Wireless speaker advice (home)

Xoo

Given everything I've read on this seems to be relative gibberish and/or doesn't answer what I consider to be sensible questions...

I'm looking for some (wireless-in-some-shape-or-form speakers - as in, music on a device that we can "cast" to one or more speakers in different rooms.  Sonos is the "obvious" path to go down, but I know they've been somewhat crap in the past (support, obsolescence etc), and I'm also not sure they do what I want.

Requirements:

- No need to dock a device (we want to be able to continue using phone/tablet while it's playing music) hence wireless requirement

- Doesn't use Alexa/Siri

- Can play back from our extensive already ripped mp3 collection without needing to fiddle-faddle around with a new service and/or re-buy things

- Not tied to one/very few streaming services (we don't have Spotify etc, but might want to)

- Comparatively easy to set up (I was reading some guides on using airplay and it seems like a nightmare)

Any suggestions/advice with reasoning?

My wife got one of these for Christmas at work. It completely blew me away. Feel it in your chest bass. Crystal clear highs.

It's a tiny bluetooth speaker about the size of a travel coffee mug. I use it all the time. It's technically mono but it sounds great. I listen to XM classic vinyl on my cell and send the audio via bluetooth to the Bose. Blows my mind how good it sounds.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/portable_speakers/soundlink-revolve-plus-ii.html

When we were still third-party sellers on Amazon, one of our hottest sellers was a lava lamp with bluetooth.  When we closed shop, I had the remaining stock shipped to my home and these are great wireless speakers!  They looked like this:

NLDAG-610-1729-_css_11368_1024x1024@2x.j

41 minutes ago, craigb said:

When we were still third-party sellers on Amazon, one of our hottest sellers was a lava lamp with bluetooth.  When we closed shop, I had the remaining stock shipped to my home and these are great wireless speakers!  They looked like this:

NLDAG-610-1729-_css_11368_1024x1024@2x.j

Me want.

Kevin,

Try the Edifier 1280DB Speakers, just Google the speaker name.   They come in Black and Wood Grain

These are rather good Bluetooth speakers that you can also connect via RCA , Optical and other means.

Watch the entire review which is a little over 11 minutes and 47 seconds.

Edited by jesse g

6 hours ago, Bapu said:

Me want.

Unfortunately, even though the speaker sounds really good, the cheap China-made lava lamp doesn't last very long...  I gave out most of my stock to friends and have three (all with damaged bases) that I kept.  One no longer has any lava movement and is purely used as a Bluetooth speaker.