squash. I find -12 to -14 LUFS just fine. 

yea that's way too much just for a meter. How do you check if there is too much compression or not happening? I honestly cannot tell just by listening yet, some meter? how do you use them usually?

Edited by Marcello

If you move the threshold slider or knob deep in to a ridiculous point, you cannot mistake the sound of over-compressed, lifeless music gasping for air!!! Take a while and leave it there and listen. Eventually, you will always be able to hear where the correct settings will be. It won't hurt to use different formats of music to get an idea what settings work for what type of music.

I, too, can't tell you how many times I have been told by some pretty big heavyweights in the business to stop relying on the meters so much and use your ears more. I still struggle between the two!!

• Like 2