Thousand Miles - Uplifting EDM Soundtrack

whoisp

My best EDM type track ive done to date i think and it passed the mountain bike test i.e riding through the countryside with headphones on in sun haha. I'm really happy with my base playing and drums on this one. The song builds up, subtle flowing uplifting vibe. I do repeat the lyrics, its that type of vibe "keep it easy" and dance vocal FX.

Addictive Drums Black velvet through modulation and phase filters in places. Then i sample the 808 and pop kit for for main kick and snare.  Mostly done on KeyZone classic, Surge and Synth Master free bundles with tweaking Audio FX. Video just something i bang together to share my music.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This sounds great, but I think the bass and drums should knock a little harder for this type of song.  remember, this is dance music.  If that thump isn't there, it won't flow with the rest of the songs people are dancing to in the club.  You have a great base.  just tweak that mix to give a bit more thump. It's making me relax, which is good, but a few tweaks to mix and I will be dancing instead.

Edited by dubdisciple
  • Like 1

Sounds good, nice mix over here, enjoyed the sunflower playing guitar ha and looney tunes ending ha. I agree with dubdisciple that the song would be more dancey with more thump in the bass and drums, especially during the parts where the instrumentation gets reduced. At times the vocals are slightly too low.  Good name for the song, it has a traveling feel to it. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 6:31 PM, dubdisciple said:

This sounds great, but I think the bass and drums should knock a little harder for this type of song.  remember, this is dance music.  If that thump isn't there, it won't flow with the rest of the songs people are dancing to in the club.  You have a great base.  just tweak that mix to give a bit more thump. It's making me relax, which is good, but a few tweaks to mix and I will be dancing instead.

The originally mix i did was a heavier mix and i then always do a mix with more empathise on feeling and emotion. By far the majority choose this mix for the overall balance and feel than the heavier bass and drum mis, i know what you mean though.  If it was more instrumental i would have sacrificed more. I'm just experimenting with adding some type of EDM to my normal guitar songwriting style and getting more technical with cakewalk. I need to improve my mixing and mastering, this is my 11th song using a daw after choosing cakewalk its been a massive learning curve and getting the guitar out after 20yrs. Next project i am not sure what to do, maybe drum and bass or a classical soundtrack.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, whoisp said:

The originally mix i did was a heavier mix and i then always do a mix with more empathise on feeling and emotion. By far the majority choose this mix for the overall balance and feel than the heavier bass and drum mis, i know what you mean though.  If it was more instrumental i would have sacrificed more. I'm just experimenting with adding some type of EDM to my normal guitar songwriting style and getting more technical with cakewalk. I need to improve my mixing and mastering, this is my 11th song using a daw after choosing cakewalk its been a massive learning curve and getting the guitar out after 20yrs. Next project i am not sure what to do, maybe drum and bass or a classical soundtrack.

I believe you can keep balance and get baas and kick better.

• Like 1

I liked the video for its melange of kitchen sink visual themes, and I think whatever mix issues people are mentioning could be solved more simply if you didn't call it EDM. It's a pretty good pop mix, electro pop maybe?

Maybe the Addictive Drums hi hats could come across a little cleaner and crisper but as you said you are not being too finicky with this mix-wise, just banging it out, and I think it more than gets the fun across.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhonoBrainer said:

I liked the video for its melange of kitchen sink visual themes, and I think whatever mix issues people are mentioning could be solved more simply if you didn't call it EDM. It's a pretty good pop mix, electro pop maybe?

Maybe the Addictive Drums hi hats could come across a little cleaner and crisper but as you said you are not being too finicky with this mix-wise, just banging it out, and I think it more than gets the fun across.

cheers,

-Tom

1 minute ago, dubdisciple said:

I also want to emphasize that the mix issue is minor.  i loved it as is

5 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I agree with dubdisciple that it's good but the drums don't hit hard enough for this genre.  The kick needs a lot more level and punch...try layering multiple kicks and then side-chaining the backing track to duck out of the way of the kick on every hit. 

Yes you're right, Addictive Drums hi hats were a problem with fx i was using and i am still getting use to how AD works with its built in EQ etc. Addictive Drums can be quite ***** the way you set them up or have each drum or cymbal on its own track etc.  I should have had hi hats on two tracks really, one clean using pro channel eq and one with wet mix fx i used to get the sound i wanted for this track. i should call it electro pop. i see how people think when you say EDM, people associate it with banging kick on the quarter, when this is the sound  which suited the project goal. 

There is quite a few instrument tracks in this one with the vocal in front. I based the levels round the kick which was -12db and was clipping the mix in to many places, i used a drum room bus with the goal of ducking but maybe threshold to low. Mark is right with side-chaining, i need to do more work with side change compression because i did have threshold to low and not done enough with side-chaining which many multi tracks. Not sure which is the best free compression plugin in cakewalk with side chain. The problem is when you hit a piano note, at the same time as a bass note, maybe a chord and kick with a vocal, its easy to clip to often with dynamics of song when its driving. I need to look at side chaining more to trigger for sure.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 11:27 AM, Bajan Blue said:

I really like the track and another excellent video - for me personally i would want the drums and bass up a bit more

Apart from that, liked it a lot

Nigel

Devine Lie - Take the knife your video is epic haha i need that budget and maybe a spend more time and perfecting my music haha Yes the drums are weak in places on that track. Ive never been one for pushing drums up in any track. Years ago in a band at uni, the drummer had one level and i think its stuck with me to turn them down lol

• Thanks 1