Guitar Rig Updated to 6.2.2

Magic Russ

Mine takes too long to load and gets a white screen initially but works ok once loaded. As it is working, I might leave this update a bit to see what others experiences are with it.

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, abacab said:

How does Guitar Rig compare with IK Amplitube 5? I have not looked at Guitar Rig in a few years...

The new amps are actually pretty decent.   However there are only 3 of them.  One is a Friedman, one is a 57 Fender-ish, the other is a super clean solid state bass amp.  They also redid the available impulses, which make some of the old amps sound better.

They did not update any of the old distortion pedals beyond cosmetics.

As far as effects go, they added in nearly all of their studio effects.  You get the mod pack, the crush pack, a version of Replika, the softube reverbs and compressors, the solid series,  Driver, SuperCharger, Raum, Replika Shimmer, and a new Doppel Filter.   

They claim that their new machine learning based amp technology will allow them to deliver new components at a rapid pace.  However, we haven't seen any new amps or distortion pedal components since release.

If you were one of the people who said "I use Amplitube for guitars, Guitar Rig for FX",  Guitar Rig 6 might move the needle but it won't replace Amplitube.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

If you were one of the people who said "I use Amplitube for guitars, Guitar Rig for FX",  Guitar Rig 6 might move the needle but it won't replace Amplitube.

I didn’t bother much with GR5 as an amp sim but the added effects have proven useful.  Some are too heavy on CPU for what they do, especially Raum and some other time-based effects.  Haven’t compared their standalone performance where there is one available and haven’t yet used outside IRS which might help the actual amp sims.

8 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

As far as effects go, they added in nearly all of their studio effects.  You get the mod pack, the crush pack, a version of Replika, the softube reverbs and compressors, the solid series,  Driver, SuperCharger, Raum, Replika Shimmer, and a new Doppel Filter.

The newer NI effects are much too resource hungry IMHO! I see that I avoid to use them for that reason. I have many other FX that do the same jobs with a fraction of resources! The update from K11 to K13 was disappointing for me, but YMMV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

They are not bad, at least for the ones that were included with Studio One.  I wouldn't buy them if I already had Amplitube though.

They were a giveaway to Studio One users, via PreSonus Hub. Not bad, but I like AmpliTube better! :)

15 hours ago, marled said:

The newer NI effects are much too resource hungry IMHO! I see that I avoid to use them for that reason. I have many other FX that do the same jobs with a fraction of resources! The update from K11 to K13 was disappointing for me, but YMMV.

I think this is also the problem I am seeing, there is a bump in resources required for KU13, mind you, I am still on a 3rd generation i5 with 8gig of ram. At last, I finally have a solid reason to upgrade the CPU, RAM and motherboard. The first time I ran Kontrol, it took nearly 25 minutes to load all the previews and scan the libraries etc before I was able to use it.

I like Guitar Rig 6 and am converting all my projects over to it from GR5. The interface is a lot easier to use with bigger knobs and sliders, the presets and general sound sound better out of the box, especially the bass amp presets. I've never been a fan of Amplitube, I've tried it a number of times but don't like the interface and the shop business. I use S-gear mainly, I haven't done any direct comparisons with the GR6 amps against S-gear yet but I use GR5/6 FX with S-gear anyway so will look at that.

It's good to have it, I spend less time fiddling than I did with GR5. The interface is more inspiring for me.

• Like 3