Total Novice Questions for PC build

Kamikaze

I've been away from Cakewalk for a while. Lot's of computer woes, including Roland Quad restarting, bought a Scarlett and the same thing. But now my laptop a 17" i7 has coe to the end of the road. Stupid really, the hinge has gone. and can't be fixed because the seal that holds the screen in is disintegrating, and there is no replacement. So I'm having to leave open on my desk. 

I've had a look at replacment 17 inchers, and damn, I can't afford right now. 

I've had a look a some building a PC on youtube, but that gets really crazy quickly. My Laptop was generally powerful enough for me, but I would like something stronger. Should be easy 8 years later,

Enough waffle. My starting questions are about reusing the laptops existing componants to save money.

Can the Ram be used in a Desktop

Crucial 16 GB Kit (8 GB x 2) DDR3L 1600 MT/s (PC3L-12800) SODIMM 204-Pin Memory

Do I just use a SATA cable to connect the SSD. I have 2

SSD Samsung 860 Evo 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III MZ-76E1T0BW

So looking at this I am guessing my RAM won't fit, I could swap out the 512 for my TB SSD (Put this 512 SSD in my small work computer). Put another SSD in a CDdrive Caddy. Or is it likely to have more space for an extra drive? 

PC Specifications DELL VOSTRO 3681 (70226500) (i7-10700, 8GB Ram, 512GB SSD, DVD-RW, Wireless, Bluetooth, Win 10 Home)

Product's name - Computer Synchronization

Manufacturer - DELL

Machine model - VOSTRO 3681

Product code - 70226500

CPU - Intel Core i7 10700 (2.9Ghz/4.8Ghz, 8C/16T, 16MB cache)

Chipset - Intel B460

Ram - DDR4 1x4GB 2666MHz (2 slots, Max 64GB)

Storage - 512GB NVMe SSD (1 slot 3.5 SATA HDD is empty)

optical drive - DVD-RW

Graphics - Intel UHD 630 Graphics

Network - 802.11ac 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth, Lan 10/100/1000Mbps

Monitor connection port - HDMI+VGA

Connector

4 USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A
4 USB 2.0 Type-A
1 SD 5:1 Media Card Reader (Optional)
1 Combo Audio Jack
1 Line out
1 VGA port
1 HDMI out
1 RJ-45

Power - 200W

Operating system - Windows 10 Home  SL

The Dell Vostro line is their entry level business computer line.   Pretty weak system and only a paltry 200 watt power supply.    You can do much better than this.  And, laptop memory will not work in a desktop.   Dell uses proprietary parts including many power supplies so upgrading and beefing up is iffy.  You need a minimum of 8GB of RAM, and that will mean installing two new and compatible memory modules.  On and on.

Even though it's level entry, once the rams beefed up I'm sure it'll nock mine for 6. 

I just checked the CPU benchmark on my laptop compared to the 10700 in the Dell and HP etc. MIne scores 2606 against 16999. So combined with the sam ram and SSD drives it going to feel very different. 

My Budget is about 20 million, This HP is 17.5 million and a pair of DDR4 8Gbs will be another 2.5 million. (I'm in Vietnam)

PC Specifications HP PRODESK 400MT G7 (22F93PA) (i7-10700, 8G Ram, SSD256GB, DVD-RW, Wireless ac, Bluetooth, key, mouse, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, BH 1 Year)

Product's name - Computer Synchronization

Manufacturer  HP

Machine model  - PRO 400MT G7 

Product code - 22F93PA

Style, color - Standing form, black color

CPU Processor - CPU INTEL CORE i7 10700 (2.9Ghz/4.8Ghz, 8C/16T, 16MB)

Chipset - Intel Q470

Ram - DDR4 1x8GB 2666MHz  (2 slots, can be upgraded to Max 64GB)

Storage  - SD 256GB Nvme (1 free HDD/SSD Sata slot for further upgrade)

optical drive - HP 9.5mm Slim DVD Writer Drive; 

Graphics & Audio - Intel UHD 630 Graphics ; Integrated Realtek Conexant CX20632

Network - Intel I219-LM Gigabit Network Connection LOM (standard)

Monitor connection port - VGA+HDMI+DP

Connector

2) USB 2.0 Type-A ports (rear)

(2) USB 2.0 Type-A ports (front)

(3) USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A ports (rear) 5 Gbps signaling rate

