[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.06 Update 2 Early Access

We're pleased to announce Early Access for 2021.06 Update 2! This release fixes a few reported issues from the main 2021.06 release and adds some improvements.

We'd love for you to check it out before we drop the official public version. 

Please note that Early Access installers are update installers, which only update from a specific version. To install the 2021.06 Update 2 Early Access build, you must be on the latest public release of 2021.04 or newer. 

Download Cakewalk 2021.06 EA installer

Should you need to revert to the initial 2021.06 release, you can download the Cakewalk 2021.06 Rollback installer.

If you haven't already done so, please read about the Early Access Program before participating.
Please keep responses specific to problems or comments on this release. Unrelated bugs or feature requests should be posted in other threads or the feature request channel.

Thanks again for your participation!
The Bakers

2021.06 Highlights

"Modern Standby" support and improved Power Management 

• Added support for "Modern Standby" a new power management feature introduced in Windows 10 build 2004.
    Modern Standby mode is supported by some PC's (typically modern laptops). Modern standby is different from the traditional sleep modes and has to be specially handled by the application in order to suspend and resume hardware properly.
  • Improved handling for resuming from a sleep state in Windows. Cakewalk will additionally reload the driver if necessary, if the driver requests a restart or it stops responding.

• Suspend and resume are properly handled when a dialog box is open.

Handle VST instruments that change output counts

If a VST instrument changes its output count, ports in projects previously saved with the instrument could become offset by the change in outputs. This could cause projects to stop playing through other virtual instruments until their instrument track inputs were reassigned.
Cakewalk will now detect change in outputs on opening a project and  automatically reassign ports appropriately with no user intervention required.

Bug fixes

• Fixed crash when exporting single track with "-" in track name and filename
  • Wedge Force Matcha plugin hangs on changing presets in 2021.06 release
  • Projects saved with older versions of Omnisphere open with input ports assigned to incorrect instruments
  • Space bar does not start playback when using Vienna Ensemble Pro
  • Shift + Right Click toggle for Inline PRV causes unexpected lasso selection
  • New projects flagged as modified in 2021.06
  • Extra Synth Instances inserted when adding all synth audio outputs for Split Instrument Track
  • F2 to rename arranger section immediately after drag draw
  • Alt + T in TV View Menu cut off slightly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Great Idea 1

@Base 57 Can you please provide more information? There is nothing we can go on with just a report of a hang.

As far as we know there are no changes that could cause a hang so this could be an independent issue. If you can't repro the hang please capture a dump and send it asap so we can investigate.

What plugins are being used here?

6 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Can you please provide more information?

I am involved in a theatre production that runs through the 31st. Yesterday and today are the only days I've had off from that in several weeks. So yesterday I was glad I could roll back and continue working in the studio without much time lost. 

As it was a hang, not a crash there is no minidump. If time permits I will reinstall the EA later today and capture a dump from the Task Manager. Otherwise it will probably have to wait until next week.

6 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

What plugins are being used here?

For instruments there are 3 Air synths (DB-33, MiniGrand and Hybrid), SD3 and Dexed. Of these only SD3 has associated clips (so far) in the project that was hanging.

For FX there are several instances of Channel Tools, and also BluVerb, Breverb and BT Tempo Delay. All other FX are PC modules.

W10 Pro 20H2. Interface is an Antelope Orion 32+ using the TB driver 1.4.7.147.

• Like 1

They say third time is a charm. 

Yesterday after confirming the rollback worked, I re-loaded EA2 and then did a cold boot.  It hung immediately so I rolled back again and went on with my day.

Today I loaded EA2 again with the intent of capturing a dump with Task Manager but now it won't hang. I've run it for well over an hour with several projects and it is working as it is supposed to. 

So...     🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

Thanks for taking the time to test it, appreciated.
I expect that you ran into a hang that was unrelated to the EA2. This is a relief since there isn't any code in EA2 that I can imagine would cause a hang. In fact I fixed a hang with one VST instrument. Please keep an eye out and report back if you see anything untoward.

3 hours ago, Base 57 said:

I am involved in a theatre production that runs through the 31st. Yesterday and today are the only days I've had off from that in several weeks. So yesterday I was glad I could roll back and continue working in the studio without much time lost. 

As it was a hang, not a crash there is no minidump. If time permits I will reinstall the EA later today and capture a dump from the Task Manager. Otherwise it will probably have to wait until next week.

For instruments there are 3 Air synths (DB-33, MiniGrand and Hybrid), SD3 and Dexed. Of these only SD3 has associated clips (so far) in the project that was hanging.

For FX there are several instances of Channel Tools, and also BluVerb, Breverb and BT Tempo Delay. All other FX are PC modules.

W10 Pro 20H2. Interface is an Antelope Orion 32+ using the TB driver 1.4.7.147.

If I were to make a calculated guess I would think Air might be a potential cause. We've had issues in the past with some Air plugins.
If you get a hang again use task manager to capture the dump and that should show the stack where the hang occurred.

• Thanks 2