8 Hot Dog Buns

jack c.

jack c. . . . this one's kinda' catchy, nice groove, drums and synths . . . though, mix is a bit over cooked as far as compression or limiting. ? 

Seems you have something to say, but I can't quite make out all the vocals. Would love to hear this with more dynamics.

15 hours ago, noynekker said:

though, mix is a bit over cooked as far as compression or limiting. ?                   Would love to hear this with more dynamics.

i use little comp.please explain more on how to fix this.also explain more dynamics.jack c.

20 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

what fx are on your lead vocal?

douglas

i record at the same time 3 voice tracks.lcr----on track 1 i put a pitchshifter by rs-met.com----all 3 tracks go to voice buss and here i insert duende eq,terry west voc rider,eq from safe.said buss send to aux and insert classic delay from kjaerhus.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mark skinner said:

,  I too had trouble understanding the lyrics. Boxy and maybe just too much processing on them  

since me short time here in bandlab many have stated they can't understand me words !!!!!!as i have listened to endless songs for endless decades i find around 99.9 of the songs i don't understand their words!!!!!!!!i'm not takin any of this in a negative way.if ya can give me help in making me words clear i'm totally ready!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack c. said:

since me short time here in bandlab many have stated they can't understand me words !!!!!!as i have listened to endless songs for endless decades i find around 99.9 of the songs i don't understand their words!!!!!!!!i'm not takin any of this in a negative way.if ya can give me help in making me words clear i'm totally ready!!!!!!!!!

Quit processing your vocals.  Try mixing them dry, and mix your instruments around them.  And, please consider creating intros for your songs;  starting them full blast with no lead-in is jarring.  Your strength is writing unique songs, but your weakness is arranging them.  I see in some of your comments elsewhere that you're still asking people to explain dynamics to you.  I did my best to explain them to you, but for naught.  Maybe a little time spent researching dynamics would be time well spent.  Please take this in an effort to help and not criticize.

• Like 1

I want to start by saying I like your song it has a Gary Numan vibe which is very cool🍻

The thing is you have heavy distortion / saturation on your kick, keys, and your vocal, so it cancels out your vocal and no one can hear the words.

( BTW. love the way this songs ends)  Just off hand at the start of the song you have that cool drum bit, you could let that happen for the first few bars while bringing it up on the fader and a clean bass until you get to the chorus.. but at the end of the day it's your song and by gum I like it...

it's kind of a cliché, but a good example of dynamics would be the song Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Quit processing your vocals.  Try mixing them dry, and mix your instruments around them.  And, please consider creating intros for your songs;  starting them full blast with no lead-in is jarring.  Your strength is writing unique songs, but your weakness is arranging them.  I see in some of your comments elsewhere that you're still asking people to explain dynamics to you.  I did my best to explain them to you, but for naught.  Maybe a little time spent researching dynamics would be time well spent.  Please take this in an effort to help and not criticize.

hey lynn:so don't put any verb,delay on voice?what about eq,comp on them?

consider creating intros for your songs;  starting them full blast with no lead-in is jarring.  

please understand i came from playing live 20 years to studio,so i have no clue about most people ask of me.explain how to do this.

lynn------dynamics to you. I did my best to explain them to you, but for naught.

i did spend time on what ya told me!but i didn't get it.

to me is loud and soft parts.each comment i see i try it out,which helps me stuff to be better!!!!!!!!!!!

Please take this in an effort to help and not criticize.

rest assured all i hear from you folks i try to use.this forum is not for hurting ones feelings i don't take it as criticism it's a learning tool.

20 hours ago, Old Joad said:

Gary Numan vibe which is very cool

20 hours ago, Old Joad said:

heavy distortion / saturation on your kick, keys, and your vocal, s

a number of people say numan i do like him as well as johnn foxx and ultravox!!!!!!i didn't intend for that feeling in the song.i put distortion only on me voice and kick has drum leveler.thanks for listen.jack c.

