Why Can't I Use My Samples?

So this is a problem I discovered around about 2 weeks ago. I had just downloaded a sample pack to use for a new song I was working on. I was so excited to use said sample pack because those samples were what I needed to finish my song. But I quickly came to realize that those samples, didn't work. 

I don't know if it's because I didn't download them correctly, the samples just aren't compatible (which is stupid because both of those are complete and utter non sense), or there's something more to it. I just downloaded more packs and midi packs too but none of those work either. I noticed that there's an icon next to a sample or midi file that shows what will be allowing me to listen to the file like shown below. 

image.png.07f7838e2bf276dd6949430503d247f0.png

It used to be Groove Music which was the default audio app for my laptop but I uninstalled the app and all other variations of apps like that, in hopes that it would change something. It didn't. So I just installed Media Player instead just so I would be able to listen to what my samples and midi files sound like. 

I have tried multiple times to drag and drop my files from the Files app but it just gives me a grey "Not Allowed" sign. I also tried to change where my packs go so I could access them from Cakewalk but even that doesn't work. I have done this before however. At one point I downloaded the "Unison Free Mini Midi Chord Pack" and that worked perfectly fine in both forms like drag and drop and picking out the samples from Cakewalk itself. 

image.png.6e08373779018ccb6e453e501c9a7bb3.png

This is the ONLY pack that I downloaded that works fine. I downloaded this pack before I went and uninstalled the apps I mentioned earlier. 

So there it is. I am unable to use my downloaded packs because of some weird app permissions thing that doesn't allow my files to transfer to Cakewalk. 

If anyone has any idea how to help me, please do. Also some help with knowing where to store packs so they don't take up my laptops storage would be nice.

Please and thank you.

Here's one a lot of people use. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-6-player/

Your midi file looks like it is associated with Cakewalk which is correct. So you can double click and it will open and play in Cakewalk using the TTS-1 VST instrument. If it doesn't automatically load the TTS-1 then make sure there are no outputs selected in Preferences/Midi/ Devices. If you just drag and drop a midi file to a blank project the midi data will create a midi track. But a midi track doesn't make any sound. It has to be output to a VST instrument. 

If you don't understand these basic things it would be a good idea to start watching the many tutorial videos before wasting a lot time guessing how things might work. 

Edited by John Vere

Of course wav (and other audio format) files can work by dragging them into the track view in Cakewalk - you don't *need* a sampler VSTi to play them (it does help though).

This sounds like a classic UAC/privilege escalation issue, where you're running Cakewalk as Administrator, and dragging from explorer/desktop which is running as your normal user - Windows doesn't permit this by default (for security reasons).

You should never need to run Cakewalk as Administrator, so that would be the first thing I'd check - and turn it off if you are.

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2021 at 12:12 PM, John Vere said:

Your midi file looks like it is associated with Cakewalk which is correct.

That has nothing to do with it. That's just a midi file I downloaded from Cakewalk. 

Also I did download Komplete Kontrol but I have no idea how to drag my samples into it. 

Edited by Music Meister

We are trying to help. But as I said I'm not even sure where you are at with this.. a month goes by and have you done any further research?  and  ya, read the instructions that come with the Sample player?   We are very helpful here if your ask questions and stay engaged in the thread. Otherwise myself I will assume you figured it out ( great)  

So what is the question?

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Music Meister said:

I have no idea what that means but I'm guessing you're not helping me and you're siding with the other guy.

It's an abbreviation that means that you should try to avail yourself of some of the voluminous documentation on the matter that's provided for you.

What do you mean "siding with the other guy?"

The Lord helps those who help themselves. And so do I. You're not really behaving like somebody who wants help.. You refuse to answer any of the questions that are asked of you and then you seemingly abandon the thread because you're gone for a month.

15 hours ago, bdickens said:

It's an abbreviation that means that you should try to avail yourself of some of the voluminous documentation on the matter that's provided for you.

What do you mean "siding with the other guy?"

The Lord helps those who help themselves. And so do I. You're not really behaving like somebody who wants help.. You refuse to answer any of the questions that are asked of you and then you seemingly abandon the thread because you're gone for a month.

I do want help and I left for 4 months because life caught up to me and I am in a real blackhole of problems right now. I do apologize for leaving all of you like this and I do appreciate all the help and assistance that you guys are trying to provide. And the "other guy" is the John Vere guy because yes I did respond super late but he still managed to find time to disrespect me and create a toxic conversation. That's what I meant. 

Again, I'm sorry for leaving but you can't stop time and you can't prevent life from passing you in the race. 

14 hours ago, Kurre said:

You could give information about where you got the samplepacks from and their name.

That way we could check ourselfs what format it have and what needs to be done.

I don't remember exactly where I got most of them but I know that majority come from Cymatics who is obviously a trusted source. The rest I don't remember but I know that those are also trusted people. 

The two common reasons files cannot be dragged from the OS into the DAW are

1. The DAW is running as administrator. The DAW does not run as administrator by default. You would have had to explicitly change this in the compatibility tab in the program properties.
  2. The files are not files recognized by the DAW.

While the OS prevents drag and drop when running as administrator, the media browser should always work, however; by default, the media browser in the DAW applies a filter to show certain types of files. Refer to the media browser documentation for this list. Generally files blocked by the filter are not used by the DAW. If you believe the files should be displayed in the media browser, verify the file names have the proper extension. Note: the image in the OP has file extensions turned off so there is no way to tell what the full file names are. There is a setting in Windows Explorer View tab to show extensions.

There is an option in the media browser menu (B in the image below) under Views to "Show All Files And Folders"

Browser.03.1.png

If the files are on an external drive, try copying a couple to the C drive and see if they can be imported into the DAW.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1