Solitary Man/cover

Bert Guy

• 2 weeks later...

This is brilliant, Bert.  Is that you in all the voices?  You did a good job of making them sound diverse.  This is the kind of stuff I listened to growing up.  I know the goal was dry, but just a little room ambience on the lead vox would give the recording more depth, like you did with tupelo to memphis (which is also great btw).

Edited by David Sprouse

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 1:54 PM, Lynn Wilson said:

I think you've done a terrific job on this cover!  I like it as is because it sounds genuine and heart-felt.  I'm going back for another listen.

Lynn,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

And thanks for noticing the vocal delivery. Lately I've been trying to sing more expressively. This song resonates with me and I think you can hear that.

(pro tip : vocal performance was facilitated by a few freezer shots of Bulleit 95 Rye between takes)

Cheers,

Bert

Edited by Bert Guy
  • Like 1

The vocals are interesting, there are a few intonation issues but as Wookiee singing kills none Wookiee life forms within a Parsec, I will so no more.

Are you riding the vocals or are they compressed it is is pumping?

I like the general feel and groove nice job.

On 8/2/2021 at 6:47 PM, David Sprouse said:

This is brilliant, Bert.  Is that you in all the voices?  You did a good job of making them sound diverse.  This is the kind of stuff I listened to growing up.  I know the goal was dry, but just a little room ambience on the lead vox would give the recording more depth, like you did with tupelo to memphis (which is also great btw).

David,

Thank you ever so much for your kind words.

I was kind of fooling around with vocal processing chains and such. and it it does sound like a different lead singer on the chorus than on the verses. I am glad to hear that you think it worked.  I gave the vocals only a whiff of reverb, but I will consider your suggestion when I remix/remaster and repost.  

And thanks for the props for From Tupelo to Memphis. I recorded that one almost twenty years ago in a studio, and I've shopped it anywhere and everywhere and no interest. Go figure, it sounds like a hit to me. Good thing I have a day job.

Cheers,

Bert

I like covers that don't sound exactly like the original so I'm liking your made-it-your-own version.
I thought the voc could use some (or more) treatment like reverb or double tracking (or bit of delay - not sure)
Anyway, very well done.
-Bjorn

On 8/18/2021 at 10:31 PM, ramscapri said:

Cool clean guitar Bert, subtle yet effective percussions, nice tremolo on the electric piano is it ? 

Cool vocals... good one overall with a nice country feel...

rs,

Thanks for the listen and your kind words.

Bert

On 8/21/2021 at 4:20 PM, bjornpdx said:

I like covers that don't sound exactly like the original so I'm liking your made-it-your-own version.
I thought the voc could use some (or more) treatment like reverb or double tracking (or bit of delay - not sure)
Anyway, very well done.
-Bjorn

Bjorn,

Funny thing- it never occurred to me to copy the original. I definitely was interested in putting my spin on this great tune. A good song can be interpreted a lot of different ways.

And thanks for your specific comments about vocal processing- I will have them in mind when I remix/remaster.

Cheers,

Bert