It's started crashing....

...no error message, nothing. Just disappears from the screen.

One thing that invariably causes it is bouncing to track - even just two clips. But other functions seem to do it too.

I have no CPU or RAM problems. And it's been running fine for a couple of months. Just started this crashing thing in the last few days. 

Any insights would be welcome.

Running on Windows 10, four-month-old Lenovo laptop, Cakewalk version 2021.06, Build 53

1 hour ago, Mark Bastable said:

One thing that invariably causes it is bouncing to track - even just two clips. But other functions seem to do it too.

I have no CPU or RAM problems. And it's been running fine for a couple of months. Just started this crashing thing in the last few days. 

Running on Windows 10, four-month-old Lenovo laptop, Cakewalk version 2021.06, Build 53

@Mark Bastable - can you send a project that crashes as a bundle file to @Jonathan Sasor , along with a note as to which track you were trying to bounce?

We'll look into it.

Also, if you're not getting a crash dump initially, try increasing the exception handling severity in the preferences to capture a dump to send to us. Just go to the Initialization File section and add this option/value:

image (1).png

....And, of course, this time it didn't do it, though it did three times before I posted. I haven't re-booted since it last crashed. Unless having a chicken sandwich is a workaround, not a thing has changed since the last fail.  Typical, huh?

However, I've set the Exception Severity, and I'll capture the next time it falls over. Thank you so much for the swift response.

Edited by Mark Bastable

2 minutes ago, Mark Bastable said:

....And, of course, this time it didn't do it, though it did three times before I posted. I haven't re-booted since it last crashed. Unless having a chicken sandwich is a workaround, not a thing has changed since the last fail.  Typical, huh?

However, I've set the Exception Severity, and I'll capture the next time it falls over. Thank you so much for the swift response.

That's always how it goes.

A further quick note for the exception handling, just bear in mind that you'll ultimately want to remove that once you've captured your dump because it can also catch some other things that are benign. It's very handy for when you're trying to troubleshoot a particular scenario to get more details on a problem, but you'll want to turn that off when you don't need it.

1 minute ago, Mark Bastable said:

...and it just did it again when I deleted a clip.

No error message displayed. Can you tell me where I can find the dump file?

If the crash is caught, it should prompt you about it, but they should go to C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\cakewalk\cakewalk core\MiniDumps. 

Curiouser and curiouser....

So, no (recent) dumpfile in the location you specified.

I thought the problem might have to do with FX on a couple of tracks, so I tried to archive them - and Cakewalk just hung. Revolving blue circle. 'Not responding' message. Had to kill it from Task Manager. This has happened a couple of times before too, when performing different functions.

I tried to save the project as a bundle, but I got the message shown below. Is that expected?

Cakewalk message.png

28 minutes ago, Mark Bastable said:

Curiouser and curiouser....

So, no (recent) dumpfile in the location you specified.

I thought the problem might have to do with FX on a couple of tracks, so I tried to archive them - and Cakewalk just hung. Revolving blue circle. 'Not responding' message. Had to kill it from Task Manager. This has happened a couple of times before too, when performing different functions.

I tried to save the project as a bundle, but I got the message shown below. Is that expected?

It's probably easier to just zip up the folder with your project in it, so we have both the project & audio files, then send that zip file to @Jonathan Sasor

I'm really sorry to be such a pain about this...

Apparently a message can handle only 5MB files. My zipfile of the project folder is more like 100MB. 

First, is that weird? I mean, does that indicate something awry? It's only ten audio tracks on a two-minute song, and five or six FX in use.

If it is weird, maybe that's something to do with the crashing problem.

And if it's not weird, shall I upload to Dropbox instead?

......I need a drink.

M

You probably have a ton of audio snap markers in your project. You can tell if the size of the CWP file itself is very large.
If you aren't intentionally using audiosnap you can flush all audio snap markers in the project from the AS toolbar.
Select all clips open the toolbar, right click the power button and choose Clear all audiosnap markers.
Then when you save the project file it should reduce the size.
You may also have takelanes or other data hidden that contributes to the file size.

To upload you will need to use dropbox.

image.png

Incidentally, I suspect I'm going through exactly the same process that I encountered when I taught myself a computer coding language thirty-odd years ago - which is that I'm learning things in the order I need them to solve immediate problems, rather than in any simple-to-complex sequence.

When I eventually got a job working with trained programmers, it turned out there were some very straightforward and fundamental techniques about which, rather embarrassingly,  I had no clue at all. But on the other hand, I sometimes cobbled together unconventional solutions about which my co-workers said, "Blimey, how did you get it to do that?"

Which is not to suggest I’m even close to impressing anyone on this forum. I’m a long way from that. I’m just admitting to ignorance. 

It's not so much a learning curve as a learning splatter. It'll take me a while to get it all to join up.

Edited by Mark Bastable

Incidentally, I suspect I'm going through exactly the same process that I encountered when I taught myself a computer coding language thirty-odd years ago - which is that I'm learning things in the order I need them to solve immediate problems, rather than in any simple-to-complex sequence.

When I eventually got a job working with trained programmers, it turned out there were some very straightforward and fundamental techniques about which, rather embarrassingly,  I had no clue at all. But on the other hand, I sometimes cobbled together unconventional solutions about which my co-workers said, "Blimey, how did you get it to do that?"

Which is not to suggest I’m even close to impressing anyone on this forum. I’m a long way from that. I’m just admitting to ignorance. 

It's not so much a learning curve as a learning splatter. It'll take me a while to get it all to join up.

Don't be too modest, you already impressed me with the chicken sandwich trick. : )

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, bdickens said:

How often do you save? If and when CbB crashes for me, more often than not it is after I have made a bunch of changes without saving.

Autosave every ten minutes, and manual save as soon as I've got the bloody bass part even close to right.

It would be good to get to the bottom of what is causing the crashes. Send me a PM and I can help you with the exception severity if you havent been able to set that. 
Most crashes should be caught immediately in that mode. Please also try the latest early access release that was posted in case that helps with your problems.

PS: received your project. We'll look at the project file and try and repro.

6 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

It would be good to get to the bottom of what is causing the crashes. Send me a PM and I can help you with the exception severity if you havent been able to set that. 
Most crashes should be caught immediately in that mode. Please also try the latest early access release that was posted in case that helps with your problems.

PS: received your project. We'll look at the project file and try and repro.

Thanks, Noel. 

Having experiemented a bit further, I suspect the culprit is MidiGuitar2 on a specific track (the second green one).