Clean Audio Folder

marcL

Today I wanted to clean the general "Audio Data" folder in my projects directory. But in the utility the flag "Search entire PC" is always enabled (inactive)! ๐Ÿ˜

This is a PITA on a modern PC where you have that many files. And I absolutely know that all my project files are only in the project directory! So what shall this nonsense mean? ๐Ÿ˜ก

I tried to use the Clean Utility of Splat instead (it has a different flag). But it seems it uses the same utility in the background, it seems it is part of the Shared Utilities folder!

So is there a senseful way to do this task? Or is there a possibility to read the project files with an own program? Is there an official definition of the project file?

I last used the cleanup utility circa 2006. It hosed a project and I haven't used it since.

If I want to clean up a project nowadays, I'll do a Save As to make a copy and then delete the original folder. But that's going to be quite tedious if you want to clean every project you have.

ย 

Now, if there was just some convenient way to identify and delete all my never-completed-and-never-will projects.ย That would give me a lot of disk space back!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve_B said:

If you run Clean Audio with a project open then Search Entire PC is not checked. It defaults to the current project path but you can change that to be whatever path you want.

Thanks, I checked this. It seems it runs to a certain degree, i.e. if I open any project, open the clean utility and go up to the projects top folder it lists at least all audio files that are not used in the top "Audio Data" folder and the one of the opened project. But all audio files in other project "Audio Data" subfolders are not being checked. At least it solves the most important issue for me, the data in the top "Audio Data" folder can be checked like this!

ย 

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

If I want to clean up a project nowadays, I'll do a Save As to make a copy and then delete the original folder. But that's going to be quite tedious if you want to clean every project you have.

I know this possibility, but it does not solve my major issue, i.e. to find out which files in the global audio folder are obsolete!

ย 

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Now, if there was just some convenient way to identify and delete all my never-completed-and-never-will projects.ย That would give me a lot of disk space back!

This is exactly what I am looking for!

2 hours ago, marled said:

I know this possibility, but it does not solve my major issue, i.e. to find out which files in the global audio folder are obsolete!

Save As will only save audio files that are referenced in the project file. Things like deleted tracks won't be copied into the new folder.

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

Save As will only save audio files that are referenced in the project file. Things like deleted tracks won't be copied into the new folder.

Yes, but this only helps to avoid obsolete files for a SPECIFIC project! Like this you cannot find out whether files in the "global" audio folder are still referenced, unless you do the "save as" for all of your 100s of projects! ๐Ÿ˜„