(2) USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A port (front) 10 Gbps signaling rate

(2) USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A port (rear) 10 Gbps signaling rate

(1) RJ-45 (network) connector (rear)

((1) Microphone/headphone combo jack (front) CTIA and OMTP headset support

(3) Internal SATA port

(1) Internal M.2 PCIe x4 2280 (for storage)

(1) Internal M.2 PCIe x1 2230 (for WLAN)

(2) Internal PCIe x1 Gen 3

(1) Internal PCIe x16 Gen 3

Power supply -  260 W active PFC

80 PLUS Platinum

Operating system - Windows 10 Home SL English

Basically the same, but stipulates the extra SATA ports. 

I think your requirements are much greater than mine. My Laptop was fine for the job and this will be a big step up regards processor and multiple SSD drives compared to  5400rpm drive on the laptop, as well as faster USB ports.. I never struggled with 16gb ram.

Edited by Kamikaze

If you like it, go for it.  Only suggestion is to add another 8GB of RAM.  Having memory in both slots allows dual channel operation.  Only issue, many times mixing brands of memory (same tech specs) doesn't work and two of the same brand is needed.  Just be aware of this, and its with any brand PC.

Yeah, I said my intention was to add a pair of 8gB

Off the shelf, things are pretty limited here. The i7 10700 seems to be the best CPU the shops have in off the shelf computers, unless I go for a gaming computer and then everything hikes up. 

I did look at i9 10900k and an Asus Prime Motherboard, which macheted the price of this off this shelf, before adding cooling, Ram, power and a case and the OS. It's both pushing my budget and agility It would be the ideal though, having a clean install and everything. 

We're on full lockdown at the moment, so I'll have to stew on it. 

Toying with the idea of building around a i9-10900K

Apart from the Socket: LGA1200, what else tells me it's compatible?

I have done a number of searches, but everything seems gaming orientated at this level, and I'll probably never install a game beyond solitaire (if that's still shipped with the OS), so where is best to look for articles ?

If the board comes with a HDMI/VGA/DisplayPort, does that mean it has on boar graphics processing, and a graphics board is only really needed for games. The optimal work is need, if a graphic card adds performance boost, to Sonar, but isn't needed, then I can upgrade this later if needed. 

If anyone can suggest a budget level 10900K suitable board, please do. Preferable with 4 DDR4 slots so I can add another pair at a later date, rather than swapping out  although I assume a if it's a 2 channel 2 slot DDR4 it's the same performance as a 2 channel 4 slot DDR4 when the total ram is the same. (Am I getting the hang of things?) 

EDIT:So a local shop in Da Nang that has helped me in the past has the i9 10900k and Mainboard MSI Z490-A PRO for 18 million. I've seen similar prices with small savings if I get from Ha Noi, so that seems the going rate for Vietnam. This happens to match the price of the off the shelf i7.

I watched a video on doing a Windows install with no internet connected and was drooling at the options to tell Microsoft to er... mind their own business. A totally clean install is something I've dreamed off, especially after every time I spend a day deleting software on a new laptop. .

I'm thinking of asking them to install the CPU as that's the only thing I'm really worried about bodging up. 

Edited by Kamikaze

(14,190,000 VND)  CPU INTEL Core i9-10900K (10C/20T, 3.70 GHz Up to 5.30 GHz, 20MB) - 1200  

(4,199,000 VND) Mainboard MSI Z490-A PRO 

(2,950,000 VND) RAM desktop CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro CMW16GX4M2D3000C16 (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz

(880,000 VND) Cooler Master Hyper 212X

(1,190,000 VND) Computer Power CORSAIR CV550 - 550W - 80 Plus Bronze

(1.700,000 VND) Corsair 275R RGB - BLACK tempered glass case (Inc. 2 fans)

23,409,000 VND Total = 732 Quid = 1020 Bucks

Apart from the OS (I have two 1TB SSDs already) have I missed anything. This is only 3.5 million over my budget, and I'm kind of surprised at what I get for it. 

The Intel CPU graphics is more than adequate for DAW work, and even some gaming.  

Check prices on regular Corsair memory.  The "RGB" lights are not really needed.

The Corsair power supply is OK, but consider a 650 or 750 in case you later add a video card or any other expansion boards.  I like "fully modular" supplies as it eliminates unused cables.

Thanks for your input, been a bit of a journey.

