How to hear effects while recording

Al Robbins

Question

Let’s say I have a vocalist that wants to record a track and hear effects while recording. 

I have forgotten how to do that. I think the following is how to do it:

On the track:

1) Click the Echo Input to “On.”

2) Add the plugin(s) to the effects bin

3) Choose the correct input on your interface

4) Choose an output (such as ‘Vocal Bus’ or even ‘Master.”

Then hit record and the vocalist will hear the effects but they will not really be on the track (non-destructive). 

I really was not sure about number 4 just because if you have an input and output assigned it creates latency. I assume clicking the Echo Input button stops that latency. 

Did I get it right? 

Thanks,

Al

3 answers to this question

Here’s a trick I used to minimize the delay you hear due to round trip latency. 
I always have a sub bus for my vocal effects. The vocal track will have a send. 
Set your interface direct monitoring so the singer hears a good balance of the playback and their direct signal of their vocal. 
Arm the track and activate input echo 

Now change the effects send from post to pre fader. Turn the channel fader way down or off. Now turn the effects send up until you get the desired amount of reverb coming from the back end. The delay will still be in there but not as noticeable as when the track fader is up. 

• Great Idea 1

Much appreciated to both of you! 

It’s been so long since I recorded anyone with effects they can hear that I did not remember to assign the output!!

I always record myself dry - I just don’t use this for myself. But, other people, it might help them. It’s a handy function for those people that want to hear effects while they record!

Thanks,

Al