CC trouble when assigning midi track to another synth channel

Antti

I'm having trouble getting midi tracks cc events to go where they should when assigning a track to different synth channel. The simplest example is this: 

• I insert a Garritan 5 synth to rack and create the corresponding audio track. In the synth, I select channel 1 to play flute and channel 2 to play cello.
  • I create a midi track and select the synth. In the track inspector, I select Midi Channel nr 1.
  • I input some notes.
  • In piano roll view, I click "Add new controller". In the pop up dialog, I select Type:Control, Value:1-Modulation, Channel:1. 
  • In the PRV Controller Pane, I draw some controller changes.

So far so good! The mod wheel controller events change flute (channel 1) dynamics as they should.

The trouble begins if I try to changes this track to play synth channel 2 instead of 1. In the track inspector, I change Midi Channel = 2: Aria Player. Now the track's notes play cello in synth channel 2. I see no reason to assume that cc-events wouldn't likewise go to channel 2. but THE CC EVENTS STILL GO TO FLUTE IN CHANNEL 1!

I cannot figure out what is going on here! I'm a Cakewalk newbie, so I'm guessing there's something fundamental I haven't fully grasped. I cannot imagine that this could be a manifestation of a bug.

Otherwise, Cakewalk seems to be intuitive and feature-rich DAW, so I would like to be able to continue using it. I would greatly appreciate any advice that that could help me to the bottom of this to me unexpected behavior.

Problem solved -- sort of...

I have continued trying different things, and I have found that the problem here is specific to Garritan GPO VST 3 plugin. I first tried to see if problem can be repeated with Miroslav Philharmonik's VST 3 plugin. It worked fine -- channel setting in the tracks inspector overrides any channel setting in the creation of PRV's controller pane CC. Same with GPO VST 2! So there is obviously a bug somewhere, but now that I know it I can avoid it by limiting myself to using GPO VST 2.

8 hours ago, bdickens said:

That's operating as designed. You have to change the MIDI channel of your CC events as well.

No, he's using the 'forced' MIDI [output] channel assignment in the track which should non-destructively re-channel all events on playback, both notes and controllers, overriding the embedded channel in the events themselves. And per the OP, it's working as expected with the VST2 of Garritan and the VST3 of Miroslav, so evidently the VST3 of Garritan has an issue, though it's a bit difficult to imagine what that could be, exactly.

• Like 1