Musical FusterCluck

Bapu

18 hours ago, Bapu said:

@kennywtelejazz all you had to do was ask for it. You dinnit need to travel all the way to SoCal.

I used to live in So Cal from 1997 to 2006 . After being cooped up for over a year plus it was nice change of pace to squeeze in a Road Trip   .

Regarding your Bass . I do hope they sort it out in your favor .

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

8 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

All this reminds me.

I miss the days when we had full-service mom & pop music stores in any mid-sized town and up.

I remember going to Ace Music in Miami and trying out 3 Selmer Mark VI saxophones in a 'practice room' with a strobe tuner and picking the one that had the best intonation.

I remember local music stores with Gibson, Epiphone, Fender, Gretsch, and other major brands hanging on the wall.

Unfortunately, those days are gone. The last two saxophones and the last two guitars I bought, I didn't get to try out first. Plus, I had to wait for delivery.

Some things are definitely better than they used to be, others are not.

Insights, incites and a minor rant by Notes

PS I hope your bass arrives in perfect shape and in the end you decide it was worth the wait.

Sure the type of Music Stores you mention are far and few between .I feel  I lucked out because the GEO area I live at has some really decent Mom and Pop stores .

Here's one about 12 miles from where I live ..This place has a lot of Band instruments and things like double bass's and tuba's I have never seen much of that at GC.

https://www.beacockmusic.com/c-52-band.aspx

They also sell all the Fenders, Gibson's ,  and a bunch of cool acoustic instruments ....I go here before I go to GC ....I have a GC close less than 10 miles away But I can't stand going in there .

Kenny

We have a local chain here that manages to survive on band rentals and lessons. It's a place I used to hang out at in the 70's, trying out every new keyboard. Once they even let me MIDI every synth in the store together so I could play them all at once. I once played an outdoor festival that they sponsored, during which I blew out my PA speakers - they replaced the speakers at no charge for better ones (18" JBL D130s). 

But I have to admit that the last time I went there was 3 years ago, to pick up an SM-58 on the way to a gig after mine broke. (Yes, it is possible to break a 58 if you're especially talented at breaking things.) Once they're gone, the only remaining retailer will be Guitar Center. And I will never shop there again after my stolen-gear fiasco. 

I'm gonna swing by my local shop and see if they has a Jack Casady Epi. The only downside if they do is it's full payment up front and the MF was $17/mo 48 months interest free.

It's not that I need the interest free 48 months but it does help to sort out saving up for a bulk a final payment as opposed to paying down a interest bearing CC.

Not exactly music related, but worked in Tillamook Oregon and took awhile to get used to package and mail delivery norms.

When mail was delivered by USPS and if a package was too big to put in your street box, or the mail lady was too damn lazy to get out of the truck and deliver letters, she would honk her horn several times. If you didn't dive out the door to pick up quickly, she just returned everything.

She was however outdone by UPS.

We received a Christmas package in July. It was soaked and looked like something had been chewing on it. It was delivered to us by someone we didn't know.

The UPS driver had evidently been overloaded with packages and decided to dump his whole truck onto someone's carport. Unfortunately the house owner lived elsewhere and the house was his vacation place. The packages or what was left of them sat there for 6 months.

Service with a smile or something like that. Way more inspiring than my horror stories of lost GC shipments.

John

2 hours ago, John K said:

We received a Christmas package in July. It was soaked and looked like something had been chewing on it. It was delivered to us by someone we didn't know.

The UPS driver had evidently been overloaded with packages and decided to dump his whole truck onto someone's carport. Unfortunately the house owner lived elsewhere and the house was his vacation place. The packages or what was left of them sat there for 6 months.

Service with a smile or something like that. Way more inspiring than my horror stories of lost GC shipments.

John

Well, if it was a fruitcake I'm sure it was still good. Those things will survive Keef and cockroaches.

Edited by Bapu

On 7/27/2021 at 3:52 PM, Bapu said:

@kennywtelejazz all you had to do was ask for it. You dinnit need to travel all the way to SoCal.

That's it ! I had enough ! I'm dropping in on Kenny to get my Bass .

7lr2wMr.jpg

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

Since they are getting really hard to get, I found a very decent used one on Reverb in St. Louis, MO. It will ship Monday.

I'm going to cancel the order with MF, or maybe simply replace it with a Sterling Sting Ray (same price). I'd like am American Sting Ray but it's triple the price.

48 minutes ago, Sheens said:

guess I'm in the wrong fred, sorry

We Fixed it for you .

A5rJoe2.jpg

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1