Bass Track Went Silent

DallasSteve

Question

Another day, another Cakewalk mystery.  I am working on a song and I was editing my bass track in the piano roll view.  Then when I went back to play my changes that track is silent.  (screenshots below)  It's not muted.  The volume is up for the track.  I looked at the events list and all I saw besides notes in that track was a Shape event.  I'm not sure what that is, but I deleted it and still no sound.  The other tracks play with sound when I press Play.  Can you help me solve this mystery?

Cakewalk3.jpg

Cakewalk2.jpg

Edited by DallasSteve

3 answers to this question

Strange.  I went back and viewed the Event list again.  I didn't see or do anything.  I closed the Event List and when I pressed play the Bass track is playing now.  But it's playing with a piano sound, not the selected bass patch 34 that I picked.  Any ideas why it was silent and why it came back?

I am not sure what happened there. 

One possibility is that, in the MIDI track, some events are set to the wrong channel.  This might also explain why a piano is heard in stead of the required Bass sound (Patch 34 should be a bass sound).  Yes, the intended part has been set to a BASS sound. However, the MIDI channels used in the events themselves might send those events to another part which, by default, is a piano sound.  Setting the MIDI track’s MIDI channel setting to a specific MIDI channel rather than “none” (done above where you set the patch) will force all MIDI events in that MIDI track to that channel.

BTW, I believe a “shape” event in the event list is MIDI automation on that track.  Before deleting those, you might want to make sure there is no automation in the MIDI track.

Not sure why you have 2 instances of TTS-1. I notice your Bass seems to be outputting to the TTS-1 -2 so it will be the second one in the synth rack. 

TTS-1 supports up to 16 midi channels. I see your bass patch is 4TTS-1-2 so that should show as channel 4. 

I would delete the unneeded instance of the TTS-1 unless your planning on having 32 midi channels.. 

As @Promidi has said it would be wise to set the channel in the inspector just to make sure. 

Have you tried the SI bass ? it blows away the TTS-1 and its included. I see you are using the SI drums so it must be installed. 

And when ever you have issues open the instruments GUI and use the pre view buttons to make sure the TTS-1 ( or any VST instrument) is working correctly. 

Edited by John Vere