Gibson Records

57Gregy

There must be something wrong with me because I could never warm up to anything Gibson. SG's, LP's, Acoustics.

I had a Deluxe Black Beauty Lefty. It felt great but I could never get a good sound. I bought it sight unseen from my local guitar shop back home in NJ. They called me and said it would move fast so I said I'd take it over the telephone. That was a thing we used to have hanging on the wall. Had a loud bell that went off when you had a call coming in. Anyway .... How often do you see an 83 lefty deluxe. Everyone who looked at it said it sounded great and was 100% original and wished it was a righty and they would buy it.  I sold it online through a big place in Lawrence KS for $1200 iirc? To someone here actually. Can't remember who. On the old forum.

The one I still regret to this day passing up was a lefty John Lennon Signature Rickenbacker. Very very rare guitar. Couldn't afford it at the time.

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Don’t know which era was worse; Henry or Norlin...

t

Don't know about the Henry era but my '74 Left-Handed LPC pictured in the front is a Beauty (no pun) Original I owner paid a whopping $500.00. Still sounds & plays great. There's nothing  like a good Strat, Tele or Paul.

Gtr1_900x1200.thumb.jpg.2dec3cdc7e205992f8c6ea0587d43db2.jpg

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I like my Epi 59' inspired LP. Perfect for me who play very little guitar.

By luck I've come across more lefty Gibsons and Epi than anything else. Every time I've always preferred the Epi. I played a stripped down lefty Epi LP Studio one time. Probably the best feeling and best sounding guitar I've ever played. Love my Epi Sheraton II. Last I checked they don't even make them lefty anymore. IIRC correctly it was $250 with Epi branded hardshell case. They just wanted to dump it. Used like new. In fact it was the last thing I kept that I bought at G.C. in Overland Park Kansas 10 years ago just before I was forced to move here due to work. Have I mentioned in this thread how much I miss IA? 😞

4 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

Every time I've always preferred the Epi.

To clarify, I'm not putting Gibsons down. The main difference that I've noticed is the necks are thinner on Epi's. I have big hands and they fit better on the smaller necks. It's the same reason it's getting harder to play my Martin and I want to replace it with that Fender Acoustisonic modelling guitar with the slim Tele neck.

I've always wanted to try one of those new style necks that are tapered I think? Thinner to thicker at the top or something like that. Never seen one lefty though.

2 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

I'm a Gibson baby - i love them and have a few. This is my pride and joy - Les Paul Elegant Alloy - one of  only 15 made i think it was

Nigel

IMG_20200919_1439233.thumb.jpg.a7715bedceb72de61c7d7c792acde5cc.jpg

Wow very Rare Gibson Les Paul . Since your post is the first I've heard of this Guitar I did a search and  found this video that talks about this rare guitar .

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

9 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

To clarify, I'm not putting Gibsons down. The main difference that I've noticed is the necks are thinner on Epi's. I have big hands and they fit better on the smaller necks. It's the same reason it's getting harder to play my Martin and I want to replace it with that Fender Acoustisonic modelling guitar with the slim Tele neck.

I've always wanted to try one of those new style necks that are tapered I think? Thinner to thicker at the top or something like that. Never seen one lefty though.

From what I hear the new EPI LP Standards are excellent. Like the Gibson the 50's has the chunkier neck while the 60's is slimmer. Never played one myself but watching the many YT vids it seems the only major differences might be the finish & pickups.

Otherwise it appears to be a solid build; sound, play ability, quality.. & of course the price difference between the two makes it temping.

Being a lefty myself I know what a pain it can be; limited selection, availability, hard to demo etc. & if the neck ain't right.....

18 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

I just saw on FB that Gibson has started its own record label.

You're assuming that they are also opening their own studio. But that would make sense. After all, what else are they going to do with all those Gibson studio monitors?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

You're assuming that they are also opening their own studio. But that would make sense. After all, what else are they going to do with all those Gibson studio monitors?

I'll have to look again, but I think it read something like "in association with BMG" records.