Helpful Utility: USB Device Tree Viewer

I have been really struggling as some of other users of late to pinpoint sources of latency and conflicts , especially when USB devices are involved. I currently am using a PreSonus Studio 6|8 USB 2 Audio Interface and just having some really annoying crackles when working with the latest update of SampleTank 4.04. I was wanting to make sure that the PreSonus was on a dedicated USB channel and found this utility that provided a clear and straightforward view of how things were connected.

You can see that there is a lot going on but I was able to get the Studio 6|8 on its own by sort of trial and error connecting and checking the tree:

EavEsYs.jpg

You can learn more about this utility here:

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html#download

I now actually believe it is a SampleTank 4.04 issue as I tried the project and loaded it down with a lot of heavy memory VSTs (Trillian, Kontakt (running NOIRE), Addictive Drums, etc)

Hope it helps?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, razor7music said:

I see. So what this app does beyond just the device manager in Windows, is show you what's actually connected to a particular USB hub. Is that right?

Yes,
It allows you to see what devices are connected to what USB Device, Root Hub, etc.. Very helpful and confused as to why Device Manager does not have something like that? I tried looking at the show devices by connection and by resources but it is very confusing while this is just straightforward and easy to understand.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Device manager does - you need to change the view type to "devices by connection" (or similar -not at PC right now).

Thanks Kevin,

Found it, I got confused with view Resources and that threw me off. The utility does seem to make things a little clearer as you do not have to drill down through the tree. I knew that was there I guess I just got lost in the forest because of the "trees"😎 .

Yes. This program is something very helpful, and shows the usb/port connections that I have been wondering about. Seems that Device Manager in Win10 doesn’t show some of this info, or if it does, it is definitely more obscure and impossible for me to interpret.