Bees - new video

Lynn Wilson

Over the last couple of decades I've become concerned with the danger of extinction to the honeybee.  Their population has twice been decimated, and their importance to agriculture cannot be underestimated.  So along with some of my dearest friends (new and old) I wrote a song and made a video about the plight of the bee.  Those of you with sharp eyes may spot our own Freddy J (Webb) during the grand finale, but the rest of the choir includes Pat and Jane Norman, Roger Fife, and Karyl Wilson.  Roger played bass, and I did the rest.  Each choir member contributed their own video clip, so my thanks to them!

I hope you all enjoy!  As always, I look forward to your comments and thank you for your time.  Here's the video link:  

• Like 5

Lynn (and friends) . . . very cool song and collaboration project !

You've tackled something super important that gets lost from the mainstream news, with all that other stuff going on. The bees and their tie to agriculture are a crucial part of the fragile ecosystem that sustains us all with those healthier foods.  There is some very interesting bee footage in your video, so well done . . . all of it.

Hope this creates a real buzz, it deserves it :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Lynn and all your mates who made this happen, thoroughly enjoyed this bit'o'work and the video is impressive ... so much so it could be a professional mainstream job. I think as Jack C has noted there are a few, lets say, timing issues here and there, but this issue of bees is an extremely serious one ! Your message should be well read / listened to, if people take  the time to read up about this issue and others like it and what it means to our ecosystem then you sir, have completed your best work ever.

Hope that's not too heavy .. but :P

ATB

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nicely done!! I know my front lawn garden attracts all sorts of pollinators, including many different types of bees. Not sure if any of them are honey bees, though.  Different types of bees (and wasps, too) seem to prefer different flowers. Your video has inspired me to do some research to try to find which flowers are favored by honey bees!!! 

UPDATE: That was easy!  It seems that they like Echinacea, Black-Eyed Susans, Sunflowers (all of which I do have).

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

22 hours ago, HSM said:

Nice one Lynn, enjoyed the tune & video. Some amazing footage there.

Thanks so much!  I got lucky;  most of the footage came from the royalty-free sections in YouTube.

21 hours ago, jack c. said:

tighten up the snare a bit.jack c.

21 hours ago, jack c. said:

also kick.jack c.

Jack, it's not the kick or snare that's off, rather it's most likely the guitar or bass.  I used a preset drum pattern from Superior Drummer 3, so unless my software came in with a hangover, it wasn't the drums.  Just consider this having the human touch ;)  Thanks for listening.

These bees are killer!

I particularly liked the background vocals, and I thought the lead vocal might be more prominent. I liked how you picked an issue of importance. In your chorus, that second chord is an awesome choice, minor and dark and unexpected, at least by me. Loved it.

If you like to eat, you like this song.

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

This turned out great Lynn.  You did a very professional job in putting this all together.  This is indeed a very important topic.  Not only from an ecological standpoint but from an economic stand point.  Much of Florida's agriculture depends on these little critter's.  I love oranges and I love honey.  The honey comes directly from bees and the oranges come from the activities of bees in pollinating orange tree flowers.

Excellent work Lynn, and thanks for inviting me to participate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2021 at 11:45 PM, noynekker said:

Lynn (and friends) . . . very cool song and collaboration project !

You've tackled something super important that gets lost from the mainstream news, with all that other stuff going on. The bees and their tie to agriculture are a crucial part of the fragile ecosystem that sustains us all with those healthier foods.  There is some very interesting bee footage in your video, so well done . . . all of it.

Hope this creates a real buzz, it deserves it :)

I appreciate your time and thoughts.  YouTube gets the credit for much of the footage, as they have a ton of royalty free content.

On 7/27/2021 at 7:53 AM, SupaReels said:

Hi Lynn and all your mates who made this happen, thoroughly enjoyed this bit'o'work and the video is impressive ... so much so it could be a professional mainstream job. I think as Jack C has noted there are a few, lets say, timing issues here and there, but this issue of bees is an extremely serious one ! Your message should be well read / listened to, if people take  the time to read up about this issue and others like it and what it means to our ecosystem then you sir, have completed your best work ever.

Hope that's not too heavy .. but :P

ATB

Steve

Steve, thank you for your kind and wise words.  My first goal was to raise awareness of this issue, and I may have overlooked  a stray hit or two from the drum software, but then, that's kind of my trademark ;)

On 7/27/2021 at 9:07 AM, KurtS said:

Sad and good song. 

Kurt, thank you for understanding!

On 7/27/2021 at 9:13 AM, User 905133 said:

Nicely done!! I know my front lawn garden attracts all sorts of pollinators, including many different types of bees. Not sure if any of them are honey bees, though.  Different types of bees (and wasps, too) seem to prefer different flowers. Your video has inspired me to do some research to try to find which flowers are favored by honey bees!!! 

UPDATE: That was easy!  It seems that they like Echinacea, Black-Eyed Susans, Sunflowers (all of which I do have).

Wow, what a gratifying response!  Thanks for taking the time to do a little research and care.  I know a lot of homeowners may not like to hear this, but dandelions are a big attraction for honeybees.  That made me quit using pesticides and weed killers on my own lawn (with my neighbor's blessings).

On 7/27/2021 at 11:00 AM, PhonoBrainer said:

These bees are killer!

I particularly liked the background vocals, and I thought the lead vocal might be more prominent. I liked how you picked an issue of importance. In your chorus, that second chord is an awesome choice, minor and dark and unexpected, at least by me. Loved it.

If you like to eat, you like this song.

cheers,

-Tom

Thank you very much, Tom!  I learned a long time ago that the more I eat, the older I get~~~  I appreciate your comment about the chords of the chorus.  I had several choices and decided that dark was best for this song which led me to end it on a more upbeat note.  (btw, I knew it was you)

On 7/27/2021 at 3:21 PM, freddy j said:

This turned out great Lynn.  You did a very professional job in putting this all together.  This is indeed a very important topic.  Not only from an ecological standpoint but from an economic stand point.  Much of Florida's agriculture depends on these little critter's.  I love oranges and I love honey.  The honey comes directly from bees and the oranges come from the activities of bees in pollinating orange tree flowers.

Freddy, it was an honor to have you participate in this, especially knowing your educational background.  It lends gravitas to this subject!  Let's hope this is just a beginning.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:21 PM, freddy j said:

WELL SAID AND WELL DONE

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 6:49 AM, mgustavo said:

Hi, nice work! Thanks for sharing! 
As others said it's a very important subject! 

Best regards

Thank you for your kind words!  Let's hope this is only the beginning.

On 7/28/2021 at 7:06 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Lynn and Friends

Really like this, cool track - nicely put together and the video is great

Excellent, enjoyed the watch and listen.

Nigel

Nigel, I have to admit, I was inspired by your own videos.  I appreciate your time and comments very much!

On 7/28/2021 at 8:56 AM, steve@baselines.com said:

Nice job Lynn - and good to see old Albert in the video as well!

Steve, thank you so much for taking a look at this and commenting!  Albert was happy to do this for me, though I didn't get to "colorize" him like he wanted ;)

32 minutes ago, SupaReels said:

WELL SAID AND WELL DONE

Once again, thank you for your kind words, Steve.  That must be the "London Way"!

• Like 1

Our garden is not big but it is dedicated to the local flora and fauna.  All the plants that grow are nectar and pollen rich.  The 3,500 gallon pond has easy access for all to drink and escape if they fall in.

We love our bees, our dragon fly's and other insects.

Cool song Lynn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1