I like this song and I agree it does have a Numan-esque sound to it.  To me (from a somewhat selfish standpoint) one of the real values of this forum is the advice I have received.  There is some good advice above.  This is coming from someone who has and still does occasionally receive impassioned comments to cut back on the amount of reverb on my vocal.  This is a good song and a wee bit of work will certainly add to it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jack c. said:

hey lynn:so don't put any verb,delay on voice?what about eq,comp on them?

consider creating intros for your songs;  starting them full blast with no lead-in is jarring.  

please understand i came from playing live 20 years to studio,so i have no clue about most people ask of me.explain how to do this.

lynn------dynamics to you. I did my best to explain them to you, but for naught.

i did spend time on what ya told me!but i didn't get it.

to me is loud and soft parts.each comment i see i try it out,which helps me stuff to be better!!!!!!!!!!!

Please take this in an effort to help and not criticize.

rest assured all i hear from you folks i try to use.this forum is not for hurting ones feelings i don't take it as criticism it's a learning tool.

@jack c.  This is an excellent reply to Lynn's post Jack . . . and I see what you're saying, you've been a live performer for many years, now, the recording studio is more about keeping within the science and parameters of loudness and dynamics. The idea is to record it so it sounds as good as possible on the many different ways and systems that people listen to music. ie. if you mixed just for headphones it would not sound right on 12" speaker cabs.

Your mix has most things max loudness, might work on a club PA system, for dancing . . . but streaming online,  or late night radio, ear buds . . . well, robotic generic processing will pull the volume down, mess with your EQ balance . . . often with not pleasing results. Nothing to do with the song . . . your song is a great idea, it just might not get delivered properly to all those listeners.

I'm just reaching out here to you, because of the last line of your reply to Lynn, you know there are some really helpful folks here ! . . . I've heard your stuff here, it seems you have a very large creative spirit . . . I learned a lot here about recording science here on the Cakewalk Forum.

10 hours ago, noynekker said:

@jack c.  This is an excellent reply to Lynn's post Jack . . . and I see what you're saying, you've been a live performer for many years, now, the recording studio is more about keeping within the science and parameters of loudness and dynamics. The idea is to record it so it sounds as good as possible on the many different ways and systems that people listen to music. ie. if you mixed just for headphones it would not sound right on 12" speaker cabs.

Your mix has most things max loudness, might work on a club PA system, for dancing . . . but streaming online,  or late night radio, ear buds . . . well, robotic generic processing will pull the volume down, mess with your EQ balance . . . often with not pleasing results. Nothing to do with the song . . . your song is a great idea, it just might not get delivered properly to all those listeners.

I'm just reaching out here to you, because of the last line of your reply to Lynn, you know there are some really helpful folks here ! . . . I've heard your stuff here, it seems you have a very large creative spirit . . . I learned a lot here about recording science here on the Cakewalk Forum.

thanks for your insights!!!!!!!!!!

The idea is to record it so it sounds as good as possible on the many different ways and systems that people listen to music.

i record in sonar x1 volume 10-6 db.i have eq,compressor on master.i then go into harrison mixbus and insert a limiter to bring up volumes and mix all the tracks,listening to me monitors as well as headphones.then i finish with ozone 9 mastering.

noynekker                            i'am open to you and others for all suggestions possible.jack c.

Hi Jack, In response to your E-Mail:

On 8/5/2021 at 8:23 AM, jack c. said:

distortion only on me voice and kick has drum leveler

I would record a second vocal clean (  Don't copy and paste ) but sing on another vocal track, use a different mic if you can.. pan the distorted vocal 3% right and the clean vocal 3% left ( or something like that ) and then slowly bring it up the clean vocal in volume until it sounds good with the distorted vocal track. (almost all people double their vocal tracks} that should more or less take care of that issue🍻 ( Same with the kick)

I would also start the song with just the basic stuff like drums and bass and vocal only, and then go balls out on the chorus. (This way you don't have to destroy your song and start over) don't change the volume of the song just pull back on how many instruments you use during the verse.

As far as reverb goes, I use a very pulled back reverb on my master at the start of a project just so it sounds like everything is in the same room.

something like this

verb.jpg.a078e2f39c24b579a2a5e3e901662e7b.jpg

I'm using Sonitus  because Cakewalk comes loaded with it..

and then for vocals I'll use delay on top of a very light reverb

something like this

sdelay.jpg.00ac80a7a907fa6b23e49375a86af17f.jpg

Vocals use delay more then reverb unless your going for that Radiohead sound.

Please take this all with a grain of salt after all the song will dictate what it wants. the only reason I wrote this is because you asked🙃

I hope this helps you... Peace✌️