Follow-Up to My Windows 10 Comments - I Spoke Too Soon!

My comments were in the locked thread, but after way too many hours, I read that people were having  a hard time with the latest W10 update if Avast or a couple other programs were installed. Although Malwarebytes wasn't on the list, I uninstalled it and tried again to update. Again, after updating, I got a BSOD. After a restart, the problem sorted itself out, and the system now seems to be stable. 

I've noticed in the past that when Windows gives BSODs, just keep turning off and rebooting. Eventually either Windows figures out what's wrong, does an sfc /scannow disc repair, or lets you go into advanced troubleshooting where you can at least try to fix things.

Don't think Macs are exempt, either. Last night I was informed I needed a Safari and security update. After doing so, my MacBook Pro couldn't boot into the OS. Instead, it said the installation could not be completed, and displayed an error log.  The local Mac store walked me through four different procedures, each more invasive than the last one. The fifth one was opening in Restore mode and downloading the OS from scratch, which let me use the Mac again. At least it doesn't make you re-install your programs, but still, IMHO today's computers are a house of cards.

I have great sympathy for any company trying to develop for today's computers, let along remain compatible with yesterday's. 

Edited by Craig Anderton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Several people I know have had similar issues recently. My answer is a little app called Shutup Windows 10.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

It blocks the updates. I do update my Win 10 PC from time to time but usually wait until the cycles have run their course and the bug fixes are implemented.

• Thanks 1

I have the latest CbB on a few different computers, some are just back up versions on the off chance that things go wrong here or?

Two are fully loaded with all my VST's activated. One is a desktop W10 17. The other is a Laptop W7 i5.   The W7 laptop occasionally crashes on closing a project after saving it. The W10 machine seems 100% stable. As far as I know it's up to date as I leave it alone and it's turned on most of the day. I will  disable the LAN if I'm tracking. The W7 Laptop is off line unless I wish otherwise. ( it has a nice little switch for this). But at least 3 times a session ( say 4 hours )  it will crash on exit. 

I had to do some work on one of the back up computers  which is bare bones. It's also W7,  It also crashes after saving and trying to close the project.   

Out of curiosity I fired up another computer that is W10 all up to date and carried on. It never crashed on exit. So I abandoned the W7 machine thinking I should turf it now. 

So my conclusion is CbB runs better on W10 because that is what Noel said once about the code  being optimized for that OS>  I guess that can change overnight if W10 is altered from what the Bakers had coded for.

What is the W10 version that is not working for some right now?  Mine say 1809 - installed Feb 9th. build 17763.437

I'm on the insider program and at present I am running version 1903, build 18362.53. Installed on April 4 2019. Windows 10 Pro. I have no issues with the OS so far.

I have an i7 8700 CPU and 32 GB of ram.  I also run an old 550 ti Nvidia GPU on two monitors. I have a laptop with an i7 4 core running stock Windows 10 Pro that is up to date. I have had no issues on it either.  The laptop has a multi touch screen.  On my Macbook Pro I was locked out of updating any app until I had to contact Apple. LOL

Cactus : I'm running 1809 and have not seen any issues ! Note: My new build on a 8086k is my best build to date and all the right drivers and firmware ..Although win 10 is a PITA its manageable and windows support Canada offered free support at turning of  apps and stuff in background .. Apollo Twin mk ll is working out real well !

If you read what I say, I also have no issues with W10,,, I DO have issues with W7  and will leave it behind soon.  It's just the 2 old laptops that have W7. One was a Vista vintage so no way to put W10 on it  but the second came with W8.0 but being cheap I opted for my W7 crack over paying for a new OS when I changed the HD to a SSD. Aser wanted $ 45 for the recovery disk.

Everything was working fine with 1809, but then today, Windows decided it was time for another update. Can't get out of the BSOD. Automatic repair doesn't work. I can't take the time to re-install everything from scratch.

So I went to uninstall the lastest feature update. Got the "restoring previous version" or whatever it says, but then when it was done, said that "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed." In the BIOS, all the drives show up.

I can't boot from a recovery disc to re-image my 😄 drive, even though it's set as the priority in the boot order. I am totally hosed...all because of a Windows 10 update. 

I have no idea how I can fix this.

20 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

Everything was working fine with 1809, but then today, Windows decided it was time for another update. Can't get out of the BSOD. Automatic repair doesn't work. I can't take the time to re-install everything from scratch.

So I went to uninstall the lastest feature update. Got the "restoring previous version" or whatever it says, but then when it was done, said that "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed." In the BIOS, all the drives show up.

I can't boot from a recovery disc to re-image my 😄 drive, even though it's set as the priority in the boot order. I am totally hosed...all because of a Windows 10 update. 

Does it boot into safe mode?

47 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Does it boot into safe mode?

No, it shows the Windows logo, no dots chasing each other, and then throws up the error message. Not being able to use the Windows Recovery disc I did for my last image is disturbing. In the BIOS, all the drives are present and accounted for. 

This was a Windows 10 over Windows 7 install back in the day. I suppose I need to start over, but would it be possible to buy a new copy of Windows 10 and try to do an in-place install from a USB drive to avoid nuking all my programs and plug-ins?

You should not need to buy a new copy. All you need is the key to the one you already have. It might be enough to have the Windows 7 key. 

You can download the latest version non beta from MS as an ISO. That can be made to run on a USB stick for install.

I have no idea how to check it or restore it. It was probably a mistake to mention two different computers, I'm going to delete the reference to the second once. The problem is I can't do anything with the computer. I have a working laptop that has the latest version of Windows, so I'm going to use that to create a recovery drive and see if I can boot the main music computer from that.

Thanks John. At this point the product key for the music computer is the victim of three moves. I don't know where it is, all I know is the product ID...and I can't access that without being able to get into properties. Ugh.

Hopefully I'll be able to boot from a recovery drive and see what the next step might be.

If it is booting at all then your MBR is being accessed. If it wont much past the BIOS and gives an error that it can't find the MBR all you need is to restore that. 

This sometimes happens when one has multiple HDs. It might happen on a single HD system too. 

1 hour ago, Craig Anderton said:

This is puzzling because booting from a recovery disc is handled entirely by the machine's BIOS, prior to the Windows boot loader being involved. The Windows 10 update couldn't affect the BIOS.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

Thanks John. At this point the product key for the music computer is the victim of three moves. I don't know where it is, all I know is the product ID...and I can't access that without being able to get into properties. Ugh.

Hopefully I'll be able to boot from a recovery drive and see what the next step might be.

The key might be in an email from MS. 

If you do as I do and have more than one computer accessing email it might be on the other one. 

I am so sorry you are having this problem.  I have been through this sort of thing  more than once. Its not fun.