8 Hot Dog Buns

jack c.

I suspect that because of the distortion the little compression you are using is over emphasising the distortion, remember compressors are amplifiers.

They will raise the level of everything you pass through, including the noise floor.  Another thing to remember the level of the signal out of a compressor should be the same as the compressor bypassed., unless you are using parallel compression.

I like the major quirky songs you come up with and that's a great place to start things. Kudos to your originality.

1) What kind of mic are you using to record your vocal? Sounds like an sm57 or equivalent? How much did it cost? Reason I ask is, if you are looking to get the biggest bang for the buck in terms of vocal improvement, start at the start - the mic. What mic are you using?

2) Take a look at all of your tracks bouncing along while the mix is playing. Console view, it's usually called. All the faders, all the tracks. Now if you focus on each track, one at a time, try to see an "average" level that any one track is seeming to hold. Most DAW's have a way to show you the average level of a track, but you can just as easily guesstimate. The average or median level any track is supposed to live at, before processing, is safely between -24 and -12 db. If you temporarily disable your plugins on a track, are you seeing this average live above -12db? 

If the average level of your synth patch is -8 or so, then the peaks are likely already close to 0db, and any plugins you add will just overcook the track and make your limiter sweat profusely. You do have a limiter as the very last plugin in your master bus chain, correct?

You might likely know all of this already, just something worth checking. It's so easy to get swept away in the artistic process of creating fun things that the details of the mixing job get wishfully repressed.

looking forward to more of your stuff!

cheers,

-Tom

17 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

I like the major quirky songs you come up with and that's a great place to start things. Kudos to your originality.

1) What kind of mic are you using to record your vocal? Sounds like an sm57 or equivalent? How much did it cost? Reason I ask is, if you are looking to get the biggest bang for the buck in terms of vocal improvement, start at the start - the mic. What mic are you using?

2) Take a look at all of your tracks bouncing along while the mix is playing. Console view, it's usually called. All the faders, all the tracks. Now if you focus on each track, one at a time, try to see an "average" level that any one track is seeming to hold. Most DAW's have a way to show you the average level of a track, but you can just as easily guesstimate. The average or median level any track is supposed to live at, before processing, is safely between -24 and -12 db. If you temporarily disable your plugins on a track, are you seeing this average live above -12db? 

If the average level of your synth patch is -8 or so, then the peaks are likely already close to 0db, and any plugins you add will just overcook the track and make your limiter sweat profusely. You do have a limiter as the very last plugin in your master bus chain, correct?

thanks for your thoughts!!!!!!!!!!

1.     on this one i will let ya know.i also use neuman

2. i track/mix 10-6.

3.i only use a few plugs here and there.on master i used to use console with eq etc.me last song ramble i tried without one.because i import into harriso mixbus then to ozone 9 where they adjust stuff.jack c.