Guitar fretboard display and midi.

Kurre

As a guitarplayer i recognize the chord if i see a picture of it as dots on a fretboard. Looking at a name of a chord doesn't ring any bells. I'm selftaught and never bothered with theory.

Is there a plugin that gives you those chord pictures and lets you drag the chord from the picture to a miditrack and creates the midinotes for it?

When using the Staff view, you can open the Fretboard view within it and have access to over 1,200 chord diagrams. While the program won't add the notes to the staff or fretboard, you can draw  in the chords you want to play/hear in either one.

chordsa1.png.441b9cc6af056df812df3ffb08145ea2.pngchords23.thumb.png.6052367f229c4ea668af381fe8c0b444.png 

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

Once you've selected Chords above the Staff, a white area will appear. Clicking in it where you want your chord always starts with 'C'. Right-click the C and that will open the chord library and you can select any chord from it and the 'C' will change to that chord.
Drawing the chord on the fretboard will not show you a diagram in the Chords area, but you can find that chord in the library and add it.
To keep from having to navigate the library every time you want to add a chord, if the chord is already in your song, clicking on it will select to be drawn in again elsewhere. Otherwise, when you click in the white area it will always add the last chord you selected.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

16 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Once you've selected Chords above the Staff, a white area will appear. Clicking in it where you want your chord always starts with 'C'. Right-click the C and that will open the chord library and you can select any chord from it and the 'C' will change to that chord.
Drawing the chord on the fretboard will not show you a diagram in the Chords area, but you can find that chord in the library and add it.
To keep from having to navigate the library every time you want to add a chord, if the chord is already in your song, clicking on it will select to be drawn in again elsewhere. Otherwise, when you click in the white area it will always add the last chord you selected.

Thanks. I knew there where a fretboard but didn't knew all of that. I'll test it out.

The idea as always is to be lazy.

I see how i hold my fingers when i play in real life and finding that chord in a picture in the plugin should save a lot of time getting my real life chords down to midi and played with a guitar virtual instrument.

22 minutes ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

If you like the sound of a certain finger pattern you're playing on your guitar, copy it into this Online Chord Analyser and it will give you some suggestions for the name/s of the chord/s.

Hey! 🤩

If it had a save button and it saved the chord as a midifile it would fit my description (almost (added)) perfectly. 👍

Edited by Kurre
Correction.

It exists as a midifx. Not resizable tiny tiny gui. Is the thingy to the left in the window supposed to be a fret?

The Online Chord Analyser also had this function where you could change the unpressed strings from silent to sounding. That changes the sound when strumming and is important.

On 7/26/2021 at 5:11 AM, Kurre said:

As a guitarplayer i recognize the chord if i see a picture of it as dots on a fretboard. Looking at a name of a chord doesn't ring any bells. I'm selftaught and never bothered with theory.

Is there a plugin that gives you those chord pictures and lets you drag the chord from the picture to a miditrack and creates the midinotes for it?

You can purchase a MIDI guitar "pickup" converter that takes your playing in realtime and translates the audio into MIDI to be recorded just like a keyboard would.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 4:59 AM, clovis said:

You can purchase a MIDI guitar "pickup" converter that takes your playing in realtime and translates the audio into MIDI to be recorded just like a keyboard would.

Some claim this is even better than many of the physical pickup coverters and doesnt' require a hardware ad-on.  I ran the demo and though it was pretty impressive.

https://www.jamorigin.com/

unfortunatly they raised the rate again by another $50

Edited by Brian Walton

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

Some claim this is even better than many of the physical pickup coverters and doesnt' require a hardware ad-on.  I ran the demo and though it was pretty impressive.

https://www.jamorigin.com/

unfortunatly they raised the rate again by another $50

I've used this in the past - the tracking and recognition are least as good as my old Roland GI-10 with a GK2-A pickup ( which to be fair, isn't that great either), but the fact that it does it with a single audio signal and in realtime is impressive.

However... the plugin itself is pretty buggy in my experience, and very sensitive to both ASIO buffer size and sample rate.   My best results were at 48Khz with a buffer size of 128 or 256.

When I did use it, I bounced my existing project as a single WAV file (as a backing track), and imported it into a brand new project for doing the MIDIGuitar stuff.  That way, if it crashed (which it did quite often), I wasn't worried about corrupting my existing project.

I've since stopped using it to be honest.  I can get just as good results just recording the guitar as audio, then dragging the audio to a MIDI track and making the required edits for note velocity.

@Kurre - this is what I'd recommend:

1. Drag your recorded guitar audio on to a MIDI track to convert it to MIDI
2. Insert Cakewalk's Chord analyser on the MIDI track as @57Gregy suggests.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

I've used this in the past - the tracking and recognition are least as good as my old Roland GI-10 with a GK2-A pickup ( which to be fair, isn't that great either), but the fact that it does it with a single audio signal and in realtime is impressive.

However... the plugin itself is pretty buggy in my experience, and very sensitive to both ASIO buffer size and sample rate.   My best results were at 48Khz with a buffer size of 128 or 256.

When I did use it, I bounced my existing project as a single WAV file (as a backing track), and imported it into a brand new project for doing the MIDIGuitar stuff.  That way, if it crashed (which it did quite often), I wasn't worried about corrupting my existing project.

I've since stopped using it to be honest.  I can get just as good results just recording the guitar as audio, then dragging the audio to a MIDI track and making the required edits for note velocity.

@Kurre - this is what I'd recommend:

1. Drag your recorded guitar audio on to a MIDI track to convert it to MIDI
2. Insert Cakewalk's Chord analyser on the MIDI track as @57Gregy suggests.

I bought Melodyne 4 studio with the hopes of #1 working well with Cakewalk, but kept finding there was way too much garbage to clean up for practical use.

Any tips to get this to work as expected?  

5 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

I bought Melodyne 4 studio with the hopes of #1 working well with Cakewalk, but kept finding there was way too much garbage to clean up for practical use.

Any tips to get this to work as expected?  

It's mostly about choosing the right algorithm. I find polyphonic sustain works best for me for most cases.   For Melodyne 4, this means creating a region fx, setting the default algorithm, then removing the region fx before you drag to the MIDI track.  If you're using Melodyne 5, you'll get a prompt to choose the algorithm before the conversion.

Sometimes applying a high & low pass filter to the source, and/or adding some compression can help too. You'll need to bounce the result so it's baked into the waveform before converting to MIDI.  This reduces the frequencies Melodyne has to analyse  (in particular high frequencies / harmonic content), and evens out the velocities.  Mess around with normalization as well to get a consistent signal level for Melodyne to use.

You can get reliable results pretty quickly with this method, but it can take time to get good results with respect to velocities.  Once you get some settings that work well, save it as a preset (i.e. in an FX chain) so you can go to it quickly.  Alternatively, you could use a CAL script or Articulation Map to even out velocities afterwards.

Velocity values are always going to be a problem, as they're not only sensitive to the source material, they're also gonna be different depending on the instrument you're playing the MIDI back with.

Thanks everyone!

All ideas is good. Some doesn't fit in to what i have in mind but could be useful in other ways. 👍

I'm also thinking if i should do it myself. (As usually happens in regards to practical work as plumbing, painting, locksmith, joinery and pcbuild).

Thinking about downloading a demo to test, of Blue Cat Audios Plug'n Script.

The problem is patience. I have in my life give up a lot of things because of my lack of patience regarding theoretical stuff. It seems i have to be able to see the finishline of a project to hold on to it.

Maybe i'm older and wiser. We'll see. 🐘