Control Bar keeps changing

rfssongs

Question

I installed a new instance of cakewalk on a new machine. One problem is that the console control bar setup keeps reverting back to a selection of modules other than what I choose.

Is there a setting that will preserve my setup ?

Edited by rfssongs
Previously used the wrong term.

13 answers to this question

On 7/26/2021 at 3:21 PM, rfssongs said:

Is there a setting that will preserve my setup ?

There may be other methods, but one way is to use Workspaces.  For example, here are the Console View Modules for the same project using different custom Workspaces:

[images deleted since the OP mean the Control Bar, not the Console; see below]

Another option  might be to select "None" as your Workspace.  There are probably other alternatives.

Edited by User 905133
to remove images that were made OT due to OP correction

8 hours ago, User 905133 said:

There may be other methods, but one way is to use Workspaces.  For example, here are the Console View Modules for the same project using different custom Workspaces:

image.png.bd6e89c110ea6c131b2b4ac3bc7c94c4.png

Another option  might be to select "None" as your Workspace.  There are probably other alternatives.

I am sorry I used the wrong term I meant to say Control bar - see the revised post above.

Same thing. Workspaces save your settings. The issue I have with the system is cakewalk defaults to a basic set up. They say this is so new users are not confused by all the features. This has the opposite effect in my opinion because new users can’t find the stuff that shows in the tutorials and if we show screen shots. 
I always advise to select the Advanced workspace. 

Here it is almost end 2023 and no simple resolve... when updating software it would be relatively easy to code to save a layout.  I just switched to a new computer and it is aggravating and to be honest a waste of valuable creative time... perhaps someone that speaks with the coders will pay attention to this important detail.

• Confused 1
  • Meh 1

42 minutes ago, Bud Brown said:

Here it is almost end 2023 and no simple resolve... when updating software it would be relatively easy to code to save a layout.  I just switched to a new computer and it is aggravating and to be honest a waste of valuable creative time... perhaps someone that speaks with the coders will pay attention to this important detail.

If you have created a user defined workspace on your old computer and would like to have it on your new computer as well, simply copy the corresponding workspace (.LNS) file stored in %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Lenses\User and paste it to the same destination on your new PC. If you have updated a factory workspace, you'll find the .LNS file it %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Lenses\Factory.

On 9/19/2023 at 12:41 PM, Canopus said:

If you have created a user defined workspace on your old computer and would like to have it on your new computer as well, simply copy the corresponding workspace (.LNS) file stored in %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Lenses\User and paste it to the same destination on your new PC. If you have updated a factory workspace, you'll find the .LNS file it %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Lenses\Factory.

Thank you ... all new computer and win11 now win 7 (better software IMHO)  - new computer is fantastic... but cakewalk is more wonky than before... I found the workspace fix and it seems to be okay now - thank you for your input.  Right now I'm look at other software because of the inconvenient changes to cakewalk (I originally purchased SONAR and was happy.   Now with the win11pro64 and the new cakewalk groove clip looping (which was very easy) is now not only wonky it is completely useless... I have to 'duplicate' the clip after trimming and then bounce then duplicate that... it is an absurd waste of creative time... but all of the documentation and the blogs offer no sound assistance.  I create my own clips with the tempo on my Yamaha MOX6 and use the matching tempo in cakewalk but groove clip looping automatically decides to change the temps (not before, but now) and even with changing it in the Loop Construction viewer changing the tempo does zilch.  Very disappointed in going to a new computer and now feel forced to look at other more reliable software... too much wasted time on wonky coding.

again thank you for your input... and sorry for the rambling on the GCL inadequacies (something that DID NOT exist before...wow)

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Bud Brown said:

Now with the win11pro64 and the new cakewalk groove clip looping (which was very easy) is now not only wonky it is completely useless... I have to 'duplicate' the clip after trimming and then bounce then duplicate that... it is an absurd waste of creative time... but all of the documentation and the blogs offer no sound assistance.  I create my own clips with the tempo on my Yamaha MOX6 and use the matching tempo in cakewalk but groove clip looping automatically decides to change the temps (not before, but now) and even with changing it in the Loop Construction viewer changing the tempo does zilch.  Very disappointed in going to a new computer and now feel forced to look at other more reliable software... too much wasted time on wonky coding.

What version were you on before updating? I'm not aware of any recent changes in this area. Can you share examples of raw and looped (i.e. before and after) clips with tempo info and the tempo of the project to which you're importing?

28 minutes ago, David Baay said:

What version were you on before updating? I'm not aware of any recent changes in this area. Can you share examples of raw and looped (i.e. before and after) clips with tempo info and the tempo of the project to which you're importing?

David - honestly I don't know... as I mentioned I purchased SONAR X3 and then cakewalk took over and I just kept up with the updates until I was advised that win7 was no longer able to get dependable updates.   I made the mistake (it seems) of getting a new computer (which is working fine) and then downloaded the 'current' cakewalk and that's when the problems started... lots of things that worked before don't work now... and so I'm experimenting now to find how how this new (looks the same) version works or doesn't.  My  first trial export produced zilch... and a composition that is 6:24 showed up as over 14:00 minutes... bizarre and without any sound.  I do get the 'clicking' like a needle dropping (I read that in another older blog) and now all meters are red...for no apparent reason.  Had to shut down the program and restart... twice so far just to get it to work.  My work path is the same as it's been since 2018 (or so) without change... but not this software...

any helpful suggestions appreciated... not sure why but it takes an inordinate amount of time to 'save' and much too long to 'export'  --  exasperating to say the least and musically counter productive...

Just now, Bud Brown said:

David - honestly I don't know... as I mentioned I purchased SONAR X3 and then cakewalk took over and I just kept up with the updates until I was advised that win7 was no longer able to get dependable updates.   I made the mistake (it seems) of getting a new computer (which is working fine) and then downloaded the 'current' cakewalk and that's when the problems started... lots of things that worked before don't work now... and so I'm experimenting now to find how how this new (looks the same) version works or doesn't.  My  first trial export produced zilch... and a composition that is 6:24 showed up as over 14:00 minutes... bizarre and without any sound.  I do get the 'clicking' like a needle dropping (I read that in another older blog) and now all meters are red...for no apparent reason.  Had to shut down the program and restart... twice so far just to get it to work.  My work path is the same as it's been since 2018 (or so) without change... but not this software...

any helpful suggestions appreciated... not sure why but it takes an inordinate amount of time to 'save' and much too long to 'export'  --  exasperating to say the least and musically counter productive...

BTW I appreciate your time here... but I have given up on the groove clip looping fiasco... and I'll work around that even though it's more time consuming... while I search for another software -  I open to suggestions if you have any