Problem drawing in CC64 in PRV (SOLVED)

Billy86

I'm trying to draw in with the draw tool Sustain Pedal down information in Measure 35. I don't want it in Measure 36. I click/drag to the end of the measure 35, then release. But the draw doesn't stop there, It draws in on its own in ALL the subsequent bars. Thinking maybe the Pedal down CC stays "on" until I turn it off, but I can't figure out how to do that in PRV.  What am I doing wrong? Thanks. 

DL8qPKc.gif

Edited by Billy86

Not 100% sure, but I think that the moment you release the mouse when drawing, you are actually writing a value - which is not zero -, and it persist in the lane. If you want cc 64 off you have to specify that value on your writing by drawing at 0. 

The other thing I see is that you may have engaged the Snap button - may be Snap to Measure?, and that's why when you release the mouse, tha value goes to the very end of that measure.

Whatever level you draw, it will always persist until the next controller event changes it, so yes you do need to draw the pedal up. And it does appear you have snap at a measure which is why another pedal event gets drawn when you mouse passes the middle of the measure. Drop you snap resolution to something like an 8th, draw the pedal down at the top (127) with a short drag, and then go to where you want to turn it off and draw the pedal up (0) with a short drag, 

When performing with a real pedal, a pedal down will typically occur approximately a 16th to an 8th after a chord change, and the pedal up will be about the same amount before the next chord change.

EDIT: Incidentally, the values don't usually have to be exactly 0 and 127. Most synths that don't respond to continuous sustain values with partial damping will give a full pedal down response at values at 64 and above, and a full pedal up response for any value below that. 

Edited by David Baay

Thanks everyone! This was all great information. The snap values and (tiny) drawing at for "up" and "down" fixed my issue. I think I have it figured out! I've never used the event viewer, so that's all new territory...