After watching an MSI build video, it suggested going to PC Parts Picker to calc the watts. It came out at 226Watts, so I though more than double the headroom. I guess video card could add a bit, but I doubt I'd seek anything glorious.

Yeah, I've no interest in the RGB, but it was cheaper with than without. for the same model. I guess there is far more demand for the model here. The Vietnamese love their tacky flashy lights.   

We have o deliveries at the moment, so online services can only take orders. Hopefully being lifted at the end of next week. I can then go into the branch. 

I'm thinking of using one of my SSDs for my work laptop, instead. hen put an M.2 drive in. I will still have another SSD 1TB add to the build.

Worth going down that road ?

EDIT: I've also found a better case, similar but better and no RGB to remove.

Corsaire Airflow 4000D. 

Reviews seem very promising and often mention it's ease to build with. 

Edited by Kamikaze

I'm not familiar with Vietnam supply chain and their currency, but I can say that building a machine spec'ed for audio is going to be fairly similar to doing a gaming rig minus all the silly lights and the beefy GPU.  And it gets expensive fast.  I'm battling some of the same things you are right now.  Most of the cheap off the shelf stuff from places like Dell are super super integrated.  They're nearly impossible to upgrade.  Everything is proprietary and basically a throwaway machine.  And the PSU's are sadly underpowered for anything more than a web surfer.

I saw a question earlier about onboard video.  Most mobo's these days have onboard video.  You wouldn't need a graphics card.  Seeing as how you don't game, it'd be a waste of money to get the graphics card IMO.

Edited by Myriad Rocker

1 hour ago, Myriad Rocker said:

I'm not familiar with Vietnam supply chain and their currency, but I can say that building a machine spec'ed for audio is going to be fairly similar to doing a gaming rig minus all the silly lights and the beefy GPU.  And it gets expensive fast.  I'm battling some of the same things you are right now.  Most of the cheap off the shelf stuff from places like Dell are super super integrated.  They're nearly impossible to upgrade.  Everything is proprietary and basically a throwaway machine.  And the PSU's are sadly underpowered for anything more than a web surfer.

I saw a question earlier about onboard video.  Most mobo's these days have onboard video.  You wouldn't need a graphics card.  Seeing as how you don't game, it'd be a waste of money to get the graphics card IMO.

I mostly agree with you.  My recording system is a self built system with a Gigabyte "Designare" motherboard and an i9 9900K CPU.

In ref to the Dell's, I do user support on the Dell forums.  I can buy Dell at employee discount but as noted built my own.  However, there are many using Dell's for DAW work.  I have a friend with a ProTools studio in Nashville and he is using a Dell XPS8930, stock, and not having any PC issues.  There is a recent thread on here from a user that just bought a Dell for DAW work.  There is a recent thread on the Dell forums of a user with a new XPS8940 that is going to use it for DAW work.  If I were to buy a Dell for DAW work it would be their "workstation" Precision line.

35 minutes ago, Jack Stoner said:

I mostly agree with you.  My recording system is a self built system with a Gigabyte "Designare" motherboard and an i9 9900K CPU.

In ref to the Dell's, I do user support on the Dell forums.  I can buy Dell at employee discount but as noted built my own.  However, there are many using Dell's for DAW work.  I have a friend with a ProTools studio in Nashville and he is using a Dell XPS8930, stock, and not having any PC issues.  There is a recent thread on here from a user that just bought a Dell for DAW work.  There is a recent thread on the Dell forums of a user with a new XPS8940 that is going to use it for DAW work.  If I were to buy a Dell for DAW work it would be their "workstation" Precision line.

Maybe I wasn't clear and that's why you said "mostly agree".  I was specifically talking about cheap off the shelf Dell stuff (or insert whatever manufacturer here).  I was not referring to the better XPS line, which are less integrated than the cheaper ones.

The XPS line (new/newer models) are no different than the regular consumer Inspiron desktop line.  Still proprietary.  Dell abandoned the 24 pin power connector for an 8 pin and proprietary power supply on many.  My recommendation of the Precision line still stands with Dell.

OTOH my 2018 Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 has worked well in my studio and use for on site recordings.   I'm not a laptop fan but needed a portable PC.  Bought the "gaming" model as it has better cooling and a higher wattage power supply.  Most laptops use a 65 or 90 watt power supply, the gaming models use a 130 watt.