Left/Right Balance Ozone 9 question

Marcello

No, if you're doing it right (i.e. not smashing the bejeezus out of it with compression) the two peak values will often be slightly different. As long as they're within 3-6 dB of one another, it's unlikely to indicate a problem. The tiny 0.9 dB difference shown in your screenshot will not be audible.

That's for peak values, though. RMS values should be fairly close. If there's more than, say, a 3dB difference, the mix may sound unbalanced to the ear. In that case, you'll want to review each track's pan position to make sure left and right channels are equally represented, such that they sound balanced to the ear. Headphones are good for that. In your screenshot you show a mere 0.4 dB difference, and nobody's going to notice that.

19 hours ago, bitflipper said:

No, if you're doing it right (i.e. not smashing the bejeezus out of it with compression) the two peak values will often be slightly different. As long as they're within 3-6 dB of one another, it's unlikely to indicate a problem. The tiny 0.9 dB difference shown in your screenshot will not be audible.

That's for peak values, though. RMS values should be fairly close. If there's more than, say, a 3dB difference, the mix may sound unbalanced to the ear. In that case, you'll want to review each track's pan position to make sure left and right channels are equally represented, such that they sound balanced to the ear. Headphones are good for that. In your screenshot you show a mere 0.4 dB difference, and nobody's going to notice that.

Ok thanks. I see the difference in RMS is 15.7 Left and 9.0 Right   so it's about 6 db difference, I guess is too much?

15 hours ago, Toy said:

As far as I can see in the screenshot, I think the difference in dB is because it is boosted by Maximizer.
OzoneIO.gif.0c72f256605985c806673fcb18bd9154.gif

For more information on RMS and Peak, see "Ozone9 Online Manual".

ah really? why the hell the Maximizer would boost only the right and not the left???

Anyway not my case, if I bypass the Maximizer is the same.

strange, is it a big difference in db? or can be left like that?

If is too unbalanced, what should I do? raise that Left in Ozone, or raise the left guitar in my mix?

Edited by Marcello

5 hours ago, Marcello said:

If is too unbalanced, what should I do? raise that Left in Ozone, or raise the left guitar in my mix?

Imagine you have a boat with many passengers, and it's leaning to the left. Would you tell all the passengers to take a step to the right as a group, or suggest that maybe the wrestling team might enjoy the view better from the right side of the boat?

25 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Imagine you have a boat with many passengers, and it's leaning to the left. Would you tell all the passengers to take a step to the right as a group, or suggest that maybe the wrestling team might enjoy the view better from the right side of the boat?

I confused the two faders, the one on the left is the input, the other is the output, so no left/right should be fine :D my bad!

Edited by Marcello