MIcrophone not working

DallasSteve

Question

I have a USB microphone connected to my computer and when I open a project in Cakewalk and create an audio track it does not pick up sound from the microphone.  I checked in Windows 10 and I can see the volume meter moves when I talk into the microphone.  But when I arm my audio track to record and press record it records nothing.  I don't see any green flashes in the volume meter for the audio track.  I selected Stereo Realtek ASIO HD Audio Input as the input for the audio track.  What else do I need to do?

Edited by DallasSteve

5 answers to this question

I solved the initial problem.  I found the page below that said if I'm using a USB microphone I need to set the driver to WASAPI Shared.  After doing this I was able to hear my voice in the microphone.  The input level is way too loud.  I will study how to adjust that next.  If anyone knows the answer, that would be helpful.

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034700933-Connect-a-USB-Microphone

I decided to experiment with other settings in the Preferences -> Audio screen.  I set the driver to WASAPI Exclusive and tested the microphone again.  This time the recording sounds normal.  Can anyone explain WASAPI Exclusive vs. WASAPI Exclusive and the other Driver modes?  I will use that setting for now unless someone has a better solution.

I found the below link that describes the driver modes.  It says, in part, "Exclusive mode provides low latency audio and direct access to the audio driver, bypassing the Windows audio engine. The disadvantage is that only one application can access the driver in Exclusive mode."  So I guess exclusive mode would be better for performance reasons.  I think this closes my issues on this thread.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=AudioPerformance.29.html