[SOLVED] Can't get a MIDI signal from Roland RD1000 into Cakewalk

tdehan

Question

This has just got me baffled!  I cannot for the life of me get a MIDI signal into Cakewalk from my Roland RD1000 piano.  The MIDI cables are connected to my Berringer UMC404HD interface correctly.  I can see interface show that a MIDI signal is coming in as it is flashing.    I have tried setting the INPUT in Cakewalk to both OMNI and to channel 16 which is what the Roland is transmitting a MIDI signal on.  

Any ideas?

thanks

Edited by tdehan

15 answers to this question

This is obvious, but did you select the UMC404HD as the midi input for the track? You didn't really say.  

If your using a Simple instrument track ( combination of midi and instrument )  it will be that input. 

If your using a midi track pointed at an Instrument track then select it in the midi track, 

The input echo should come on by default when you click on the midi or simple instrument track to put in focus.  

Edited by John Vere

Ignoring the output side for the moment, does the MIDI activity monitor that Cakewalk places in the Windows Taskbar show input activity (enable under Preferences > Customization > Display),  and, if so, can you record MIDI input?

Verify the RD1000 is set to transmit regular MIDI data on channel 16 and not just SysEx messages, and/or try deliberately changing to a different transmit channel.

Incidentally, if the RD-1000 is like my old RD-300S from the same era, it can transmit on two channels at once, and you'll want to make sure one is disabled. 

Edited by David Baay

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

Ignoring the output side for the moment, does the MIDI activity monitor that Cakewalk places in the Windows Taskbar show input activity (enable under Preferences > Customization > Display),  and, if so, can you record MIDI input?

Verify the RD1000 is set to transmit regular MIDI data on channel 16 and not just SysEx messages, and/or try deliberately changing to a different transmit channel.

Incidentally, if the RD-1000 is like my old RD-300S from the same era, it can transmit on two channels at once, and you'll want to make sure one is disabled. 

The MIDI activity monitor does not show any MIDI activity.  However, the MIDI input monitor on my Behringer interface does show MIDI input activity.

The RD1000 is set to to transmit regular MIDI data.  I've changed the MIDI transmit channel to Channel 5 still with no luck.

The RD1000 cannot transmit on 2 channels at once.

I am attaching a couple screenshots.  I've tried All Inputs, the Behringer and None both on OMNI and Channel 5 with no luck.

Input Behringer.PNG

All Inputs.PNG

None.PNG

Glad you got it figured but in your screen shot you have the input set to none. It should be set to the interface midi.

Also you don’t seem to have an instrument track. You are sending it back out to the piano. 

guess you figured that out 

Edited by John Vere

If the Behringer showed input, and the MIDI activity monitor in the Taskbar did not, that would indicate some problem with the driver. If you rebooted at some point, the driver might have started working properly.

If you're now getting MIDI recorded and echoed in Cakewalk, I think you'll find that the MIDI monitor is now also showing that activity.